New Spectator Sport: Suburban Dove Hunting

Field Notes

August 30, 2010

New Spectator Sport: Suburban Dove Hunting

By Chad Love

With dove season in many states is set to kick off on Wednesday, access is always an issue for suburban hunters, especially those who hunt in suburban areas. In an area like Dallas-Fort Worth, you'd think there wouldn't be any hunting opportunities, right? Not exactly...

From this story  on NBC-DFW:
Camo gear, check. Hunting dogs, check. Shotguns, check. Hunting the symbol of peace within the city limits of one of the fastest growing cities in Texas, check. One shouldn't expect "Hunt ... in the City" to become Frisco's new motto, but it easily could be as the city allows dove hunting within the city limits and just a couple hundred yards from residences.

Starting Wednesday, more than 13,000 acres of land in Frisco, nearly 1/3 of the acreage of the city, will be available to dove hunters. With that much land area open to hunting, many residents will be able to watch hunters from their front porch. "It's a shotgun, so from that distance, it's not going to be a dangerous thing, like a deer-hunting rifle might be," said Bill Sherman, of Frisco. It's not the Wild West, though, and there are rules. Those rules are spelled out in Texas Senate Bill 1742 which states which types of weapons can be fired on annexed land after Sept. 1, 1981.

"A shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow can be discharged on a property that was annexed after 9/01/1981 and is: 10 acres or more, and more than: 1) 1000 ft from any public land, school, day care or hospital. 2) 600 ft from any residential subdivision and multifamily residential complex. 3) 150 ft from a residence or occupied building on another property.

A center fire or rim fire or pistol can be discharged on a property that was annexed after 9/01/1981 and is: 50 acres or more, and more than: 1) 1000 ft from any public land, school, day care or hospital. 2) 600 ft from any residential subdivision and multifamily residential complex. 3) 300 ft from a residence or occupied building on another property.

Be sure to have a valid hunting license, too. Game wardens will be in the area making sure hunters follow the rules.

So what do you think? Will suburban dove hunting become a new spectator sport? Would you feel comfortable with someone sitting on their front porch watching you hunt, and perhaps ragging you over every missed shot? Personally, I think I could do without that kind of pressure.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

Mildly dangerous but i like it. The bird feeders in my back yard would be gone if this were legal here.

from country road wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

I would probably get sued if people watched me shoot, because they would hurt themselves when they fell down laughing at my misses.

from shane wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

I would love it. I would get heckled a lot. It takes several boxes of shells for me to limit out.

from blackdawgz wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

It would be very convenient.

Easy access for disabled folk.

I'm not going to say I miss often, cuz thet wood be a lie.

from blackdawgz wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

Because I properly prep my barrels.

Port and ream forcing cone(s).

My new barrel is ready today.

Can't wait.

Gonna install a Briley Spectrum extended forcing cone.

From experience, I know this works.

from Nycflyangler wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

Rock dove hunting in NYC. That would be fun. How to do it without also shooting people, cars and buildings would be tricky.

from derekegler wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

I think My Neighbors would protest they love their Doves.

from crosshairy wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

my biggest concern would be the potential anti-hunter backlash that comes out of the "neutral" community. I could see some folks saying "it's one thing when they're out in the woods, but it's dangerous to be near town."

I tend to agree that hunters should stay "invisible", because the average person has no idea of the effective range of different weapons. To them, you have something in your hands capable of accidentally killing one of their children. We have to be mindful of other people's opinions, even if they are based on ignorance, so that their response doesn't come back to bite us (the hunting community).

from shane wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

from blackdawgz wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

It would be very convenient.

Easy access for disabled folk.

I'm not going to say I miss often, cuz thet wood be a lie.

from blackdawgz wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

Because I properly prep my barrels.

Port and ream forcing cone(s).

My new barrel is ready today.

Can't wait.

Gonna install a Briley Spectrum extended forcing cone.

From experience, I know this works.

from crosshairy wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

from country road wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

from Nycflyangler wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

from derekegler wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

I think My Neighbors would protest they love their Doves.