Teenage Wisconsin Girl Tags Three Bucks on Gun Opener

Whitetail 365

November 29, 2010

Teenage Wisconsin Girl Tags Three Bucks on Gun Opener

By Dave Hurteau

by Dave Hurteau

No matter how good the opening day of your gun season was, you were still probably shown up by a 16-year-old girl.

On Wisconsin’s opener, Corissa Wege of Hortonville shot three bucks—a 10 pointer, 13-pointer, and 8-pointer—all within about an hour. “She was shaking, almost crying,” Corissa’s father Tom Wege told FOX 11 News. “She was just...you couldn't even talk to her. Just so excited. It was unreal.”
(In case you are wondering, cross-tagging is legal in Wisconsin.)

Check out the video below:

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Stacking em up like cord wood! Good Job and congrats!!

from stick500 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

what if there's still daylight and the group is out of buck tags? I'd be kinda bummed if I hadn't gone mine yet. Isn't that how it works with cross tagging?

from IowaGuy wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

AWESOME, 3 deer is terrific, 3 very nice bucks like these is unheard of!

from Proverbs wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Stick - yes, it can be a bummer, especially when there is disagreement. So be careful.

Last week I hunted northern Wisconsin, and one of our group tagged a buck at first light. While he was field dressing, a bigger buck came along and he shot it, too. The 12-person hunting party was made up of locals and 4 non-residents, myself included.

We were group hunting - but we only spoke of cross-tagging does, as we could buy unlimited doe tags. We had not discussed cross-tagging bucks, and in my mind it wasn't even a issue, as everyone was looking to get a buck. It was a very uncomfortable time as the shooter (a local) asked people for their buck tag.

I didn't travel 2,000 miles to hunt bucks, only to give my tag to a local hunter who gets to tag several bucks this fall (through the Earn-a-Buck program). The shooter's brother (a non-resident) reluctantly gave up his tag. He wasn't happy about it, and it may strain relationships for some time to come. It's been more than a week and he (the victim brother) is still complaining to me about it.

from ilikehunting wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Clear some wall space!

from JohnR wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I suppose cross tagging is OK if everyone is cool about it up front especially if hunting bucks. I would have no problem giving up a doe tag as long as I got some meat out of the deal. Proverbs made a good point...if everyone isn't on the same page at the beginning of the hunt and familiar with the rules, the potential for some hard feelings is there.

from Brittle wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

what is crosstagging exactly

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Good for her!

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

We only think about cross tagging if the buck shot is bigger than the first 1 shot infact my brother and i hunt with in voice distance for this reason. I'm not sure i agree with this kind of seems like she just eliminated next years and the year afters buck... but i guess she had some generous family members. It was a great day in the woods i myself would have a hard time passing on a bigger buck than the one i have lying on the ground...

from iowahunter18 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from WATCHINDEER247365 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I don't know about this, legal or not I don't agree with that rule. In Missouri its illegal to tag your deer with someone else's tag, if you do your considered a POACHER!! If I was in the situation that "proverb" described, that brother would be sitting on an buck without a tag!!!!! Frankly I WOULD turn in my own mother for poaching! TO ME THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR PULLING THE TRIGGER ON A DEER THAT YOU DON'T HAVE A TAG FOR IN YOUR OWN POCKET!!!

from Phil1227 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Those are some nice bucks

from WATCHINDEER247365 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

QUESTIONS: What happens when a group of hunters all shoot an extra buck thinking others have unfilled tags?
Or even just one hunter does so?
Wouldn't this cross-tagging pratice actually be STEALING someone else's opportunity to hunt and have the experience of taking a buck for themselves?

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Its called party hunting in Iowa, and only legal during the shotgun season. I feel it should have been done away with long ago, but its tradition for the big groups of 20-30 people every year, doing drives, as that is the only way they know how to "hunt". What really stinks is, as long as they have one tag left to fill all 20-30 people can still hunt. Which usually means pushing out whole sections at a time, to the standers lined up in the grader ditch along the road.That to me just opens the door for killing more deer than they have tags.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Cool shooting! First one down, I'd be standing over him dancing and probably run the others off!! LOL!!

Bubba

from bowhunter73 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

not to hate but you shoot one or two not three

from bowhunter73 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Why would you shoot a small eight after a 10 and a 13 point doesnt make sense to me

from ckRich wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Congrats Corissa! Looks like dad's taxidermy bill is going to be pretty high this year. I hope they incorporate all three bucks together somehow.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

not sure i agree with cross tagging. nice bucks, though.

from CorieSquared wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Meh, I'm not that impressed. Nice deer, certainly. But why let one girl kill three deer in the same morning like that? Surely others in the hunting party would have liked a chance at one of these deer.

from jsweezy77 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Way to go! I'm just glad we don't have the cross tagging to worry about in S.C. I just wish that some of the local hunters would let the younger bucks walk and get bigger.

from dave the bowhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

any body iam with better plan on having more then one tag because if they shoot more then one deer, my tag aint going on it,i dont buy a tag just so some body else can shoot more then one deer and it wouldnt matter who was with me

from dave the bowhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

they will pry throw all three racks in a shed and not even look at them again

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from dave the bowhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from iowahunter18 wrote 18 hours 34 min ago

Who had the third tag? I guess they could've had a landowner tag. My uncle used to hog the tags and would shoot anything. Is it coincidence that he didn't hunt with us the past few years?,,,sounds like a brother i got

from Nolan wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Nice Job!!

from WAP wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

way to go, there is nothing wrong with the cross tagging if you are hunting in a gruop, you never know if your the one with a cuople big ones under your stand it would sure be a good day of hunting and story to tell years down the road and no one is forcing you to cross tag and like John R said make sure everyone is alright with it first, the chances of taking 3 nice bucks in one day is not common where I hunt in Wisonsin

from Bellringer wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

No matter the legality, it seems to be a clear case of being a game hog. However I would hold the parent, or mentor of the girl responsible. What ethics have been passed along to her in allowing this event to happen and be praised.

from s1lverfox wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Nice shooting. We can't "party hunt" in IL. I'm assuming that there were a lot of seasoned hunters in their party providing her with instruction, support, and their tags. That said... if it wasnt worked out ahead of time that would be a tough conversation to have with another hunter.

from kena wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

This same story is posted at outdoorlife.com. I am glad there is more interest in the story here. I do disagree with party hunting for bucks, I am in favor for it for does, since Indiana did away with lifetime hunting licenses. (don't want to get into that now). Outdoor life has 10 different pictures, and what i cannot get out of my head, is that she shot all 3 with a muzzleloader, but on outdoor life picture 7 clearly shows a shotgun laying across the deer. ???????

from fishy man wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Give her a break guys, it was their property anyway.

from browning_121 wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

In southern wisconsin, it is unlimited earn a buck in most units. Meaning you get unlimited free tags and every time you register a doe you get a buck validation sticker to apply to another tag. I currently have valid 5 buck tags!! So it is quite possible and likely that she had a tag for all of those bucks on her own. Not saying I agree with the DNR on the season structure, but it is legal. CONGRATS!! To all the haters- READ THE REGS before you criticize, just cuz you cant do it does not mean it cant be done!!!

from WATCHINDEER247365 wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

Don't think anyone said it was illegal. Rather the issue of being ethical or responsible. There are a lot of actions out there that are not ethical and still aren't "illegal". The fact that you CAN keep shooting doesn't mean you SHOULD. If its for meat I'm sure there were plenty of does around. A lot of people fall into the problem of greed and pride. Which if you are reasonable and honest you'll see that those two things are the root cause of most of the problems in the world.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

As long as it was legal in the jurisdiction and season she was hunting in, more power to her. Party hunting is a tradition in some areas just like hound hunting is in others.

from Jim Berardi wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

I'm glad to see girls involved in the sport but I think Dad got carried away when he let her shoot the 3rd one, perhaps if it was a book buck but It looks to be a 2 1/2 year old buck.Wouldn't you want to let him grow another year or two, maybe another young hunter on some nearby property might have harvested it for their first buck-Never know. I'm glad Ohio has no such tagging regulations-the sportsmen I know wouldn't have no part of that(giving up their only buck tag)! It might be legal but not ethical in my book!

from Proverbs wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from stick500 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from bowhunter73 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

not to hate but you shoot one or two not three

from bowhunter73 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from Bellringer wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from CorieSquared wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from WATCHINDEER247365 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from WATCHINDEER247365 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Or even just one hunter does so?

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

not sure i agree with cross tagging. nice bucks, though.

from s1lverfox wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from WATCHINDEER247365 wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

from IowaGuy wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

AWESOME, 3 deer is terrific, 3 very nice bucks like these is unheard of!

from ilikehunting wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from dave the bowhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from WAP wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from kena wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from browning_121 wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

from Jim Berardi wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Stacking em up like cord wood! Good Job and congrats!!

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Good for her!

from Phil1227 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Those are some nice bucks

from dave the bowhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from iowahunter18 wrote 18 hours 34 min ago

from Nolan wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Nice Job!!

from fishy man wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Give her a break guys, it was their property anyway.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago