Bourjaily On "Modern Sporting Rifles"

The Gun Nuts

July 27, 2010

Bourjaily On "Modern Sporting Rifles"

By Phil Bourjaily

Maybe the rifle shown here is the answer to the AR 15’s “black rifle” image problem. Who couldn’t love a rifle like this? I think it’s cute. My son took one look and changed his Facebook status to “I just saw a Hello Kitty AR15!” He wants one.

This is a real rifle. the odd grip was intended to make it “California Legal” (no pistol grips or collapsible stocks in CA); the magazine, by C Products, looks high-cap but holds only 10 rounds. The paint job was done by Armory Airbrush.

The cuddly pink rifle reminds me that the National Shooting Sports Foundation is currently trying to remake the AR’s image not by painting black rifles pink ,but by renaming them “MSRs” (Modern Sporting Rifle) as seen in ads like this one:

In its campaign the NSSF correctly points out that many commonly used sporting rifles, such as bolt actions, began as weapons of war, and that the AR/MSR is simply the latest iteration of that trend.

It will be interesting to see if gun owners, by and large a resolutely politically incorrect group, will adopt the new terminology, and interesting too, to see if changes public perception.

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I don't think so. That package comes with a semi-automatic action, which has never caught on in this country for deer hunting. I think the NSSF is pushing the AR platform to juice up firearms sales in general.
A worthy cause for the industry, but a disservice to new uninformed shooters.
And BTW, while historically, many sporting rifles did begin as weapons of war, their commercial counterparts were altered to shed their bulk and streamline their appearance; they were not offered not as exact copies.

from Moose1980 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I've contemplated getting a Rem R-15 for coyotes, but I definately wont be toting one into the white-tail woods. But I do have a Stag Arms M-4 clone which is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. After the initial cost of the rifle, quality .223 ammo from Cabelas, etc. is relatively cheap compared to bigger bore hunting ammo, and is easy on the shoulder. Who doesn't love putting lead down range?? And thats the only reason I bought it, is to have fun with it.

from MJC wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I keep seeing those NSSF ads and frankly I don't buy it. I'm not saying that using ARs for big game hunting is wrong necessarily, I just don't see the point. Semi-autos aren't needed in 99% of big game hunting applications and despite what the ads claim ARs aren't noted for reliability. (There is an assault rifle famous for legendary reliability, but it's the AK not the AR.) I'd rather stick with bolt actions and their myriad of cartridge choices.

BTW- My background has military in it and I've put many, many rounds through M-16s so I'm not saying the above just because ARs don't look like Grandpa's rifle.

from jjas wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

They can paint it any color they wish. I'll pass.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Now if some manufacturing firm would take the AR action and lengthen it so it would be chambered for long cases-.270, .280, 30.06., 35 remington, etc. I would get excited and buy one. ps-- that paint job is sick!

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I'm thinking the camo AR's are beginning to look a lot more like sporting rifles than weapons of mass destruction. It is just a matter of time. They are accurate and really fun at the range too.

I know the Remington R-15's and R-25's started out around $800 and now they are $1,300... somebody must be buying them. I want one in .308 I might even hunt with it, but with this stupid economy I can't even afford ammo...

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

No thanks!

from HogBlog wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Hey, if you like them and the "coolness factor" is a selling point to you, then go for it! And if that coolness factor brings more hunters and shooters to the ranks, then I welcome it with open arms.

While the NSSF might occasionally bark up the wrong tree, I don't think they're far off the mark with their message. The way a gun looks has nothing whatsoever to do with its lethality. They're just guns. They have legitimate uses and illegitimate uses... the deciding factor is the person at the trigger.

