Good and Cheap: Comfort Zone Hunter Hang-On Treestand

Whitetail 365

October 18, 2010

Good and Cheap: Comfort Zone Hunter Hang-On Treestand

By Dave Hurteau

There is no better deal I know of in hang-on treestands than the Comfort Zone Hunter Hang-On, available at Dick’s Sporting Goods stores or online at dickssportinggoods.com for a paltry $39.99. You can often find it on sale for $34.99. Let’s be clear: There are better—much better—hang-ons. The Hunter requires complete assembly; it does not have backpacking straps; the platform is not huge at 20x24 inches; the seat is thin; and it does not attach to the tree as solidly as some.

But, this steel stand is reasonably light at 16.7 pounds (by my scale, ready to hunt); it is surprisingly quiet, with solid construction and plastic washers at virtually every contact point; it attaches plenty securely if you just fiddle with it a little; and unlike most cheapies, it features the same sort of quick-cinching strap (although more cheaply made) you find on spendier models, which makes for fast, easy hanging.

And did I mention it cost under $40! You can buy two, even three of them for the price of many other hang-ons. I’ve read complaints about a strong odor out of the box—but I’ve not had that problem. I own three of them—one the company sent me for testing and two others I bought at my local Dick’s. I bowhunt from all of them without hesitation. Look, I’m cheap by nature, which means I’ve sat in a lot of bargain-basement hang-ons—but nothing this good at this price.

–Dave Hurteau

from Cgull wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

I'll take a half a dozen! I usually wait for the end of season sales for new hang ons, but with prices like this, I can buy now. Found a Lone Wolf hang on for 75 at a local pawn shop, it's my new favorite.

from steve182 wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

I have a couple of these. You're right, for the price you can't beat'em. All day sits will leave you wishing you spent a little more, but for a few hours you can't go wrong.

from senkoman12 wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

i have one of their ladder stands an really like it for $50 can't beat it

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

I have two of these i hunt public land and i may be alittle mad if my stand got stolen i wouldn't be broke to.

from tpbesone wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

I just bought one of these last month and I agree it's a great stand for the price. I won't use it for all day hunts, although it's tough for me to stay in the same spot all day as is, but for a 2-4 hour morning or evening sit it's perfect.

from ThomasB wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

Can't beat cheap! Although there is no substitution for safety.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

I have three, they work just fine. If you worry about the strap an extra ratchet strap is only 5 or 7 bucks.

from TNhunter wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

I HAVE 2 AND REALLY LIKE THEM AS WELL. THE SMALL SEAT MAKES AN ALL DAY HUNT REALLY HARD, BUT ARE GREAT FOR 3 TO 5 HOURS. I DO AGREE WITH "WALT SMITH" IN THAT I DIDN'T FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THE STRAP THAT CAME WITH IT AND I COULDN'T GET IT TIGHT ENOUGH TO SUIT ME, BUT A $8 RACHET STRAP LOCATED RIGHT BESIDE THE STAND AT DICKS WAS THE CURE.STILL CHEAPER THAN ANYTHING ELSE AND WORKS GREAT.

from Backroads wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

Cheap, yes! Comfort, NO! I have 2 of these and find it hard to sit still in them for more than 30 minutes.

from Shyloh Jacobs wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I am so glad that we can buy sporting goods online like these! I would be so out of luck if it were not for sites like this one! http://www.dougsportingoods.com

from Rebecca Hurst wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

That looks great! I know my husband will be wanting one of these for hunting season! I wonder if I can find a football display case at that store as well. Combined shipping would be great!

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

from Cgull wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from senkoman12 wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

i have one of their ladder stands an really like it for $50 can't beat it

from tpbesone wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

from ThomasB wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

Can't beat cheap! Although there is no substitution for safety.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago