Turkey Hunting In “O” Magazine

The Gun Nuts

November 24, 2010

Turkey Hunting In “O” Magazine

By Phil Bourjaily

by Phil Bourjaily

A year or so ago I was talking to someone at SHOT Show about public attitudes toward hunting. “If we can get Oprah on our side, we’ve won,” he said.

I don’t know if that’s true, or even if Oprah really is on our side (she did go fly fishing recently), but you can find this story about shooting and cooking your own Thanksgiving dinner by former F&S editor Kim Hiss on Oprah.com:

My Christmas dinner was up in one of those trees. It was snowing lightly on a minus-two-degree dawn, and I was lying on my belly bundled in white camo, pointing the muzzle of a Benelli 12-gauge through a cluster of fireweed. The cold hurt my hands in a way I wondered if I should worry about. In front of me, a snow-coated field stretched for 500 yards to a line of bare trees silhouetted against a blush of sunrise. The trees' branches were dotted with roosting turkeys, and their occasional gobbles carried back across the field to where I waited, breathing into my face mask.

Next to me, rising on his knees to better see the birds, was Brent Lawrence, a friend who worked for the National Wild Turkey Federation, a nonprofit conservation group. We were hunting together outside the town of Kearney, Nebraska, for three days in December—one of which had already passed. Now he tapped my shoulder and pointed: The dots had started flapping to the ground, and single-file lines of birds were bobbing into the field, their chatter echoing in the cold air. I took a deep breath and adjusted my grip on the gun.

I'd started hunting a few years before, shocking everyone who knew me. Not only am I a sucker-hearted animal lover who includes my cats' names on the answering machine, the closest I'd ever come to a firearm was a cardboard prop in a school production of Annie Get Your Gun. But in 2003 I fell into an assistant position at Field & Stream magazine; then I was invited on a mule deer hunt, and then I had some thinking to do.

It has been a few years since I shot my own Thanksgiving turkey in the fall but for a few years I made a point of it. Anyway, congratulations to Kim and to the editors of “O” for publishing a controversial story, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

For the rest of Kim's story, visit Oprah.com.

from Jason Hart wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Great story and glad to view it in a non-outdoors forum. While I am not a huge fan of Oprah, kudos to her for putting this out because like it or not she has the ability to touch millions because of her celebrity status.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

My GAWD! Oprah was on the tube the other day, and everyone was screaming. I yelled at my wife as to what was going on. She said that Oprah had just given everyone in the audience a new Volkswagan. And now she's bought off Phil!! I'd bet that 4 out of 5 folks she associates with, and are on her show, would shutdown hunting in a heartbeat. She did have GW Bush on lately..got to be fair and balanced.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

My wife was complaining she had a opportunity go to the Oprah show the day they gave the cars away. I told her I'll be darned if a Volkswagon sits in my driveway.

Kim was a good one. How did F&S ever let her get away?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

You have to ask yourself, "Why did F&S hire a non-hunter as an editor in the first place?" And now she works for Oprah? Geeze

from jbird wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

WAM- I wondered the exact same thing.
Oprah is the undisputed queen of media, so if she does anything that puts hunting/fishing in a positive light, I'm all for it, and consider it a "positive".

from Brian W. Thair wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Kim Hiss is a good writer, a good hunter and carries a good philosophy. A must read story.

from jersey pig wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

F+S definitly screwed up letting her get away

from iowahunter18 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

F&S let her go because she was and is a crazy cat lady. You know, those parasites that cats have can really make someone senile.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Phil

"For the rest of Kim's story, visit Oprah dot Com?"

Phil, you're making me queasy! This is the home of shooting and big game hunting, not self improvement and understanding the transgendered!

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I'm glad for our side to have the exposure, without the shooter coming off as some blood-thirsty barbarian type.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I'm taken back on this being published on Mrs O's? Perhaps there is something about Her we need to get to know??

recieved this many moons ago in a email,

THE TRUTH - LIBERAL WOMEN ARE JEALOUS OF SARAH PALIN
Posted by Mike Silverman on Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:34:14 AM
The more I ponder the vitriol and venom that liberal women are spewing like acid at Sarah Palin, the more I have boiled it down to something less complicated than ideology from them. Sarah Palin is what they wish they could be. These liberal ladies want to have the cheers and throngs of full throated support that Sarah has, and they hate the fact that Sarah is an attractive Republican woman. She's strong, confident, Conservative, happy with her life, beautiful and admired by millions. The liberal female pundits, radical feminists and hollywood kooks who have cultivated thier narrow political audiences are bewildered and jealous over this. Sure there's some ideology mixed in, but I think it's used more as a cover for the seething jealousy of her popularity. To these liberal ladies, "they" are supposed to be the pinnacle of popularity. They have prostituted themsleves to the ideology of a fringe viewpoint , and as a result they get "in" to the elite gatherings of social snobbery that represent that radical view of the country. But , do they really believe the lunacy of the liberalism they spew, or are they towing the line so that they can keep that "in" crowd venue with the mopy miserable depressed liberals who wring thier hands at the unfairness of life, financial success, and carbon-dioxide? I think they secretly wish they could "be" Sarah Palin, because Sarah has not had to go "phony" and be something that "others" want her to be in order to "fit in" with the super egos of radical beligerants. She's not one of them. Sarah doesn't care to rub shoulders with the illuminati of liberal inner circles. It doesn't make sense to the liberal mindset. In thier world view there are not supposed to be "normal" people in this country. Or, at least the "normal" people are supposed to be the "fringe" nutcases not the rallying point of the great majority. But the rest of us know why Sarah is popular. Precisely because she represents the core values we cherish most.

- Mike Silverman, Milford MA

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Remember this

Tom Selleck on the Rosie O'Donnell Show

I wonder if Tom Selleck was interviewed by Oprah, it would have been more civil?

Perhaps we need to revisit our point of view especially with Oprah?

from shane wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Cool. I don't care what anybody thinks. This is as good as good media gets for us. This is great.

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I will never visit Opra dot com, thank you

from PbHead wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Thanks for the interesting post.

A very Happy Thanksgiving to Phil, Dave, all of the F&S gang and all who post here.

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I think we need to remember where O. came from.
A litle town in south miss. where hunting and fishing was deeply rooted.
We need to play on that and try and recruit every body we can.

from kudukid wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Oprah may just be one of the biggest turkeys of all.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY!

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Well at least she had something decent to say for once.

from Quiet Loner wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Can this story be reprinted in F&S? It is as good as most anything I have read there. Wish some of the TV hunting shows could have a script something like this instead of bozos yehawing and cavorting after a kill.
I grew up on a dirt-poor farm where Mama wrung chicken's necks. Daddy shot hogs between the eyes before sticking them and we all scraped the hair off after he scalded them just long enough to loosen it. Worked on a broiler chicken farm 10 years where I wrung thousands of necks of crippled/injured poultry. I stopped counting my whitetail kills long ago and I processed the meat of all but a couple. In 37 years as a wildlife biologist I probably handled thousands of deer, hogs & small animals. To this day, my reaction to a kill is closer to that of this lady than to that displayed on the shows. And I always hope death will be instant or painless.
Thanks for posting the article.

from Quiet Loner wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

One more thing; you will notice that it didn't all happen in 30 minutes.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I'm not ready to toss Oprah under the buss just yet. I don't know all the facts about Her at this time!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Quiet Loner

I'm impressed and agree with you

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Im secure enough in my manhood to let you all know Iseen that show where O'went camping with her friend.it was funny how she looked on other campers for input.Id of liked to see her rough it a bit more.And was shocked to see her fish.But I lmao when they were preparing dinner and her friend really wanted a big cheese burger!!you go girl!!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

J.A. Good observation Sir and a +1, the best way to introduce those and to best to represent our side is by maintaining standards of moral caricature instead of hate and discontent that will run anyone off!

Few months ago, sure got embarrassing the way those mistreated Ted Nugent despite and regardless of what one thinks.

Excuse me; this is my exit where I take the “High Road”!

from Carney wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I don't like Oprah at all. I am regularly surprised (and would be amused if it were not so dangerous) at the number of women (and men) who have no "source book" for life beyond Oprah...

I do however, appreciate Kim Hiss. It has been said before but bears repeating that F&S could have done better cutting somewhere else when they let her go.

I'd venture to say that most of the F&S readership (and perhaps the editorial board) has no idea how far out of the mainstream the hunting world is, nor the tremendous paradigm shift required to go from the "American non hunting cultural norm", to recognizing the validity and ultimately positive nature of hunting. Kim's full article on Oprah's website is an excellent example of the kind of cultural engagement that the non hunting world needs to see and the hunting world must demonstrate. The comments that followed the article are an excellent example of the great divide between those to worlds!

Letting Kim Hiss go several years ago was maybe pennys wise, but in my opinion, dollars foolish as F&S is losing valuable time in establishing a clear, culturally relevant, feminine voice that is capable of touching both worlds.

I'm just sayin...

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Myself?
Nah! I won't justify "O" mag by attending it's website. Sorry, there are some things I just WON'T do!
As far as Ms. Hiss, truly enjoyed the portion of the story available!
There is no doubt Ms. "O" is a media genius. I wandered into a home with her on TV once. Like to guess who her guest was that day? She touted the man as the answer to America's many problems! Yep! B. Obama!!!

Bubba

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

A celebrity's ability to lead masses of ignorant people around by the nose ring has always fascinated, and disgusted me.

We see it all the time. An actor, with no background in whatever subject they go on about, can convince millions to do certain actions. Lately, there's been a lot of anti-gun, anti-hunting, anti-meat-eating kid millionares who proclaim to know what we need.

Sometimes it's relatively safe, like telling us what shoes to wear, or what soda to drink. But don't tell people how to vote unless you have a Masters in Political Science.

Ms. O claims to be expert in all things, and there are just too many bored (sorry, but mostly women) people who will accept her ideas on what to do, what to read, what to wear, and what to think.

I am just amazed that a positive hunting event came out of this propaganda machine at all.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

just wondering what oprah is up to with all this. i said this before and got negativess for it, but i'm gonna say it again...i'm not buying it!

from Longbeard wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Has Hell frozen over? A reasonable, balanced story re: hunting on Oprah.com? Well, as much as I'd like to have the job myself, maybe F&S should hire more non-hunters, introduce them to ethical hunting, and let them spread the word to the non-hunting public in a forum that they will trust. Who better than Oprah, with her media empire, to provide that forum? What's next? another Oprie staffer roasting a hog he/she downed with a smokepole? I'll provide the hunt if O gives the OK!

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Kim was relatively new to hunting. There was a certain excitement in her writing that can only come from a newbie.

As for Oprah and the like. They are not like us and h

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

As for Oprah and the like. They are not like us and h

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

As for Oprah and the like. They are not like us and h

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Con't...

have different views. As long as they do not try to take away our freedom and sport (which they are not) I see nothing wrong with it.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

From the lyrics of .38 Special--7 words-- I want you back where you belong!

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Good for you Kimmy!!!!! Merry CHRISTmas!

from JohnR wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

That was a very well written article and it had "real" written all over it (cat lover or not). "O" magazine is read by all walks of people. Kim revealed the positive side of hunting and was very crafty with that line "I made a Wal-Mart run for more ice packs. A woman in line in front of me was buying a roasted chicken in a plastic container. I wondered where her bird came from."
This is the type of stuff non-hunters need to read. They may never hunt themselves, but would possibly support hunting if seen in a positive manner.
Kudos to Kim for getting the article in "O" magazine.
As for Oprah, she is a talented actress (remember "The Color Purple"). Yeah she supported Obama, but so did a lot of people who are now questioning their previous decision. My opinion; let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

from IowaGuy wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Nice article. As hunters number dwindle, and fewer acres are open to hunting, or have wal-marts replacing pastures, hunting needs all the goog press it can get in non-hunting magazines.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I consider it a good thing to have a balanced article like this appear in Oprah's mag. All one has to do is look at the comments and see that it promoted more good than the standard schlock from the likes of "susanbenson42" and her diet of roots and herbaceous plant material that harms no one. Wonder if Ms. 42 has thought about the wildlife displaced from the forest converted to agriculture. But... I guess that might make her head and heart really hurt. Good for Kim that she can circulate in that environment and present such positive article to the other side about hunting. I wish her well and many happy hunting expereicences.

Editors take note... you might ask Kim to guest a column now and then. A fresh approach might not hurt. My hunting wife comments all the time that a women oriented hunting magazine would do wonders for our hunitng cause.

from jbird wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

WAM- I wondered the exact same thing.

from Jason Hart wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

recieved this many moons ago in a email,

THE TRUTH - LIBERAL WOMEN ARE JEALOUS OF SARAH PALIN
Posted by Mike Silverman on Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:34:14 AM

- Mike Silverman, Milford MA

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I think we need to remember where O. came from.
A litle town in south miss. where hunting and fishing was deeply rooted.
We need to play on that and try and recruit every body we can.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Kim was a good one. How did F&S ever let her get away?

from Brian W. Thair wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from jersey pig wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

F+S definitly screwed up letting her get away

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Phil

"For the rest of Kim's story, visit Oprah dot Com?"

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Remember this

Tom Selleck on the Rosie O'Donnell Show

Perhaps we need to revisit our point of view especially with Oprah?

from shane wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from PbHead wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Thanks for the interesting post.

from Quiet Loner wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Thanks for posting the article.

from Carney wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I'm just sayin...

from jamesti wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I will never visit Opra dot com, thank you

from Longbeard wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from JohnR wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Kudos to Kim for getting the article in "O" magazine.

from kudukid wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Oprah may just be one of the biggest turkeys of all.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY!

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Well at least she had something decent to say for once.

from Quiet Loner wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

One more thing; you will notice that it didn't all happen in 30 minutes.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Quiet Loner

I'm impressed and agree with you

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Excuse me; this is my exit where I take the “High Road”!

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Myself?
As far as Ms. Hiss, truly enjoyed the portion of the story available!

Bubba

from IowaGuy wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from iowahunter18 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

As for Oprah and the like. They are not like us and h

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

As for Oprah and the like. They are not like us and h

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

As for Oprah and the like. They are not like us and h

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Con't...

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

From the lyrics of .38 Special--7 words-- I want you back where you belong!

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Good for you Kimmy!!!!! Merry CHRISTmas!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago