Bourjaily: Hunting Trophies by Walden & Bork

The Gun Nuts

July 29, 2010

Bourjaily: Hunting Trophies by Walden & Bork

By Phil Bourjaily

The Walden & Bork purse in this picture is made of ostrich skin, which, for all I know, is not an unusual accessory among those better-heeled than myself. What makes it unusual, and appropriate for this space, is that W&B will take the hide of an animal you shoot and custom make it into a high quality leather piece. I think that’s a very cool idea: besides the head on the wall and the meat in the freezer, you can have the hide of almost any trophy animal you take made into a wallet, a checkbook holder, a three ring binder, a purse, a money clip, gloves, all kinds of stuff. You send Walden & Bork a tanned hide, wait 8-12 weeks, pay them a goodly sum of money (the purse above sells for $745) and you’re all set. Yes, it costs a lot, but so do ostrich-hunting trips, from what I hear.

I recently had a chance to look through a box of Walden & Bork leather goods and the workmanship – which is done here in the USA – is outstanding. All in all, as someone who believes that using as much of any animal you kill as possible is a laudable idea, I like what W&B is doing.

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

So the purse sells for $745, but you provide the materials and do the tanning yourself? You don't get some kinda "I did more than half the work" discount? Seems pretty bogus to me, although I guess if you've got the money, money stops being an object.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

IT'S THE PRICE YOU PAY FOR A "KITCHEN PASS"! ROFLMAO!

from Dcast wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Who the hell would hunt ostrich anway?
Is ostrich some new dangerous game hunt now?!
Does ostrich taste like chicken?

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Dcast

Smite one of these economy sized Rhode Island Reds and "dangerous" game will take on a whole new meaning, with feathers attached!!
Ask anybody who has ever "ranched" these birds and they will explain that they can deliver a judo "chop" that will absolutely "take your breath away!".
Dangerous as in, will eat you? NO!
Dangerous as in, can kill you? ABSOLUTELY! Just pi** one off!! (Note operative word, CAN, not WILL)

Bubba

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Dcast

A thigh & leg is a dinner for 4!

from Sb Wacker wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Good eating, and no not like chicken at all - kind of like rump steak but, not if you see what it mean.

Not that I can currently afford one - but 750 isn't that much when you consider the work that goes into a hand sticked pice of luggage.

SBW

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Yeah and what is up with these stupid purses that cost more than a gun these days? My wife and daughter both have this obsession. I blame it on reality TV...

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Looks like quality stuff; but not cost effective..

from fortyfive70 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

just went to their web page.....I can afford the key fob

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Good idea, except I am sure there are people that could do at least as good of job if not better for far less if they had the ambition. All I really wanted to say though is that I wish F&S could get rid of all this spam thats taken over.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Might go well with Yohan's Hello Kitty drawers.

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

My taxidermy bill is expensive enough as it is. Nice purse nevertheless...I just don't need one right now. Maybe I should check with the wife as our 35th anniversary is coming up next month.

from green pond mike wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

No offense Yohan, but the comment WA Mtnhunter made was a dandy. First bubba are you the bubba that was on here regular in 2007-2008? If you are, good to see you back--I thought you done passed on. Maybe my wife needs a purse like that, seeing that I have to buy her one regular because the straps broke or something. I don't care how expensive it is though, I will not be caught holding it. I said that one tome on the C.B. radio and they teased me about it to the point where when we had a C.B. get together ol giddyup grabbed my wife's purse in front of everyone and put it beside me and said "redneck--here's your purse". I told my wife to get that thing away from me!

from green pond mike wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Hank111, be carefull how you talk about the spam because I commented right under four posts of it and then the webmaster erased it and it made me look like I was attacking legetimate folk. Needless to say,I did some backtracking when I found out.

from elmer f. wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I LIKE WHAT THEY ARE DOING AS WELL, BUT @ $745.00 STRICTLY FOR LABOR AND DIEING THE SKIN, THEY CAN KEEP IT. MAYBE I AM JUST TO FRUGLE, BUT THAT IS JUST WAY TO MUCH MONEY.

from jim in nc wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Or you can send your hides to W.B.Place in Wisconsin and they'll tan them into all sorts of clothes, luggage, gloves, motorcycle chaps, whatever, at a hell of a lot lower price. And nice work, too. I have a coat, bag, and gloves. Use the whole deer.

from white bison wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Maybe I can get bathing trunks made of my Zebra skin &
waltz around "muscle beach" in California & drive the fruitcakes nuts?! Maybe too risky?!

Tom

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

white bison

Just don't drop your sunglasses....

from thebigone wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

do they do hedghogs and porcupines?

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

WAM 10-4 your last twx! Heh Heh

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I have eaten Ostrich and it is very tasty.

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

PRODUCT WARNING!!!

Off topic but just came across this, S&W M&P 15-22 evidently has some safety issues, Dave you may want to check into this one as much as this gun is being hyped in several mags.
Check out http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/07/31/sw-mp-15-22-kaboom/

Nice pics of the destruction, no mention of whether there is a 22 cal bullet in the bore or if it actually exited, luckily the guy had eye protection or he might be blind or close from the description of what happened.

from thebigone wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

what could they do with possum hide?

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Jim in nc ;
Do you happen to have a web site for W.B. Place ?

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Bigone,

There are all sorts of possibilities with a possum. The most obvious is that a femal hide will come standard with a hidden compartment. The prehensile tail would also be quite handy as a self grasping handle.

from fortycal wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Does anyone out there know why my wallet keeps turning into a suitcase?

from chesney14 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Are you guys running out of material? What a waist of good space.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

fortycal

You had it made out of foreskin?

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Wam you beat me to that one!

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

green pond mike

That be me!

Bubba

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Well, it's cheaper than a Gucci, but I have to wonder what it would cost to have a holster made out of cowhide.

from MLH wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I have a friend who just ain't relate her ostrich purse and shoes with the real life bird. Same goes for her leather shoes and other goods to cattle.

I agree - ostrich is very good meat.

from KJ wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

The purse is nice, but it doesn't match my shoes.

from jim in nc wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Dale Freeman:
they are in Hartford, Wis., and at www.wbplace.com
Jim

from Axe2Grind wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

WB Place no longer works with hunters individually and Walden and Bork doesn't do any tanning. Your best bet is Trophy Hides by Uber Tanning. They've been around for over 100 years and they do a great job. Their site is: www.TrophyHidesLeather.com

from fortyfive70 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

just went to their web page.....I can afford the key fob

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Might go well with Yohan's Hello Kitty drawers.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

IT'S THE PRICE YOU PAY FOR A "KITCHEN PASS"! ROFLMAO!

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Dcast

Dangerous as in, will eat you? NO!

Bubba

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Looks like quality stuff; but not cost effective..

from white bison wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Maybe I can get bathing trunks made of my Zebra skin &

Tom

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

white bison

Just don't drop your sunglasses....

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Dcast

A thigh & leg is a dinner for 4!

from Sb Wacker wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

SBW

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from green pond mike wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from green pond mike wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from elmer f. wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from jim in nc wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from thebigone wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

do they do hedghogs and porcupines?

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

WAM 10-4 your last twx! Heh Heh

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

PRODUCT WARNING!!!

Check out http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/07/31/sw-mp-15-22-kaboom/

from thebigone wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

what could they do with possum hide?

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Jim in nc ;
Do you happen to have a web site for W.B. Place ?

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Bigone,

from fortycal wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Does anyone out there know why my wallet keeps turning into a suitcase?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

fortycal

You had it made out of foreskin?

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I have eaten Ostrich and it is very tasty.

from chesney14 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Are you guys running out of material? What a waist of good space.

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Wam you beat me to that one!

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

green pond mike

That be me!

Bubba

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I agree - ostrich is very good meat.

from KJ wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

The purse is nice, but it doesn't match my shoes.

from jim in nc wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Dale Freeman:
they are in Hartford, Wis., and at www.wbplace.com
Jim

from Axe2Grind wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Dcast wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Who the hell would hunt ostrich anway?
Is ostrich some new dangerous game hunt now?!
Does ostrich taste like chicken?

-3 Good Comment? | | Report