Video: A Hunting Camp for Canine Couch Potatoes

Man's Best Friend

June 11, 2010

Video: A Hunting Camp for Canine Couch Potatoes

By David DiBenedetto

Herewith your Friday dose of good humor, courtesy of The New York Times. This video follows a reporter and his bassett hound through a weekend camp designed to stimulate a house dog’s hunting instinct. (You’ll enjoy the scene of the reporter pouring scent straight from the bottle to form a scent trail.)

We all know a dog doesn’t become a gun dog in a weekend. But, hey, still good to hear non-hunters thinking about the sport—and what their dogs were bred for.

The brilliant people here are the camp owners…talk about an easy way to turn a dollar.

from dmayer4741 wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

LMAO...Even my Yorkie wants to dive into the brush after every rabbit or squirrel she smells!

from Blue Ox wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

My mastiff does his best to lumber after any rabbits he finds in the garden. He'll never catch one, but it's amusing to see him put forth the effort.

from MPN wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

My german shorthair points the rabbits down and starts shaking after about 5 mins then looks back at me wondering when I'm gonna shoot haha.

from Quackwacker wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

what a great example of what the AKC and dog shows have done to some fine breeds!

Elvis has left the building!

from shane wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

This post plus the last and how they tie together for me has convinced me to comment here. Might be my first. I've never had a gun dog but I've always felt compelled to let them act out their wolf ways. Between house mice, chipmunks that refuse to leave the neighbors garage, or some unlucky rabbits that zigged instead of zagged, I've let my boxers earn some prey and taste real blood. Supposedly the instant they taste blood they are never the same and are somehow dangerous. I disagree. They've been exposed, and are so gentle and considerate around children of all ages and sizes that they rival the human parents. Supposedly boxers are known for this more than most, but some dogs really impress me with their consciousness of not only how fragile, but inconsiderate and uneducated (about dogs) children can be. No amount of abuse could bring anything but the gentlest behavior out of them.

from MPN wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

Hey Blue Ox it's been a while. When I started using this site about 5 years ago it was always you, yooperjack and Bubba making the good comments. Glad to see ya came back.

from coyute wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

haha!

from mdrewhall wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

I need to come up with a camp for couch potato dogs around here. I'll just let their owners give me money and then say I can teach them to be wild. Those dogs are far beyond their prime and have long since lost their born hunting instincts.

www.OutdoorWriter.net

from s-kfry wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

I think some of the owners need some boot camp!

from muskiemaster wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

i can't explain how hard I laughed when he set the dummy down and proceeded to dump the bottle of scent on the ground and the dog rolled around. but hey he gets effort points for trying at least. ha

from dmayer4741 wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

from MPN wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

from Quackwacker wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

Elvis has left the building!

from shane wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

from MPN wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

from coyute wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

haha!

from mdrewhall wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

www.OutdoorWriter.net

from s-kfry wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

I think some of the owners need some boot camp!

from muskiemaster wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago