Newfoundland Hunter Takes a Swim to Save Moose Calves

Field Notes

May 28, 2010

Newfoundland Hunter Takes a Swim to Save Moose Calves

By Chad Love

From the story on CBC News:

A central Newfoundland man waded into a freezing cold pond last weekend to save two moose calves. Junior Downey was at his cabin at Moccasin Lake, near Grand Falls–Windsor, when he spotted the young moose struggling in the water. "One had its leg caught. So I took him out of it," said Downey. "The other one was half in the water with her head down, eyes closed, and didn't even move when I picked her up. I brought them up and put them on the patio deck and dried them off as best I could with two blankets." Downey said the mother of the pair was not far away and when the two calves recovered they rejoined their mother. Downey, who is also a hunter, told CBC News that the last moose he carried was the one he shot last fall.

from Sb Wacker wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

What, PETA still hasn't done a press release about this?
SBW

from scott powers wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

wow animal right should be all over this in about 3.....2......1..... lol just kidding.

from babsfish4life wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

What impresses me most is that he PICKED UP two moose calves with the mother nearby. That is gutsy, I would almost concider it a suicide mission. Cool story.

from shane wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Yeah, this was full on stupid. It's called nature. Just let it happen.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Yeah picking up a moose does seem like a suicide mission. You would think that they would kick or bite or something.

Shane I just can't agree that a perfectly capable person should sit back and watch those creatures die. He had to get a little dirty, but he will not regret the decision in a few years when he puts one of those moose in his freezer.

Oh ya, I almost forgot, the antis should thank him. He saved an animal life, whether he has taken one in the past or not doesn't matter. Just think if he didn't save them, then he really would be a cruel killer....

from Bella wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

As a woman with a heart, I would make the attempt, as a huntress, I would say more moose to hunt in the future.
As far as Mother Moose goes, It sounds like she figured out what was going on. Kudos to that brave man who did the right thing at the right time. Men should be stewards of the woods they enjoy and hunt and this qualifies nicely.

from steve182 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I applaud his effort, although i think it was not very wise knowing Mom was near. I agree with Shane about letting nature take it's course, however cruel it may be, but I would probably have been compelled to do the same as the aforementioned fool.

from muskiemaster wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

ha, and peta had what to say about this? I don't know if I could do it with mom moose being right there. I'd try my best but getting close to a full grown moose is a dangerous thing.

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from Sb Wacker wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

What, PETA still hasn't done a press release about this?
SBW

from scott powers wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from babsfish4life wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from shane wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Yeah, this was full on stupid. It's called nature. Just let it happen.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report