What’s Your Favorite Gun Dog Shop?

Man's Best Friend

August 09, 2010

What’s Your Favorite Gun Dog Shop?

By David DiBenedetto

I know bird season is approaching when the gun dog catalogs start arriving. And to be honest, I love looking at them all. But I have settled on a few that are my go to shops when I need something for Pritch—or myself. (For the record, I have no affiliations with the below shops nor do I receive discounts from them.)

Ugly Dog Hunting Company: This outfit has the attitude and the goods. Last year when I needed an XS small Avery Boater’s Parka for Pritch, Ugly Dog was the only outfit around that stocked them—and they got it to me quick. So I’m indebted to them. And any gun dog catalog that makes you laugh is a good one in my book.

Dogs Unlimited:
These guys produce a beautiful catalog and solid website. My favorite item from the new catalog is a full pheasant pelt wrapped around a canvas dummy. It’s done right and looks great. But Dogs Unlimited has it all, from canine first aid kits to kennel shades.

Gun Dog Supply:
This is an online-only shop, but owner Steve Snell and his gang have it all covered. If you have questions about products Snell and Team are happy to answer them. All you have to do is call. Snell, who owns 13 gun dogs, understands the obsession, and his shop has excellent customer service. Check out his website for great articles on everything from e-collars to whistles.

What’s your favorite gun dog shop? Or do you do your shopping at the larger stores likes Cabela’s? (Anybody’s heart start racing when the Mack’s Prairie Wings catalog arrives?) Let’s hear it.

from Gaston wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Dogs Afield (founded by Jerry Day) is one of my favorites.
Lion County Supply is also a great catalog.

from pinopolis wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

all good choices but thumbs up for gun dog supply

from jamesti wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

basspro or sportsman's wharehouse. places i can actually walk into. i like mack's as well.

from jersey pig wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

in this order:
#1 gundogsupply.com
#2 macks prairie wings
#3 cabelas (not as much selection but sometimes it's nice to be able to see the item firsthand)

from justducky wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

My first choice for training bumpers is www.dogsafield.com and the best place for dog food travel bags as well as game bird bags is www.tbicatalog.com
Best afield,
Pam

from Charlie Nichols wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Lion Country Supply is my favorite one. If they ever go public on the stock exchanges I am going to buy some shares as they say buy what you shop. E-collars, GPS collars, bells, whistles,training supplies, bowls, books, dvd's the works...those guys make it real easy to shop

from coyute wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Dogs Unlimited has a great line of products and excellent customer service. I live in Colorado and one of the guys at Dogs Unlimited was willing to let me come by the warehouse in Hudson,CO to pick up a pair of Filson chaps on the quick. I made other arrangements for the chaps, but you can bet that his willingness to accommodate my needs gave him a customer for life.

Gun Dog Supply is another good choice. The reviews of the products Steve Snell sells are great. His reviews really helped me to pick out just the right e-collar for my pup Zip.

Ugly Dog. I love the pictures and the attitude of their catalog. Although I have yet to buy from them - the catalog is a real treat with a full line of the products we know and love. I think they are partial to wirehairs but I won't hold that against 'em! lol

from bbainbridge wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

I absolutely love Ugly Dog. Their catalog is actually fun to read, and their stuff is rock solid. I bought Lexi's hunting collar with engraved name plate from them and they accidentally sent me two. When I asked how to return the larger one, they said since it was already engraved it wasn't any good to them so keep it free of charge! Now my neighbor's Chesapeake has the same collar Lexi does (with a different name plate or course). Also, be sure to check out their 2011 calender. Lexi is going to be pictured in November!

from Wags wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

I have to put a plug in for Lion Country Supply as well. They just helped me out with a Tri-tronics Pro 200 that I purchased from them 10 years ago. They not only answer the phone (becoming more rare), they actually are pleasant, helpful, and knowledgeable.

Full disclaimer: I do not receive any free merchandise from Lion Country Supply although I certainly would in a New York minute if only it were offered.

from Sue Melus wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Lion Country Supply and Ugly Dog almost always have what I need.

from jjones444 wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

I generally do my shopping at larger stores like Cabela's because where I'm at there aren't many ma and pop shops. I like the Dogs Unlimited website. There's a site called engravingspot.com that sells all sorts of stuff for pets, and mostly farming pets. You can pick up an engraved name plate or engraved leather belt there, that type of thing.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from Gaston wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Dogs Afield (founded by Jerry Day) is one of my favorites.
Lion County Supply is also a great catalog.

from pinopolis wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

all good choices but thumbs up for gun dog supply

from jersey pig wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

in this order:
#1 gundogsupply.com
#2 macks prairie wings

from justducky wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Best afield,
Pam

from Charlie Nichols wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from coyute wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from bbainbridge wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from Wags wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from Sue Melus wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Lion Country Supply and Ugly Dog almost always have what I need.

from jjones444 wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago