Anyone Have Plans for Dove Season?

Man's Best Friend

August 23, 2010

Anyone Have Plans for Dove Season?

By David DiBenedetto

So last post I was worked up about duck season and the video of that unbelievable Lab. And I still am. But a friend recently me sent the below image of his dove field along with an invite to come hunt it the first week of the season, which opens September 5 here in South Carolina.

In preparation, I spent yesterday shooting clays, so I’m not a total embarrassment in the field. My wife is counting on me as she loves jalapeño dove poppers (Click here for a killer recipe.) And Pritch, well, Pritch just might pop if I fire away and no birds fall from the sky. (Speaking of, Pritch and I also spent time yesterday at the gun club working on steady as the guns boomed in the background. The added element of the guns certainly help show her true colors—in short, she was rusty.)

Don’t know about you but I’m eagerly awaiting bird season. Anyone else going to get in on some dove action this year?

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Starting 1 September in Colorado, they open dove season. For eurasian doves, season opens indefinatly, meaning that they don't count in your overall bag and possesion limit of mourning doves, and the seasons will be lifted on them, so anytime you want some field time for the dog, you can get that and some doves for jalapeno dove poppers.

from pinopolis wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

nothing finer than a jalapeno dove popper!

from gman3186 wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

i havent been out for dove in about 9 years but i plan on going out this year and the corn fields are full of dove right now

from jamesti wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

i'm checking to see if there is dove hunting here in new york since i just moved here. can't wait to get out. those dove poppers sound yummy!

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Sept first for Kansas be there or be square. On our public fields the shooting is best opening morning. After that it is hard to get a shot. I have not seen a private pay to shoot field since moving here 20 years ago.

from Beaugator wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I would be shooting them in my native South Carolina as well, but thanks to the US Navy I will open up the dove season in Louisiana. Good luck!

from cTXn wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

That picture sent my heart pounding out of my chest with excitement. I've been looking forward to Sept. 1 for about 9 months now, and can't wait to get in the field. Not only does it open up dove season, but it signifies the beginning of an entirely new fall season in general.

from Coachcl wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Starts Sept 1st here in Missouri. I'm ready to get the dogs out for some early season work. Going to be fun time outside.

from Charlotte Cole wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I spent Sunday getting my brother ready for dove hunting. I am betting on the doves!

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

yepp i am going to flush em with my cousin and shoot em and if tjat dont work well do some convintnal hunting

from Nic Meador wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Sept.1 in OK, skipped school to scout a 40 or 50 acre corn field north of Ft. Gibson. I talked to the farmer and he told me he cut it Sunday. He also told me where the birds roosted, where they like to funnel the most, and the shale pit they like to gravel in the mid-mornings.

from hammer72 wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

David its sept. 4th for us that live in south carolina. Which is is my b-day so i will be celebrating it in the dove feild that afternoon. We have 2 feilds planted with millit, corn, sun flowers and wheat from last year just for the doves. Also it will be my dogs 1st full year at dove hunting and like you i have been doing all the training myself. Thats really what im looking forward to more than the shooting of the doves is to see how shes going to do.

from simple man wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

Headed out just me & the lab for a half-day early opening morning here near Denver, CO. It ain't the red-hot fields I remember from back-in-the-days in TX or NM, but we should do alright & it will be a nice opportunity to burn out the rust & welcome the kickoff of yet another year's steady lineup of hunting seasons! :))

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

Looking at the field looks like your wife will have plenty of poppers.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

This Wednesday, oh yeah. Mourning and Eurasian Collars are on a no bag limit...and I and the Perazzi 410 are ready. I've scouted out THE POND. The only fresh water within miles. My decoys will be strapped to the juxtapositional fence line on BLM property. And away we go...'cause no one knows about this nice little spot for the annual ambush here in Northern Nevada.

from Nycflyangler wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

I live in NYC, so it's always rock dove season. Just get out your trusty slingshot and take a stroll down the street. If that's too much effort, sit on the stoop and just throw out some bread. They'll come to you.

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

hammer72--You're right. It's Sept 4 in SC. One day closer. And good luck in the field. Pritch's first retrieve on a dove last year was one of the best moments of my time outdoors. Shoot well. -D

from jamesti wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from pinopolis wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

nothing finer than a jalapeno dove popper!

from gman3186 wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from Beaugator wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from cTXn wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from Coachcl wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from Nic Meador wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from Charlotte Cole wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from hammer72 wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

from simple man wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

Looking at the field looks like your wife will have plenty of poppers.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago