Petzal: It Could Be a Baaaaaaad Fall

The Gun Nuts

September 23, 2010

Petzal: It Could Be a Baaaaaaad Fall

By David E. Petzal

This picture (which, as far as I know, has not been Photoshopped) was supposedly taken at Buffalo Bill Dam near Cody, Wyoming, and shows a flock of wild sheep out for a leisurely stroll across the dam face. This is actually a dam in Italy, but all the same, traversing its face, freehoof, as it were, would make Spiderman’s guts churn in terror.

Thirty years ago, a friend of mine who was hunting wild sheep along an almost-nonexistent trail on a rockface thousands of feet in the air came to a spot so perilous that he stopped and took a photo of it because he wanted his wife to have a record of the place where he died. As it was he didn’t, but the experience made a lasting impression on him and he switched to other kinds of game.

from BigJim wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

A little basic research goes a long way.

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I don't think I really want to put myself in that position. Not saying that it isn't for anyone - just not for me. I enjoy knowing that at the end of the day I'll be on my way back home.

from Amflyer wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Man, I so want to drop water balloons on them from above. Of course that would be cruel, and they could be hurt, etc.

But I'm just saying...

from Bella wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

They must feel safe there, Nothing can hunt them there, even the humans would get in trouble for hunting the face of the dam. But there ain't much for a sheep to eat there...

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Our friend Ishawooa confirms this is not the Buffalo Bill Dam near Cody, WY. I did not recall a rocky face there either, just smooth concrete. But maybe they remodeled using some "shovel ready" Stimulus Money.

from askrocki wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Sorry about a diversion here. I watched the Gun Nuts show last night - Sept 22 - One of the products demonstrated was a amall hand saw. I missed the name but thought I heard "Alska" as part of the brand. I have been Googling for an hour and I can't find one. It looked great and was highly praised. Anyone know the brand name and where it can be purchased? Again, sorry for the diversion.

from davidpetzal wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

To Asrocki: The saw in question is made by Knives of Alaska. They make a wood saw, a bone saw, and a two-saw set. The only saws that cut faster have motors attached. I think the price is about $50 each.

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I saw this somewhere else, and it said they were licking salt deposits.

from 007 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I'll do that on the same day that I join the mako bowfishing crew, drive a bone thru my nose, and put an "Obama in '12" sign in my yard.

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

After viewing that picture, it becomes clear as to why I enjoy squirrel hunting.

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

This photo has been sent to me by numerous people requesting confirmation of authenticity over the last month or so. To all I immediately replyed "No, not Cody". In fact maybe I will ride over to the dam and make a photo of it so all can compare. Actually our dam has wolves running all over it as they replaced the sheep some time ago.
Insofar as the Knives of Alaska saw I have had the wood saw for some time and can only agree with what Dave said. In fact the kids are happy to cut firewood with it (no chainsaws allowed in the wilderness). I bought it on a whem and was completely amazed not only the first but every time I use it. Actually I bought a second saw at ACE Hardware which is about as good but half the price. I remember that it was made in Sweden and will have to dig it out of the tack compartment in my horse trailor to see what the brand name is. Ozark brand from Walmart resembles the same saw but sucks really bad, don't waste your money. Dandy Saws from Thermopolis, Wyoming cut almost as good as the Alaska saw but require resharpening often to remain at that level of performance. I keep my Alaska saw tied to my saddle in case of a "blow down" in the horse trail as sometimes it is easier to clear it than to find a way around if that is a possibility.

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

If this was a precipitous cliff instead of the face of a dam, it would be unethical to take the shot unless the hunter could retrieve the goat. Unless there's a path or trail to accomplish that promptly (or the hunter has similar abilities to cling to almost nonexistent handholds and toeholds), the photo opportunity would have to be admired and the hunting opportunity overlooked. Besides, I'd guess by the time the goat hit the bottom, there'd be some serious damage to the meat and hide.

from focusfront wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

No, you couldn't take that shot. And keep in mind that these are sheep; goats are even worse. In my mind, Mountain Goats are the most awesome game animal in America. At Glacier Park I saw goats in places that would give an eagle a nosebleed. I don't know if I should be sorry or happy that I've never had the privilege of hunting them.

from dickgun wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Dave,
Italy? Wild Sheep? Ovis?

from kaanimal wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

The video link on BigJim's link shows it all. Several good youtube vids of these guys climbing around on the dam. What awesome creatures. It also identifies the species as Ibex. Wikipedia lists Ibex as a goat. So focusfront has it right. Goats are worse than sheep for getting into areas a human predator should avoid.

from kaanimal wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Off topic: Dave, have you tried Leopold's CDS (Custom Dial System)? If so, how about a review...

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

"from 007 wrote 16 hours 19 min ago

and put an "Obama in '12" sign in my yard."

Man, don't even joke about that..........

from davidpetzal wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

To kaanimal: No I have not. But I have something very interesting along those lines coming next week.

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Big Jim pretty much settled the argument straight off. His link to the Billings Gazette indicates that this is in Italy and the animals in question are Ibex...

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

kaanimal: I personally find your comment and Dave's reply particularily interesting as I just ordered a Leupold CDS two days ago from Bear Basin Outfitters to compare to my other similiar scopes. Hopefully the Leupold will be what I anticipate as that brand has been my favorite for decades. Of course I made this decision most likely too late to be properly utilized this fall big game season in Wyoming. Maybe it will be set up on one of my rifles for Spring bears.

from BigJim wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Thanks Dr. Ralph. I should have been more clear, but I was at work and trying to rush to be the first to respond.

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

I'm getting vertigo just looking at that picture.

from elmer f. wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

i had to zoom this to 400% to actually see the sheep. that, is rediculous! i think if i had chased them up and down the mountains several days, and have the hunt end there, i would give it up also! i knew they were "sure footed, but that more resembles "spider-sheep!

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

The sheep make me dizzy, wherever they are. Don't believe I would be interested in traveling in terrain like that merely to shoot a sheep, which I would not eat.
Interesting side topic on saws; If anyone is interested in a good quality saw, slightly smaller and less expensive that the KOA models, check out FELCo. I have one of their 600 models, weighs less than 8 oz. and has a pull cut blade, which is lockable and replaceable. This thing will zip through a limb or an elk's ribcage in no time flat.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Which ever animal spieces they are; it's very impressive survival skills!

from semp wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

What duh? I've been gone a while ... so what's with the list's? ie 'qqqq' at 0225

from Gunslinger wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

tThat is not the Dam in Cody, Wy. I been there, not sure where it is. As for Goats and Sheep, I can;t get to them with 2 store bought hips, so I will have to hunt from solid ground. Me, Goats and Sheep never interested me, I prefer the Elk and Mulies ay day. Once you kill a ELk, you always want his Grandpa. At 75, few hunt left in this worn out body, but I pray that next season I can try for Elk one last time. Being disabled/handicapped sure slows down hunting, but I still want and love to hear the Elk Bugle. That Bugle never leaves your mind if you a true hunter. My regret is, I never was able to go West when I was much younger and had a good paying job. But we live and learn. Go while you can and if $ is a problem, then borrow it, then you got the remainder of your life to repay if necessary. Good hunting to all I wish each of you a successfl trophy, and, any Elk is a Trophy. I love those Rocky Mountains. I live at the base of the Blue Ridge Mtns, but no ELK here now, but will be in a few years.Shoot-um-straight and often.

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Most of us who have sheep hunted require 2-3 weeks, horse trips into the wilderness, defending camp from grizzlies, climbing sheer wall faces, negociating rocky mountainsides, plus other difficulties. Week before last a guy who lives down the road killed his 165 Bighorn within 1/4 mile of his four wheeler on the second day of the hunt. The ovine even cooperated by standing in a relatively flat meadow with few trees so the guy could get a nice steady shot with his muzzleloader. But then this fellow is luckier than hell as it seems that big animals usually just come to him and give up. This hunter was injured in a train wreck many many years ago so he does not work but instead hunts and fishes every day of his life that he wants. I got a phone call that his wife shot a really good bull elk today with her bow. Probably on the side of the highway like the 12-15 bulls I saw yesterday while I was out in the desert antelope hunting. Yep the wolves and bears are moving them away from the mountains.

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Most of us who have sheep hunted require 2-3 weeks, horse trips into the wilderness, defending camp from grizzlies, climbing sheer wall faces, negociating rocky mountainsides, plus other difficulties. Week before last a guy who lives down the road killed his 165 Bighorn within 1/4 mile of his four wheeler on the second day of the hunt. The ovine even cooperated by standing in a relatively flat meadow with few trees so the guy could get a nice steady shot with his muzzleloader. But then this fellow is luckier than hell as it seems that big animals usually just come to him and give up. This hunter does not work but instead hunts and fishes every day of his life that he wants. I got a phone call that his wife shot a really good bull elk today with her bow. Probably on the side of the highway like the 12-15 bulls I saw yesterday while I was heading out into the desert antelope hunting. Yep the wolves and bears are moving them away from the mountains.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

@ Gunslinger

Good to see you on the blog again my friend. Keep us updated with regard to your doin's.

best regards,
S

from countitandone wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

DEP ~ That photo has been shopped. And by the way, when you mentioned during last night's TV episode, you use a "fanny pac," we all rolled...on the floor in laughter thinking you probably wear one at the mall when shopping!

from pmariman wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Years ago I was talking to a Park Ranger in Yellow Stone and I asked him what the major cause of death was for Big Horn's. He smiled and said "gravity".

from Gunslinger wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

WAMTN hunter. Yep been occupied with problems not plesant. I was in Hospital for 2 week i July, then my Mon fell, broke her hip and her heart gave out and she died Sept 9th. So no time to read or talk. Now I'm on Oxygen 24/7. Dr is giving me new RX hopefuly can get off the Oxygen at least part time. So will hunt at home this fall if able to hunt period. Do plan on next year if able. God luck hunting. I wish I had some of your neighbors luck. I lost my lucky charm 20 ys ago and not stuck with the results till I die. So hunt while you able. TAke care will be on now and then. Old Southern Gun Slinger

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Gunslinger

Sorry to hear your bad news. You take care of yourself and do what those sawbones tell you to do to get off that O2 bottle.

Let us hear from you when you can!

Best regards

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Gunslinger

Let us hear from you when you can!

Best regards

from Gunslinger wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

mWA Mtnhunter. Thanks for you support. Last few months not been good for me at all. Hopefuly cooler weather will help my breathing and can eliminate the Oxygen. Kinda a pain in the neck to carry the tank or pull the cart around. I use ground blinds here, so hopefully I can pull the tank into the blind and it will last most allday. Hopefully this new RX will help. Not doing a lot now, but resting. The bout with Pnemonia almost did me in, really hurt my lungs. We get a extra week of B/P hunting on the first part of the season (Nov.6th thru l9th) then rifle till Jan lst, 2011) so all total we got about 3 extra weeks. Hopefuly can get a nice buck again. We can bait here, so had the Mineral blocks out for a month, they mostly all gone now, so bought more today, I read where some stupid Judge stopped te hunting of Wolves in MT for this year. I hope it;s re0instated by next year as i'd like to kill one. The area I hunt LOLO MT , the Elk supply is down nearly l/2 as per info sent to me. I may try to find another place in MT or go bsck to CO. next year if able to go at all.
Attention DAve::::::
Dave: why do we have to sign in every night to go to your blog. Once we are signed in and our User name etc. is on file, it's a waste of time to re-sign in each night. Look into this please.

from Brendan McKinley wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

I've actually herd of this before, wild mountain-faring animals will on occasion venture onto the near vertical sides of a dam to lick the salt that collects on it's side. no one ever said they were smart.

from Tigerbeetle wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

I was hunting goats one day on the Spotted Bear RD, Flathead NF many years ago. I saw a nice goat on an outcrop waaaaayyy up there. Took me half the day to get there, only to find out while I went up, he went down. I was hanging on a rock face with no where to go but back down. It is much easier to go up, than down. I can still remember - vividly - the pucker factor getting back to something less than a vertical wall. My next goat hunt, we got freezing rain turning to snow. A one mile up and over, turned into a 14 mile hike to a trail head. Thank heavens, Viet Nam saved me from a third goat hunt. I might have gotten hurt!
Tigerbeetle

from Bass2Buck wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

holy crap God must of made em with good balance

from 007 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from BigJim wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

A little basic research goes a long way.

from Amflyer wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

But I'm just saying...

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

"from 007 wrote 16 hours 19 min ago

and put an "Obama in '12" sign in my yard."

Man, don't even joke about that..........

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from askrocki wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from davidpetzal wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I saw this somewhere else, and it said they were licking salt deposits.

from focusfront wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from kaanimal wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from davidpetzal wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from BigJim wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

I'm getting vertigo just looking at that picture.

from elmer f. wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Which ever animal spieces they are; it's very impressive survival skills!

from semp wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

@ Gunslinger

best regards,
S

from countitandone wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from pmariman wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Gunslinger

Let us hear from you when you can!

Best regards

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Gunslinger

Let us hear from you when you can!

Best regards