Bourjaily: Two New Gun Nut Rules

The Gun Nuts

September 30, 2010

Bourjaily: Two New Gun Nut Rules

By Phil Bourjaily

New Rule Number 1: Don’t Set Your Backpack on Fire

F&S Deputy Editor Slaton White sent me this picture snapped at writer’s seminar at the Blackwater training facility in Mt. Carroll, Illinois. I have pixilated out the face of the shooter to protect his identity.

A nylon knapsack probably isn’t the best rest for a short-barreled carbine with a muzzle brake. As you can see, this barrel isn’t quite long enough to clear the end of the bag. Looking through the scope, the shooter could see the target, but not what was happening at the muzzle. Shortly after this picture was taken, says White: “We noticed this funny smell, and the bag was burning.”

New Rule Number 2: Don’t Get Your Butt Kicked by Elmo

This news story has nothing to do with guns, but still:

Picking a fight with Elmo, a beloved, childlike, helium-voiced muppet, is a tacky move to begin with.

Picking a fight with Elmo and getting your butt kicked is inexcusable.

Do that and you are no longer welcome here. Go read some other blog. It’s harsh, I know, but we have to have standards. I hope Dave will agree.

from straightshooter wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

It's not the size of the muppet in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the muppet!

from Jason Hart wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Sorry but if you get your butt kicket by Elmo you should lose your man card along with losing priviledges to the blog!

from Jason Hart wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

What kind of moron would start that sort of thing anyway? He deserves to be muppet-whupped.

from davidpetzal wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Is that Robin Meade? She has a voice that would worm a Rottweiler. Who is Elmo?

from kevinP1445 wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Yeah.... Well it is funny that rule number one came out. I destroyed my range bag doing the same thing with a Superior Arms AR with a Miculek comp. When I went to pick up the bag by the straps after shooting, they were torn on one end and the zippered flap that covers the bag had a melted hole in it.
At least I got a new bag out of it.

from huntnow wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Do you need a scope that is as long as your rifle barrel? I witnessed a guy at the range several years ago shoot a blackpowder rifle in a similar fashion but he had a jersey cloth gun case instead. It didn't melt, instead it burst into flames and was completely burned in about five minutes.

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

lets hope the guy wasent hurt or that there was no ammo in the back pack cuse that chould have been bad

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

the elmo thing was hilarois

from Double D wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

I was so hoping this was actual Elmo beat-down footage instead of a crappy re-enactment.

Re: Robin Meade - In an article about getting fit for elk hunting, Petzal once said to pick a stair machine at the gym located directly behind a spandex-clad beauty. I don't have any of those at my gym so I turn on Robin Meade instead. Of course, it helps if you plug your headphones into your mp3 player so you don't actually have to hear her talk.

from Bella wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Once again I am Phil-ed with the wisdom of these sage precepts. If I meet Elmo, I will surrender immediately, but then I never had a "man card" to loose.
Don't set yer backpack on fire, that's kinda on the scale of "don't smoke while loading black powder"!

from shane wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

What's the deal with the big scope on the little carbine? If you ask me it's counter-intuitive. Oh the ways of the tacticools...

from WillL wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Haha. That's awesome. Too bad somebody didn't get it on video!

from CJ wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Horrible to listen to, but I bet she could take the chrome off a trailer hitch.

from focusfront wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Range bag nothing. I had a guy with a ported .454 Casull almost blow my hat off at the range one day. Those things have a wicked cylinder gap blast, too. You have to consider what your whole gun is doing, not just the bullet.

A grown American man getting whupped by a puppet? One more sign of the end of the American empire.

from tab6491 wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

The scope isn't very long at all. He just has a night vision device attached to it.

from shane wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

I see that, but it has turrets (intended for long range shooting) and is at least a 3-9 variable. Makes no sense to put one of those on a 16 inch carbine.

from Armchair Mike wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Hey, y'all may not realize this, but Elmo's got heavy hands.

from BigJim wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

We had a similar situation to Rule #1 happen at the last M16 qualification. After using the burst function to burn through the remaining live round, someone set the weapon down on the sandbag. The hot barrel melted right through the poly bag. Trying to scrape melted plastic out of the muzzle brake was not fun.

from jay wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

I knew a guy that decided to sight in his 7mm mag across the hood of his truck. Took the paint clean off.

from Ed J wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

jay
I know a guy who did the same thing only off the box. yup put a hole through the other side. mist the target comepletely so we couldn't tell how well it mushroomed.

from sgaredneck wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

I bet the muzzle flash from that SBR pretty much negated a lot of the night vision's usefulness....
I love seeing pics of hi-speed low-drag folks with all kinds of high-$$$ equipment nuking more of their high-$$$ equipment....

Tricked-out zombie-killing short barreled AR - $2530(including $200 NFA Tax)

Wicked tactical 6X24X50 scope, special mount, Gen 4 night vision -
$5875

Blackhawk! tactical briefcase - $155

...burning up said tactical briefcase containing your wallet, ID, plane tickets, credit cards, keys to the rental car, motel key card, and winning lotto ticket in front of all your hi-speed low-drag buddies because you were a dumbaxx- PRICELESS

Come to think of it, I think I would rather have my axx whupped by the muppet.....

from O Garcia wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Those muzzle brakes they put on competition ARs are hell on sandbags. And eyes and ears.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Sitting in the dark back corner of my pop-up blind, doe standing nervously at 40 yards. I finally get my charcoal burned up and pointed out the corner of the window.
With the report of the rifle, I get two sensations!
1. enveloped in hugh cloud of magnificent white smoke!
2. my darkened "sniper" world is suddenly a brightly lit stage!
Apparently, in my haste to collect said doe, the muzzle of the T/C Renegade HAD NOT cleared the window. The muzzle blast had shredded the front portion of the blind with the remnants still holding the cloud of smoke!!
LMAO!!!
Incidently, doe was D.I.R.T.!
My rules!
No. 1 - Make sure muzzle is OUTSIDE pop-up!
No. 2 - only wrestle with grandkids!

Bubba

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Elmo and attacher aside, that's not your run of the mill common-tater right there, beautiful.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

That's her Dave, voice and all.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

She must be one of the Bayonne, NJ princesses....

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

WAM,

Former Miss O-Hi-O...

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Bee

Say it ain't so...

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

We grow'm up good here in Ohio.

I noticed the bolt assembly has yet to recycle upon report or has it already cycled?

from philbourjaily wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Buckhunter -- The action has already cycled. If you look by the shooter's left hand you can see the empty case in the air.

from suschocker wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

I've seen two instances where not being aware of the muzzle had unintended results. First, I took a shot at a groundhog with a .22/250 while using the bed rail of a pick-up as a rest. The muzzle blast reflecting off the truck bed was absolutely deafening. My ears were ringing to two days. Second, a buddy took a long poke at a whitetail doe out grazing in a field with his .300 Weatherby, rested on a sandbag on the hood of his new F-150. The muzzle flash and blast scorched a circle about 12" around right through the paint of his hood and actually left a pockmark like dent in the sheet metal.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Slanton White got into a Blackwater facility WITH a camera? Now that's a HIGH LEVEL SECURITY clearance.

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Who was it said there's a lesson to be learned here ?
To prove to the nay-sayers, copy this and show them that the bolt is already closed and ready to fire another round, while the empty is only 12 in. away and fire is still coming from the barrel. The semi auto has come along way.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Dale,

I was thinking the same thing.

I figure at the time the photo was taken the projectile is well down range and the powder is still burning. The gas has already forced the bolt back and forth approximately 2 inches each direction and thrown the casing 12 inches forward in darn near the time it takes the powder to burn.

The mechanical engineering and physics depicted by the photo is amazing.

from Logan C. Adams wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Elmo loves violence!

from ingebrigtsen wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Rule 3: dont let idiots handle guns.

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

I have burned the canvas cover of sandbag rests while shooting revolvers, but the worst horror story I've heard concerning new rule #1 is about a shooter who lost his left thumb by supporting the frame of a .500 S&W Magnum too close to the front of the cylinder. OMG!

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Also never ever ever put your support hand on a tree and lay a 44 mag revolver on your arm for a rest, especially with a T-shirt and no gloves on.
Works during hunting season with coat and gloves on but during summer at the range it's a no go. Big time.

I will not divulge who did this dumb move to protect my innocence.

from Bass2Buck wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

That muppet is a vicious little gun nut.

from quinnm107 wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

huntnow, the scope's front end there is not scope, it's either NV or thermal, it mounts in front of your day sights and is removable so you don't have to have separate scopes for different environments or time periods

from BubbaK wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

You know, this could lead to a whole series of muppet beatdowns! Next we'll see stories about Bigbird pecking some guy in the head, or the Seven Dwarfs running amok at Disneyworld, or Dr. Teeth's Band tearing apart some hotel somewhere!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

Another Gun Nut rule for survival or getting your trophy:

Know how many rounds are in your weapon and if there is one chambered. During drills, instructors would "freeze the problem" and ask each one how many rounds are left in your weapon at that moment. Unless you liked runnning and doing pushups, you best know the answer.

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

The July "Gun Nut" issue lives on. Page 45 is my personal favorite.

from Gunslinger wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

Whap happened to shooting sticks or a shooting Bench such as the sled???? I am handicapped as walk with a cane, so when hunting I carry my Bi-pod for a rest and use the sled at then bench. MY health and weakness in my arms are conductive to off hand shooting, as i prefer a 9-10 lb gun. The Stoney Point shoting Bi-pod works well for me, last time in MT killed a Mulie at 345 yds using the Bi-pod. My nerves, a little out of wack so a sand bad doesent do a lot for me and I never shoot from inside by ground blind, the bbl is always out the tent, with anytype firearm i may be using.Especially B/P as I want that white clous outside so may be able to see the deer if he don;t fall at the hit, but as a rule they do as I prefer a frontal shot just under the white patch, but will not pass a side or quartering either. Never tried the Texas job, as out whitetails don;t run straight away they always make a turn about time you ready to fire. AS we have small fields to hunt surrounded by woods.

from Amlostcause wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

At least I don't have to LIKE Elmo...

from straightshooter wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from davidpetzal wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Is that Robin Meade? She has a voice that would worm a Rottweiler. Who is Elmo?

from CJ wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Horrible to listen to, but I bet she could take the chrome off a trailer hitch.

from sgaredneck wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Tricked-out zombie-killing short barreled AR - $2530(including $200 NFA Tax)

Wicked tactical 6X24X50 scope, special mount, Gen 4 night vision -
$5875

Blackhawk! tactical briefcase - $155

from ingebrigtsen wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Rule 3: dont let idiots handle guns.

from Jason Hart wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from Jason Hart wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from kevinP1445 wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

At least I got a new bag out of it.

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

the elmo thing was hilarois

from Double D wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from WillL wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Haha. That's awesome. Too bad somebody didn't get it on video!

from focusfront wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from tab6491 wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Hey, y'all may not realize this, but Elmo's got heavy hands.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

With the report of the rifle, I get two sensations!
1. enveloped in hugh cloud of magnificent white smoke!
2. my darkened "sniper" world is suddenly a brightly lit stage!
LMAO!!!
Incidently, doe was D.I.R.T.!
My rules!
No. 1 - Make sure muzzle is OUTSIDE pop-up!
No. 2 - only wrestle with grandkids!

Bubba

from philbourjaily wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from suschocker wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Who was it said there's a lesson to be learned here ?

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Dale,

I was thinking the same thing.

The mechanical engineering and physics depicted by the photo is amazing.

from Logan C. Adams wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Elmo loves violence!

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

I will not divulge who did this dumb move to protect my innocence.

from huntnow wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from shane wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from BigJim wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from jay wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from Ed J wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

jay

from O Garcia wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

That's her Dave, voice and all.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

She must be one of the Bayonne, NJ princesses....

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

WAM,

Former Miss O-Hi-O...

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Bee

Say it ain't so...

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

We grow'm up good here in Ohio.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from Bass2Buck wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

That muppet is a vicious little gun nut.

from quinnm107 wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from shane wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from BubbaK wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

Another Gun Nut rule for survival or getting your trophy:

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

The July "Gun Nut" issue lives on. Page 45 is my personal favorite.

from Gunslinger wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

from Amlostcause wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

At least I don't have to LIKE Elmo...