As far as adopting the new, PC language... I don't see it happening soon. Maybe the new generation, the folks who are going to be the leading market for these things anyway, will be more apt to adopt it. Time will tell.

from huntslow wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

My first big game hunting rifle was an unmodified Springfield. My uncle (who taught me how to shoot) gave it to me. He shot a Garand for a few years and when a Marine buddy wanted his Garand, he sold it. He then went back to a Remington pump in 30-06. While he took 2 deer every year for many years, almost always using only 1 shot each, he still wanted the Garand. He was 6'4" and a tough farmer so he said the weight made it hold steady. He taught that if the first shot was not a killing shot - DO NOT SHOOT! He was not big on firepower, but the Garand had saved his life in WWII and he loved it as a sporting gun.

from deanlikes2fish wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

My wife alrady comandeered one of my M4 clones and put barbie stickers on it, i think she will have a cow when she sees this rifle, and you know what, I am all for it. The ar platform is genius, reliable, and alot of fun to mess around with. I shoot everything from coyotes to deer, and all it takes is two pins to change out upper receivers and therefore change calibers. Do that with a rem 700 and ensure it shoots moa every time.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Nein, danke.

from 60256 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Your son wanted one?! Please tell me he was kidding...

Nate

from fortycal wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Caution! Use of any pink firearm will result in immediate testicular reduction and loss of all body and facial hair. Enough with the PC BS already!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

forty, YOU CRACK ME UP! +1!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

This is getting both entertaining and entertaining. The beauty of the AR platform, you don't have the bedding problems and majority of the work is plug and play by the user!

Pink for a boy?

?

from hal herring wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I don't need a pink rifle, and that grip looks like it would be incredibly uncomfortable.

But I'm all for the mainstreaming of the AR platform rifles.

I've shot a Colt Sporter since the mid-90's, and while it is not my meat rifle, it could be. If, God forbid, I could have only one rifle, it would be that old Colt Sporter, H-bar, .223.

It's super simple to keep clean, it always works, it shoots a very good group, it is easy to carry and operate, and my son, daughter and wife would have no problem using it effectively to hunt or for self-defense. .223s are light, and readily available. And so on.

from fortycal wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Hey Hal, Could not agree more on the H-Bar. Definitely the sire of many of todays allegedly cutting edge AR rifles.

from johntalbott wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

no pistol grips? i guess even hello kitty LOOKS too badass for CA

from 1Breen wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

At Last! A rifle for my 19 year-old daughter... She has Hello Kitty EVERYWHERE! Her room... her car... her purse... her laptop... Thanks! She shot with me and I carried her hunting when she was small. She would absolutely Love this!!!

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Someone said in a quote that the semi-auto never caught on for deer hunting. 30 years ago about 3 in 5 of every deer hunters from southern WV that I checked deer hunting was carrying a Remington 742 in 30-06. When I retired 4 years ago there were still quite a few hunters carrying the 742's deer hunting. The only thing stopping them is the fact that you can't get parts for the 742 anymore. The 742 with the basket weave checkering was a prized possession. I suspect some of you have one stuck back somewhere.

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

YETCH!!!

from damo450 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Sarge01, Totally agree. There is more old 742 woodsmasters floating around Missouri than anything. My grandpa's 30-06 carbine with a K4 steel tube goes with me at least once every season. And I will bet David Petzal has at least one rifle with hello kitty painted on it.

from fortycal wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Hey damo, I inherited my mom's early seventies vintage 742 in 6mm rem. She harvested at least three dozen pronghorns and mulies with it in her career as the Hat Creek Reaper. Most of these were long though ethical shots, many times in adverse conditions. We found the 742 to be an accurate and trustworthy ally.

from MLH wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

One that shoots .410 shotshells would be a perfect complement to The Judge. Can't see that its pink in the dark anyway. Never fear, Hello Kitty's here.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

AR is here folks and gaining momentum!

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Yeah no pink for boys if my son wanted a pink rifle he and I would have to have a serious conversation.

And the Leupold gold ring in the video just makes me feel comfortable with the rifle. It is much more PC than a bayonet. Civilians and non gun owners just look at it in a different light. They should have kept the magazine small, if you need more than five rounds hunting something is seriously awry.

from Carney wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

You've probably heard it before, "Assault is a behavior not a weapon." Nevertheless, my sense of wellbeing feels assaulted by this Hello Kitty thing...

If I get an AR, it will be chambered in .50 Beowulf.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

China recently got there Google license back, looks like there making full use of it!

50 Beowulf® 300g Gold Dot Loaded Ammuntion
ammunition. Box of 20 rounds.
Price: $25.04

Not bad for an odd ball!

from wingshooter54 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Hmmm....painted pink maybe Lindsay Lohan or the Hilton chick will promote em'. I'll just stick with my old wood stocked Ruger Ranch Rifle; I have too many 20 & 30 round clips for it to change now.

from elmer f. wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

well, in my opinion, a pink paint job and a new name is just blowing smoke you know where. i guess i am one of those "politicly uncorrect" people you mentioned. i do not believe in pulling punches. i do not believe we owe the whiney cry babies any explanation for what we are doing. if they are afraid of guns, i am willing to help them change their mind by exposing them to guns in a good way. there is nothing wrong with guns, there never has been. the problem lies in a few high profile people that have either had a very bad experience with one (as in they were mugged, robbed, etc.) or they are just plain ignorant. if they were assaulted, they are putting the blame in the wrong place. it is the person doing the crime that is at fault. people have been hurting people since the beginning of time. guns took a long time coming. if they are ignorant, then all we as a group or individually can do is expose them to guns in a good way. if they still can not get over their fear of guns, then they need to see one of their wambie-pambie therapists. and leave the rest of the free world alone. if it were not for guns, we may all be saluting swastica's. if it were not for private gun ownership, Japan would have surely invaded main land america in WWII. private gun ownership is one of the biggest protection form invasion by other countries that we have. if the anti's get their way, and all private gun ownership gets banned (assuming that we gave up our guns) there would be nothing stopping anyone from invading our country. they forget that the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA has never fought a war on our turf. there is a reason for that. as it stands now, no country would stand a chance in he** of an invasion working due in no small part to the millions of guns in private ownership throughout this country.

from kudukid wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Bourjaily and Dave,
wbaspsqll (jade jewelry fashion accessories ethnic jewelry)needs to be blocked from this site...seems to be enjoying putting in duplicate chinese garbage just to clog the works.

from nc30-06 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

What the hell is going on here? wbaspsqll and yhwebcn01, go sell your crap somewhere else.

from nc30-06 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Well said elmer.

from SL wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I just love it how magazines and the likes of the NSSF in this video try to brainwash people into thinking AR's are the next best thing in hunting arms. What BS! All it is, is a sales ploy and nothing else. Absolutely NO need to buy one to put a deer down. Plenty of other weapons will do the job and maybe do the job even better. I guess true sporting arms must not be selling to well of late, and I hope this isn't an indication that hunting is on a serious decline. They are probably making more money with these AR rifles, so of course they will push what is making most profits for them, but ideal hunting arms they are not in my opinion.

from Quahog wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Try purple with a Beavis & Butthead decal.

from ejunk wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

99 makes a fair point in his first post - semi-autos haven't been popular in big game rifles in the past, so it's reasonable to wonder if they will be in the future.

I used to think they were pretty stupid, but, the more I see the things, the less I care (even this one!). I have zero desire to own one (and they're literally flooding the classifieds of the local stuff-trader newspaper so there might be a lot of buyer's remorse out there) and I don't see the bolt action rifles that I do love going anywhere, either, so everything is fine by me.

yrs-
Evan!

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I'm waiting for the Transformers version. Or G.I. Joe.

from Skeetrider wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I'm amazed when I read the disrespect for an AR and the fawning love for Garands and M1-As. OK calling the AR a Modern Sporting Rifle is a sales and marketing campaign, and a very good one. It seems the technology of rifles has improved dramatically and old timers don't like it. Well go join the anti gunners because when you don't welcome the new guy into the room the antis notice and use your opinions against you. We really have to stop describing guns by the color of the barrels. Is a camo Rem 700 a Hunting rifle but a black Rem 700 a Sniper rifle?? Think about it. When they make an AR with a 14 3/4 length of pull I'll take a good look at one.

from mthomas wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Pretty uniformed comment on sales. This is the hottest category and they can't make enough. Shown is not an AK but a semi automatic AR. All our guns came from the military history...this is no different and should be considered.

Darn good video!

Bottom line,

Say what negative feelings you have against the AR platform; just like the Crossbows popularity and misinformation both becoming soon equally acceptable in everyday life.

It's not what you like or not, it's about what tomorrows Youth who will adopt not us Ol'Farts!

from yohan wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

YUK YUK YUK !!!

Yup this has to be my NEXT rifle
A pink "wanna be " of the the gun ( excuse me weapon ) that shot the "H " out of the South East Asian conferece.other was of course the AK

I can hardly wait to see the look on the faces of a couple guys I consistently hunt with.
One of which is a hard bitten ( and thanfully for the bad guys retired) as he puts it
officer of the M F in Law. ; )

Think I will need to decrease clip ( "magazine" for the youngsters) capacity as if memory serves
its 5 max up in WI.in certain venues.

When I uncase that that puppy ( maybe better have some oxigen and nirto pills available ) cuase certain hearts may contemplate failure YUK YK

Or Hmmmm ???,.. maybe spare the expence ,. have an old JC higgens 30-30 thats been hinding in the closet for years ( bought as pot gun and back up) it was never used to hunt anything but squirrels and grouse.
( (another story :)

Spray that hot pink , get one of those
40 gallon pink cowboy hats ( like you see women with big h@@ters wearing at football games )
as fireside " apre hunt " attire yuk yuk
Ahhh ,. yes Mr Boujaily ,. its a great idea
Just hope it dosent cause any minnor heart attacks : ) Thank you !!

from Bubba Squirrel wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Asking for approval from an old fart like me is a waste of time. I still think Jim Carmichael was exactly right.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Yohan

Be sure to wear matching pink Hello Kitty panties on your trip. LOL

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Your SON wants a pink rifle?????????
Is he contemplating some surgical alterations as well?
Good God Man, haven't you introduced him to beer and girls yet? How far gone is he? Does he watch Ben Afflec movies and comment on how good he looks yet? Has he watched Brokeback Mountain more than once?

As to the Modern Rifle vs Semi-Auto debate I'd like to know why no-one calls them what they truly are, Self Loaders! There's nothing Automatic about them.......

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Hehe, get the thong.........

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Two concerns about the AR by the non-hunters in my area: why the need for 10,20 or 30 shot magazines on a hunting rifle, and, the fear that the AR can be easily converted to full automatic with little trouble. In their minds the fear of this happening is real. IF you used a walnut stock and fore grip, blued the metal and had only a five shot capacity clip, would that change anything? Or as one fellow put it, "it looks like old people wanting to be a kid again and play soldier". Speaking as an old GI, MOS 11B10, I have no desire to own one, but thankfully it's still a free country. Do what you will and be safe.

from huntenthusiest wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Having only been shooting AR's for five years now, I'll admit I'm hooked on em'.The diversity of the platform is amazing.There are three calibers in my battery and working on the fourth. It's what's under that pink coat that counts.

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

If PA hunting law didn't restrict hunting firearms to manually operated guns I'd be hunting with my SKS, I shoot 3-4 inch groups with open sights, scope that thing and I'd bet it would be better than my marlin 30-30 for hunting. If I could afford an AR (chambered for something bigger than a 22 LR on steroids) and it was legal I'd hunt with it if it shot accurately. I don't give a damn what it looks like for hunting!

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from thebigone wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

looks like it's best to shoot it lyinging down with a grip like that.. but then again with a GUN like that i would try and lie as low as possible anyway.

from blueridge wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Interesting comments on this...elmer f was incorrect about no wars being fought on our soil. The War Between the States was fought here, as well as on the high seas. the war of 1812 was fought here, and the White House was burned.

Don't know what all that has to do with a woman's rifle. Seems that one gun scribe was fired for expressing an honest opinion about such things. But, those who profit from gun sales held the checkbook.

I admire the man who will limit his hunting weapons, and number of rounds. Give the critter more of an even break, I would think. But, that is just my two cents worth.

Blue

from thebigone wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

if deer and varmints are attracted to pink and kittten wearing pink then i might buy it( or make a blind out of the stuff...) if not i'd buy it just so i could take a little girl out huntin.
unless it was fully auto then i would buy it just so i could send it to the soldiers in iraq with a letter "here, if this doesn't make them look twice long enough for you to take a shot then nothin will!"

from 007 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I'll stick with bolt or lever guns, thanks anyway. I never cared for an autoloader anyway, don't like the way they broadcast empty brass like so much grass seed.

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Wam, I goose!tta get my redhead "Main Squeeze" a few pairs of those!

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

But she is too shy to wear em though :(

from yohan wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

YUK YUK WAM

You ,. are either the boss
or apparentlly have too mcuh time on your hands .

In my small kingdom (I) am the f ing boss and even I dont have time to search womens under garments

SHEEESH !!

Moshie ,.. gets da redhead something better : )

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from wingshooter54 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

more thoughts on this....... Why the hell would you care if the grip was California legal or not? Unless you lived in Ca.& why the hell would you want to do that?
Some of the guys I hunt with here in Texas would probably shoot me if I showed up with any kind of rifle painted pink. They all gave me hell once for having a synthetic stocked rifle, and one old geezer thought my CZ 550 full stock 6.5x55 looked like a "war rifle". He shot a 1960's era Sako deluxe .270. You know, they don't make rifles like that anymore......

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Nah, Yo. Neither.

A quick Google search for the Hello Kitty drawers only took 30 seconds or so. I just pop in and out between chores and making money. LOL

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

O'WAM, KITTY BRITCHES! CRACK ME UP!

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

the very thought of naming an AR-15 old betsie, our forefathers will roll in their graves! I have a friend who thinks hunting should only be done with a muzzleloader. of course this is the guy who wants their to be a paintball season for grizzly bear....

from Jerry A. wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

To each is own. I someone wants to hunt with one, as long as it's an appropriate caliber for the game he is after, I would not be opposed. I wouldn't care for that paint job personally, but I'm sure some people would.

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I don't think the "image problem" of the black rifle has anything to do with its color. I think people resent being told to get over their obsession with traditional sporting rifle styling, and "get with the program."

from phale wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

btw guys and gals they do make ar's in a hunting caliber, .308. i know of a few very good ones made by armalite and dpms, they are called an ar10.
i currently hunt with one and like it better then a remington 700

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Some people just never get it.
After all, reading between the lines is not for your everyday rocket scientist.

from green pond mike wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I sure hope the last two posters don't get ahold of any of our emails. My brother-in-law would like that gun since he was wanting to buy his daughter a pink .243!

from 86Ram wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

A pink AR... like other pink guns and fishing poles and archery targets:
1. How gady
2. WTF
3. WTH?
4. How much more can you make them out to be toys and jokes than to put hello kitty on it.
Seriously I understand the concept of appealing to women but not like this.

from 86Ram wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

*** Gawdy not gady

from Deepwoods wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I see this painted up and transformed AR (legal in CA) as being something that a small child would be drawn to. I can see why CA would allow it, one more statistic for the anti-gunners. My idea of the perfect hunting rifle is truly accurate, tough enough for the woods, and light enough to carry around in the woods (6 to 7#). Once I have that, it would be a rare instance I would need more than one round, but if I do I have it ready fast with a good old bolt action lever or pump). In my neck of the deer woods in Northern Michigan you would be laughed out of deer camp if you showed up looking like you were going into a fire fight. So I guess what I'm saying is make one that weighs 6 1/2 pounds, has only two or three round magazine, and doesn't look like your going to war, and I might buy one. Then again I guess I would miss the warmth of a wood stock.

from Nycflyangler wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

This would be illegal in NYC. It's illegal to paint a real firearm to look like a toy.

It's a shame. This would be great for dealing with our feral pig problem.

from squirrelgirl wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

hello kitty meets the terminator. nice just a bit creepy

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Good observation Squirrelgirl!! , Yohann, I got her a pair, and she liked em.

from murdock32 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

So he wants a pink rifle>. Its OK Dad.

from green pond mike wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Dale freeman and phale, I wasn't talking about yall. I was commenting on some advertisments that were deleted that I didn't know would be. It looked like someone had decided to spam the blog.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Not only have I scoped more than one Rem 742 Woodsmaster, I also scoped several Browning BAR's. I didn't like them then, I don't like them now! But that's just me!
At this point, I do own a Ruger in 6.8. It's my hog rifle. My state doesn't allow detachable mags over 5 rounds while hunting. I want those five to mean something!
I have killed one deer with it. Absolutely perfect!

Bubba

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I have killed one deer with it. Absolutely perfect!

Bubba

from teqpirate wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I'm still hunting with an unmodified 1903 Springfield. However I also hunt 'yotes with a Mini-14 and intend to purchase a Modern Sporting Rifle. Still undecided on caliber. However it won't be PINK! Maybe a nice DuraCoat in Digital Camo.

from oldsarge wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Let me step into this argument. I'm retired Army, and have a full disability from the VA--metastatic prostate cancer from Agent Orange during my 2d VN tour in 1969. One of the spots where bone metastases have grouped is my right and left shoulders and humorous bones. Because of this I've had to sell off many of my bolt action centerfire rifles--especially a Remington 700 in .30-06 which was my absolute favorite hunting rifle. Went to lighter calibers, but they were too light for my favorite game animal here in California--the California Wild Pig. Recoil posed a problem--potential for a catastrophic fracture of either shoulder. I often thought that an AR based hunting rifle (think the .450 Bushmaster) in say .308 would be the ideal pig gun for someone needing a semi-auto rifle due to recoil sensitivity--or as in my case. When Remington brought out their R-25 I was greatly interested, but California laws prohibited the sale of the rifle in the state. However, certain allowances--specifically a magazine that could only be detached with a tool made the gun legal. Currently, I'm awaiting a California legal R-25 with four round magazine in .308 Winchester. Recently I fired an R-25 in another state, and found the recoil to be akin to a .30-30, with a bit of a light push directly into the shoulder. No muzzle jump or torque into my shoulder--no pain, just pure shooting joy. After several magazine loads through my friend's R-25, I had to have one. Despite its appearance, this rifle will allow me to hunt again. And that is what we as outdoors enthusiasts should focus on--not the "looks" of the chosen rifle.

from Shaky wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

I stated, a year or so ago on this blog, that I had no desire to own an AR, and that was a true statement. However, a friend offered to trade his to me to settle a debt, and knowing how attached to it he was, I declined.
Then very shortly, I had facial surgery to remove a large accumulation of cancer sells. Removed was all the muscle in my right cheek, which left me unable to shoot in my regular form. Then he had some serious family problems, and proposed the same offer again and I accepted, thinking I would be able to recover my loss. I took the rifle,(not a carbine,it has a 24"barrel) and ran a few rounds through it, was so amazed by its accuracy that upon my return home I installed a new VX111 3-9 on it and wouldn't sell this jewel for twice what I have invested in it. With my hand loads this rifle shoots .500"groups consistently and the best measures .220". The stock did seem much too short, but the way it comes up, it fits me just fine. As stated above, there is no noticeable recoil or muzzle jump, and I am awaiting a new upper in a heavier caliber, hoping to replace my '06 which I can no longer shoot. Note to all; just because I own a car that will run 160mph doesn't mean that I have to drive it that fast. Conversely, just because I am carrying an autoloader doesn't mean that I spray the woods, or even depend on the second shot, much less the 5th.

from oldsarge wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Skeetrider made a great point about "...welcoming the 'new guy' into the room...." Reminds me of the time someone got all worked up and indignant because I wanted a compound bow to renew my interest in archery. Now archers shoot compound bows that are shorter than their arrows. Go firgure.

from Huntingwithdaughters wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Painting a bazooka pink doesn't make it a "sporting rifle." I often tell my daughter that a pheasant is a $25 chicken with a fair chance of getting away.

Read Oretga's Mediations On Hunting. In this landmark work, this 19th c Spanish philosopher points out that in the history of hunting, as technology progressed, man has sought to use more primitive weapons. Bow hunting and black powder are excellent examples.

Girls do like their equipment in pretty colors. Alice wants her 28 ga shotgun to be pink! Probably her target rifle too. I think girls should have first class equipment in the colors they like but keep it sporting - bows, black powder, bolt action rifles and double guns. Teach them to count on the accuracy of the first shot and not to cover the field in a hail of bullets.

David Bershtein
www.huntingwithdaughters.com
Fair Lawn, NJ

from Huntingwithdaughters wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Aren't these blogs moderated? The spam spoils the dialogue. Where are you F&S? Why don't you enlist some volunteer moderators?

from RobRay1313 wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

I agree with the author AND his son-- I like the Hello Kitty rifle! This AR15 was created BECAUSE it is simultaneously very funny AND a full-on bludgeoning of the dead horse of "Political Correctness."

Honestly, what could be MORE Punk Rock/Metal/Man-up/bat-crap crazy than this rifle?! Most of you don't know/think about the homoerotic nature of the UFC, yet you think this rifle is "gay." Really?! Do you think Clint Eastwood was a pussy because he drove a pink Cadillac in the film "Pink Cadillac"?... well do ya, punk?!

from MJC wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Quahog wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Try purple with a Beavis & Butthead decal.

from mthomas wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Yohan

Be sure to wear matching pink Hello Kitty panties on your trip. LOL

from jjas wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

They can paint it any color they wish. I'll pass.

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from HogBlog wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from huntslow wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from fortycal wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Your SON wants a pink rifle?????????
Is he contemplating some surgical alterations as well?

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

A worthy cause for the industry, but a disservice to new uninformed shooters.

from Moose1980 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from 1Breen wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Hehe, get the thong.........

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

No thanks!

from deanlikes2fish wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from 60256 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Your son wanted one?! Please tell me he was kidding...

Nate

from johntalbott wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

no pistol grips? i guess even hello kitty LOOKS too badass for CA

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

YETCH!!!

from fortycal wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

If I get an AR, it will be chambered in .50 Beowulf.

from elmer f. wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from kudukid wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Bourjaily and Dave,

from SL wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

yrs-
Evan!

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I'm waiting for the Transformers version. Or G.I. Joe.

from Skeetrider wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Bubba Squirrel wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from huntenthusiest wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Nycflyangler wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

It's a shame. This would be great for dealing with our feral pig problem.

from Huntingwithdaughters wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Nein, danke.

Pink for a boy?

?

from hal herring wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

But I'm all for the mainstreaming of the AR platform rifles.

from fortycal wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from damo450 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

AR is here folks and gaining momentum!

from wingshooter54 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Nah, Yo. Neither.

from Jerry A. wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from phale wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

i currently hunt with one and like it better then a remington 700

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Some people just never get it.
After all, reading between the lines is not for your everyday rocket scientist.

from green pond mike wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

A pink AR... like other pink guns and fishing poles and archery targets:
1. How gady
2. WTF
3. WTH?
Seriously I understand the concept of appealing to women but not like this.

from 86Ram wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

*** Gawdy not gady

from Deepwoods wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from squirrelgirl wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

hello kitty meets the terminator. nice just a bit creepy

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I have killed one deer with it. Absolutely perfect!

Bubba

from oldsarge wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from Shaky wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from Huntingwithdaughters wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

David Bershtein
www.huntingwithdaughters.com
Fair Lawn, NJ

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

forty, YOU CRACK ME UP! +1!

50 Beowulf® 300g Gold Dot Loaded Ammuntion
ammunition. Box of 20 rounds.
Price: $25.04

Not bad for an odd ball!

from yohan wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

YUK YUK YUK !!!

Yup this has to be my NEXT rifle

officer of the M F in Law. ; )

its 5 max up in WI.in certain venues.

( (another story :)

Spray that hot pink , get one of those
as fireside " apre hunt " attire yuk yuk
Ahhh ,. yes Mr Boujaily ,. its a great idea
Just hope it dosent cause any minnor heart attacks : ) Thank you !!

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Wam, I goose!tta get my redhead "Main Squeeze" a few pairs of those!

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

But she is too shy to wear em though :(

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

O'WAM, KITTY BRITCHES! CRACK ME UP!

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Good observation Squirrelgirl!! , Yohann, I got her a pair, and she liked em.

from murdock32 wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

So he wants a pink rifle>. Its OK Dad.

from green pond mike wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I have killed one deer with it. Absolutely perfect!

Bubba

from teqpirate wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from oldsarge wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from RobRay1313 wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from yohan wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

YUK YUK WAM

You ,. are either the boss
or apparentlly have too mcuh time on your hands .

SHEEESH !!

Moshie ,.. gets da redhead something better : )

-2 Good Comment? | | Report