How to Dry a Wet Dog

Man's Best Friend

October 22, 2010

How to Dry a Wet Dog

By David DiBenedetto

Pritch loves to swim but she apparently doesn’t love to be wet. How do I know? Well, seconds after coming out of the water she tries to use my legs as a drying post. If not my legs, she’ll beeline for a nearby tree or fence. Or she’ll perform a good ol’ fashioned ground rub (as in the photo here). Lately I’ve been working on Shake—an easy and useful command to help stem her antics when wet.
To teach, simply anticipate when your wet dog is about to naturally shake and sternly say “Shake.” Do this numerous times just as your dog begins to wind up. Then praise with “good shake.” You’ll be surprised how quickly the dog picks up on it. Then use the command when your wet dog wants into the truck or house or blind.

If you’re in a situation where a dog shake is the last thing you want to happen here’s a tip: Just before the dog shakes grab its nose. A dog starts its shake from the nose and works backwards. (Don’t believe it? Check out this great video.) With your hand around the muzzle the dog can’t begin to shake, and you’ll stay dry until you’re out of spray range.

But if you’re looking for a command that that might bring you 15 minutes of fame try “Let’s Pray.” The fellow in this video taught his dog to “pray” and his YouTube video went viral. His story has been everywhere from CNN to Jay Leno. Good for him. I’m just trying to keep my pup from baptizing me. Enjoy the weekend, folks.

from BigTex wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

Pretty sure I saw that same photo in a local paper as 'proof' of el chupacabra!

from Levi Banks wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

To help encourage them to shake you can also blow in their ear. Command "shake" blow in their ear and then some praise. Mine learned quick to avoid the ear blowing so you need to be stealthy and or quick to teach it, before they start trying to avoid the blowing.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

my dog doesn't mind being wet except on his face. when he gets out of the water, he rubs his face on my legs. never seen that before.

from pinopolis wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

I wonder if I could teach my dog to pray for ducks...

from jeffisutherland wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I'll definately be teaching my yellow lab pup the command for shake! Excellent scientific video of dogs shaking!

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Magnum loves to shake on me before going in.I like to have him sit before takeing the leash off and this seems to be his favorite time to shake but when huped(SIT)he needs to know that is all he is to do not stand and shake,brake,or walk around.We dont mind before the sit or even inside but when huped this can lead to other issues we dont need.Dave I posted a bow hunt in Washington County N.Y.picture if you want to see it it is on my profile.Time to get back to the dog and more training and good luck to you all hunt smart hunt safe.

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Great videos Dave!

from BigTex wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

Pretty sure I saw that same photo in a local paper as 'proof' of el chupacabra!

from jamesti wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

from jeffisutherland wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Levi Banks wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

from pinopolis wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

I wonder if I could teach my dog to pray for ducks...

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago