Hunters Falsifying Records to Obtain Iowa Whitetail Licenses, Tags

Field Notes

October 15, 2010

Hunters Falsifying Records to Obtain Iowa Whitetail Licenses, Tags

By Chad Love

Noted author Bill Bryson once began one of his wildly-funny travel memoirs with this line: "I come from Des Moines. Somebody had to." I wonder what Bryson would think if he knew his home state was now so popular with hunters they're willing to risk jail time to "move" there...

From this story in the Chicago Tribune:
Authorities say there's been an increase in hunters falsifying records so they can obtain illegal resident hunting licenses and deer tags in Iowa . Iowa Department of Natural Resources said Monday the state's reputation as a choice place to hunt trophy-sized whitetail deer has made it tempting for nonresidents to try to hunt in illegally. Iowa offers 6,000 nonresident deer licenses a year and the department says there's up to a three-year wait.

Conservation officer Joe Fourdyce says there is a trend of nonresidents buying land or a home and getting an Iowa driver's license and trying to claim their residence is in Iowa. Fourdyce warns that this is a felony. Authorities say charges have been filed against three Louisiana men since August.

Your thoughts?

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

I'm pretty sure a nonresident Iowa tag is cheaper than buying property or taking care of a felony. I'm glad I get a legitimate Iowa resident tag.

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

People are getting so obsessed with so called "trophy" bucks that they will do anything to kill one. Just go to a high fenced area and buy one. Its cheaper than buying a house and land. I have arrested people who used their children's addresses and campground addresses to buy a resident licese. One guy used the motel's address where he was staying to get a resident license. The license agents weren't very good at checking documents when selling license. That was 40 years ago when the Mom and Pops stores around the country sold license. Now with the electronic purchasing and checking credentials that couldn't happen very easy. I would laugh when I would look at a guy's license and ask where he was from and he couldn't pronounce the town that was on his license as his address.

from idduckhntr wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

I dont think their is a deer big enough for me to go over to jail over. Some people are getting to greedy.

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

I have neither the money to travel to hunt, nor to buy a property for "records" purposes. I am curious as to how much time a year you need to stay in a place to claim "residency" legally. If you own a place and are retired/semi-retired and live there x months out of the year at what point are you a resident? Or can you pay rent on an apartment all year, but occupy it sporadically. Our congressmen and senators can move to a place for a few months and run. Some claim to be residents of mulitple states, and some live in out of state vacation homes when not in D.C., but claim a residency in their District/State. Where's the line?

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

I apologize for most of the spelling and grammar in the above posting. I'm more of a slave to spell-check than I realized.

from mitchw wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

Iowa's a strange duck though when it comes to the whole non-resident/resident thing. I grew up there, and stand to someday inherit 40 of the best-managed acres in Bremer County (not known as a trophy destination, but there's some big boys.) Right now my dad can go get a free landowner tag (he doesn't deer hunt) and shoot whatever he would want to on the property. For me to do the same, I need to send in about $530 dollars by early June, and then wait 3 monthes for Iowa to send me the money back when I don't draw. Iowa forces non-residents to buy an antlerless tag, thereby putting a non-res Iowa tag at only 40 dollars less than Idaho non-res elk. Also there's interesting politics at play: Iowa farmers (at least the ones I knew) generally liked having deer around, but also thought of them as rats eating their income up. A forester friend of mine down there said the Farm Bureau lobby is usually pushing for lower statewide deer numbers, but the Iowa Bowhunters Association ??? apparently lobbies hard to keep the nonresident tag quota down. It seems to me that if you are a non-resident landowner at least, you should still be entitled to one deer tag per year, and then maybe anything after one you'd have to enter the lottery? On the other hand, keeping the non-res quota so low probably helps discourage the other scourge of the 2000's, leasing hunting rights. My $0.02...

from shane wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

What is this world coming to? This is pathetic. We need to get out heads right, boys and girls. If we don't it's all over. This is a huge black eye whether you know it or not. I hope this doesn't get out much.

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

mitchw, your right, Iowa is a strange duck.The Iowa Bowhunters assoc. is preventing the Iowa dnr from getting 3 to 4 million in non-resident deer applications returned every year, at the same time they are laying off employees, and game wardens are haveing to cover 2 and 3 counties.The farmers and insurance companies want less deer so they give out depredation tags for nothing.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

Horns, Horns, Horns, Thats the only thing most hunters can think about. Used to be a big buck was something a sportsman maybe had 2 or 3 chances at during their lifetime, now with high fence farms and states managing deer and hunters for Max. profit deer hunting has changed for the worse.

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

In WV you can own the entire state but if you live in another state you have to buy a non resident license. You can only be a resident of one state or another. If you live six months here and six months there take your pick but you can only be a resident one place or at least that is how our law in WV reads. WV seems to have the same outlook except a nonresident can come into our state and buy a non resident tag over the counter and not go through any drawing.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

Back in the 70's, knew a gent from Texas who bought some property in Colorado so he could buy resident tags. Worked real well, until he recieved the paperwork from the State of Colorado. Seems if he's a Colorado resident, he would have to pay Colorado "STATE INCOME TAX!!!" Since he had not paid a red cent to Colorado, it was a tidy sum. He had two choices, own up to "non-resident using resident tags" and pay the fine + other penalties or pay Colorado state income tax!
Don't remember which he went with, but he sold Colorado property pretty cheap!

Bubba

from jjas wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

It never ceases to amaze me what people will do today to kill a big buck. We all hunt deer with the hope of killing a good one someday, but what kind of satisfaction does one get from breaking the law to do so?

from Dale Reisert wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

No one has addressed why this situation existed.

I love to hunt big antlered deer and have done so in three Canadian provinces and most of the Mid-West states.

But Iowa has it all, the best managed deer herd in my opinion and its worth the wait of two to three years to draw a permit.

If other states followed Iowa's deer management program than hunting would be just as good as Iowa's, same land, same soil, same everyhting but the way way some states have set up their hunting seasons and firearms season it a Joke.

I did not draw a permit years ago when I applied for an Iowa bowhunting tag, but we already had an outfitter who had leased a cabin in Iowa right on the southwest corner of Iowa just a few miles from Missouri, so we purchased an over the counter tag for Missouri, we stayed in Iowa on a farm that was the most perfect whitetail hunting land we had ever seen, huge whitetail everywhere running does the week we where there, but we had Missouri tags and hunted about 20 miles away in Missouri, in 6 days of hunting Missouri I never saw one deer, not even a doe, upon returning each night to the cabin in Iowa we had to drive about 10 miles and hour to avoid all of the rut crazed bucks running after does in the height of the rut.

Well talk about mismanagment, Missouri has their Rifle season right smack in the middle of the rut, how sad that the same land only miles away from Iowa is so mismanagaged there was not any deer to be found anywhere we hunted.

The following year my Buddy and I drew both drew a Iowa tag and stayed in the same Cabin as the year before in Iowa, we saw so many bucks it was hard to choose which one you wanted to take, we actaully waited until the last day of our hunt and we both took Pope and Young 10 pointers with our bows.

We joked about our past experience in Missouri, and now call Missouri the state of MISERY.

Same land but Iowa is so well mananaged they have it all.

Yes we waited two more years and again drew an Iowa tag, and yes we both shot pope and young deer, mine best being a 164 non typical 14 pointer.

If Iowa can deliver all the power to them.

Seawolf4

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from idduckhntr wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from mitchw wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from shane wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from Dale Reisert wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

No one has addressed why this situation existed.

Same land but Iowa is so well mananaged they have it all.

If Iowa can deliver all the power to them.

Seawolf4

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

Don't remember which he went with, but he sold Colorado property pretty cheap!

Bubba