Hurteau: Make Your Own Wrist Sling

Whitetail 365

June 11, 2010

Hurteau: Make Your Own Wrist Sling

By Dave Hurteau

Just for you, Walt. (Isn’t it nice to be influential?) But also for anyone who wants a good wrist sling but doesn’t want to pay $20 to $25 for it, here is an excellent three-part video from Project Bow on how to make one yourself with common materials for about $3. Here's Part I. If you just want a very simple sling, you can skip the cobra-weave portion (Part II). By the same token, you don’t absolutely need a leather bracket to attach the sling to the riser (Part III). On the other hand, if you follow all three steps, you’ll have one very slick sling.

from ckRich wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

I learned how to make my own slings a few months ago from this video series. It's very easy and a great way to pass the slowwinter months. To date, I've made about 20-30 slings for me and my friends. Everytime I shoot with someone new I get compliments and a request for a custom sling.

from s-kfry wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

ouch to the haters!

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

Wrist slings at the very least give you the confidence to grip your bow the way it should be gripped. The worst thing would be to have one that is too tight.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

3 dolla, no holla.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

Good article Dave, nice to see you helping fellow hunters save a buck here and there unlike Petzal singing the praises of $5000.00 30-06"s. I've only shot my bow open handed like that a couple of times and I found myself worrying more about where the bow was going that where the arrow should be. Of course nobody ever said anything about a damn strap either, now after seeing this I might just give it a whirl again. Thanks!

from arky_hunter wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

Slings are for sure a great help

from ckRich wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

Great point buckhunter! Think of it like an old adjustable seatbelt: loose enough to be comfortable and move around, yet still there for safety purposes.

from 2Poppa wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

Great 3-part video!
Anything to save a few bucks!
I use my wrist sling sometimes to just carry my Mathews to give over used muscles a rest as I stalk.

from bowhunter4e wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

wow...my videos made it to field and stream eh? too cool. Thanks for the positive comments everyone, if you have something that you want to see on youtube, just pm me, or email me on my channel.

from bowhunter4e wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

P.S. The Haters deserved it!!! lol, you should've seen some of the emails I got from them.

from gfr2395 wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

cabela's bargain cave sometimes has decent wrist slings for under $10. I got mine for $5.

from darksoldierscadamia wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

i been making them for my buddies here and in texas.. was stationed there at fort hood. depending on the sling, i tend to charge about seven dollars. also fun to make are call drop lanyard necklaces. and i have even been known to make paracord belts and slings.

from Jessica wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

It's really an excellent project.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

from s-kfry wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

ouch to the haters!

from countitandone wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

3 dolla, no holla.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

from arky_hunter wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

Slings are for sure a great help

from ckRich wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

Great 3-part video!
Anything to save a few bucks!

from bowhunter4e wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

from bowhunter4e wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

from gfr2395 wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from darksoldierscadamia wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Jessica wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

It's really an excellent project.