The 6th Shot's a Charm on 'Sarah Palin's Alaska'

Field Notes

December 07, 2010

The 6th Shot's a Charm on 'Sarah Palin's Alaska'

By Chad Love

As part of her "Sarah Palin's Alaska" TLC reality (or unreality, depending on your point of view) show, Sarah Palin went caribou hunting recently, and unfortunately for her, the cameras were rolling. From this story on Politico:

Gun shy? Vegetarian? Then Sunday night’s episode of “Sarah Palin’s Alaska” was definitely not for you. Before the hour-long show kicked off, TLC flashed a warning message about program material that “may be disturbing to some viewers.” It came on again halfway through the show before a bloody caribou carcass took center stage. It was a rarity for a reality show that is endlessly touted as family-friendly. But the warning was needed: Some kids, regardless of their parents’ political stripes, might feel pretty queasy at the site of a caribou being shot and cut apart. If you haven’t already guessed, the fourth installment of “Sarah Palin’s Alaska” was all about hunting. Sarah, her dad Chuck Heath and their friend Becker headed north of the Arctic Circle for a two-day caribou-hunting trip.

"...it proved fortuitous that she had her friend Becker, too. With a caribou in range, Sarah took about five shots with two of her father’s guns and missed.

“You shot high,” her father concluded before Sarah tried Becker’s gun. Sarah shot the caribou on her first attempt with the third gun, prompting an excited “There you go baby, there you go,” from Becker (who had already killed one caribou on the trip). After Sarah posed with her kill for the camera, the Palins and Becker got out their knives and packed up the caribou to take home to Wasilla. But before they could head home, Sarah’s father tested his guns on a target to make sure they were really off. A few shots and missed targets later, he decided they were, and that Sarah was a good shot after all."

Reaction? You think those guns were really "shooting high" or does a certain "Mama Grizzly" need to spend more time at the range and less time on Fox News?

from ggmack wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

i believe the rifles shoot high and that palin needed more time on the range. while I do believe that they were shooting high but any responsible hunter would check the zero on their chosen weapon before going hunting so both. Shame on Sarah for needing that many shots and shame on her father for not checking zero on the rifles.

from Bob81 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I think it's great that someone in the public eye got out hunting.

However, watching that sequence made me cringe. The fact she was shooting a bunch of guns that apparently hadn't been sighted in and that she didn't seem to know how to load herself was irresponsible.

We all had to start somewhere, but there's a lot to be said for taking the time to "do it right", especially when depicting our sport on the national stage.

from stick500 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

makes hunting looking pretty easy- I would say that most big-game hunters don't get any second shots, must less 6!

from stick500 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

she looks like she shoulders the stock too low as well- perhaps that has something to do with the misses
I think she's kind of a phony as far as being a big angler or hunter- while AK teenage boys were out honing their outdoor skills in the fall, I get the feeling Sarah was more interested in the beauty pageants and basketball....

from aferraro wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Test

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from rock rat wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

It's too bad they didn't just do a show about her dad going hunting, he is a lifelong hunter.

from aferraro wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

This should have been a golden moment for hunting, but she totally blew it. Honestly, it was amateurish hunting and politics. She has to know everyone and there brother will scrutinize this scene and didn't site in the guns! Oh, and then you broadcast the fact that you didn't site in the guns. Why to protect her reputation for marksmanship? Cheney is a better hunter.

from aferraro wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

BTW-
Cheney's first name blocks posts for obscene content-

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I will give her credit for deciding the air the missed shots.

from Bernie wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I thought Sarah fired the first five shots from what looked like a post-'64 Model 70, possibly a .243. Then she was handed the 7mm Magnum, which appeared to be a Savage bolt-action, and made the shot. I also remember her father taking a nasty fall, but don't know if he was carrying the .243 at that time or not. If so, that could have knocked it out of zero. If not, Bob81 is right. She should have fired the rifle before taking it hunting.

I couldn't figure out why they flew 600 miles one-way almost to the Arctic Ocean when they could have flown southwest of Anchorage to the Mulchatna/Nushigak country--great caribou country and less than half the distance they traveled.

from Muleynut30.06 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

At least they were clean misses and she didnt hit it in the leg or gut shot and when she did hit she took it down with one shot.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Can you imagine Hillary in one of her tight pantsuits doing the same thing??? Gak!

from RonDak wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I think this video is just starting to show that she has GREATLY exaggerated her hunting and fishing credentials. Similar to how she has exaggerated her leadership experience. It's all just smoke and mirrors with her. What a joke.

from jjas wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I would imagine it sucks to miss that many times on TV.......

Will Sarah Palin regret this episode? Why do I have a feeling the answer to that question is "You Betcha"....

from wgiles wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I saw the show. When her father handed his rifle to her, there was no obvious reason to think that it had been bumped, but it was shooting very high. When she was handed the other rifle, she took the cow with the first shot. I believe that there were only two rifles involved, her father's and his friend's. After the hunt, her father shot at a paper plate at about the same distance and missed completely. I have to believe that his rifle was off and that she was not to blame for the misses. It is important to step aside from the politics and remember that this is hunting. I've seen plenty of other people do the same thing. Anything on regular TV that doesn't run hunting down is a good thing. They boned the caribou out and packed the meat back to camp and flew it home. If she regrets the show, so will the rest of us. The enemy is far better organized than we are.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I think she is very ditsy and not nessisarly a good spoke person for us and the show only perpetuated a stereo type that hunters are just poking through the woods (tundra) and unloading clips on the first animal we see. She does not look as skilled with a rifle as it was cliamed.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I don't care how well she did it , all I care is that she did it, and she liked it! What else really matters?

from Kato wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

This is shameful on so many levels. This was and unskilled, unsafe and disrespectful show of sportmanship. How a Alaskan hunter, let alone a millionaire, doesn't own their own rifle is beyond me. Not having sighted the rifle in is another. Having "experienced" hunters guide someone this inexperienced in the field in this fashion is shameful.

One of the first lessons of shooting a high-powered rifle is to know what you're shooting at. Without sighting in the rifle yourself, you have no idea where it's going to shoot. Did any of the people involved stop and wonder where to stray bullets were going at that lethal velocity? You never shoot at a target without knowing what's behind it, or in this case, what's on the other side of the ridge. I've never seen an Alaskan target practice with a bow and arrow by shooting it straight up in the air.

This style of shooting may account for a majority of the three-legged caribou wandering in the tundra. Blaze orange wouldn't help you or your children's safety if hunters are out there shooting aimlessly out of the line of sight.

I hope the Papa Grizzlies out there teach their cubs how to safely and humanely pursue game. This video can be used as a reference guide for how not to hunt.

from shane wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

It's sad that we needed this to prove that she is no good for us. Not only does it show here true phony colors, it's yet another black eye for the hunting community. Either she can't shoot straight or they are horribly irresponsible for not properly zeroing the rifle. Not sure which is more shameful.

from 1uglymutha wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

aside from the five missed shots, the fact that the sight of a bloody and butchered carcass could be disturbing to some viewers is what disturbs me. a very sad commentary on what our society has become. i've always believed that no one past the age of fourteen should be allowed to eat meat unless that person has killed, butchered and cooked a wild animal. we are here because our ancestors were predators. the fact that we now focus our culinary attentions on domestic animals makes us no less a predatory species. the only difference is that we can now afford to hire others to do the killing and butchering for us. (most of us anyway.) seems cowardly doesn't it? i'll bet the folks at peta and the other so called "humanitarian" groups are first in line when the steaks and burgers come off the grill. and of course,their sensibilities are not offended by meat purchased in a market. or at macdonalds.

from ocasusosr wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

What was Sarah and the producers of this show thinking of ?
On any of the shows that depict hunting on television , the responsible hunters are always shown first sighting in their firearms and bows to ensure zero for a clean kill.
This is something that Sarah , as an accomplished sportswoman , and her producers , as professionals should have done and shown as a necessary procedure to ensure a good hunt. I can't imagine walking into the woods on opening day, after waiting all year for it to come , without first spending some time at the range and knowing exactly where my bullet is going to hit.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Mixed feelings. Remember, it's a production. Basically, the rifles were like props in a play. Not being sighted in was a big faux pas for sombody, but not necessarily for Ms. Sarah. The "prop boy" should have verified the sighting.

Of course, all of us who have rifles would want to take them out a few times every year just to keep in shape, and make sure they are still tight.

The part that truly amazes me is the fact that it just stood there, with her blazing away, just watching. I've never seen anything remotely like that in real life. If I sneeze, every deer in the county runs to the next state.

I wonder if that scene was just editing. Take a film of a caribou, edit parts with her sighting in... I mean, I didn't see an 'over the shoulder' shot. Was there one?

from Paul Wilke wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I saw that episode, Dad had a fall with the rifle, might be the reason that it was off.
They showed a butchering technic that I haven't used, but might try, not so much worry about urine or fecal matter contamination.
Face it Sarah's not the "great white hunter", just another hunter and camper that has the shortfalls that all of us suffer from.
All told it was an interesting show, more about Alaska and hunting there than about Sarah. Good show.

from rock rat wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

They could have edited it all out but they didn't. Bravo for truthiness.

I'd think for the general public the segment generated more good will than not.

I think Ms. Palin serves a much better purpose exposing the viewersto the outdoors than she does as a commentator on Fox.

from The Woodsman wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I have a great idea for her show. A long bow Grizzly hunt I'm fairly certain she's as effective with a long bow as a rifle. I'd run right out and get me a TV and a satellite subscription just for that episode.

from maccamera wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

This was an embarrasement. All it took was to watch how poorly she shouldered the rifle to know this woman is a phoney. Then, to watch her father work the bolt for her between the numerous misses was not only unsafe firearm handling, but, shameful as well. Then, she was shooting at an animal that was skylined on a ridgeline! Where are all those misses going Sarah? This just shows how poorly this woman prepares for a task. You can't blame "the liberal media" on this one, it's YOUR SHOW! Unsafe and unskilled, made us all look bad. Sorry for venting, it just made me angry to watch such a poor display of skills and safety.

from Dcast wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I didn't watch the show nor do I care too. It seems as if all here have never missed a shot(I know 6 is something special!)because of rookie mistakes. Hell I did last week trying to see where the shot went as I pulled the trigger! Yeh dumb move on my part! Now the people complaining about not knowing where the bullet went is really funny! Not only are they in the tundra out in the middle of no where the likelyhood of seeing another person is a 1:1,000,000,000 ect... chance let alone shooting them on a missed shot. How many here have hit there scopes or whatever going to the stand in the dark? Did you turn around and go home and sight it back in? Or did you go ahead and get in the stand and talk yourself into it not being off? It seems alot of people forget about their own stupid mistakes and the fact that they overlook something but will trash someone else who does the same thing. I'm not going to sit here say it was ok that she didn't sight in the gun nor can I say she didn't it's tv and editing is done to get the meat and potatoes not the little subtleties. It is different with professinal hunting shows showing this because they are professionals after all and should have all their equipment tip top and the viewers would expect that from a pro. She isn't a pro and we have no proof that she didn't sight it in, that part could be on the cutting room floor. I will be the first to admit at making mistakes in the field some are intentional and 99% are not, and I don't believe one second all of you never made mistakes. Forget her politics and your own self righteousness and except what happened as a rookie mistake by a rookie hunter in front of millions of viewers, and quit knocking all the hunters that are not as knowledgable as us and let that be a learning moment for them.

from shane wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

That's the thing...according to her she's not a rookie hunter. She used to brag all the time about her hunting experience. She can't even work the damn bolt. Phony.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

yea the dad definitley fell with the rifle, which could probably be why it was off. and as far as shooting at the skylined caribou i dont have a problem with it, becuase lets be honest here, its not like theres a neighborhood on the other side of the hill, there in the middle of BFE. now as far as having to have dad work the bolt for her i think that sorta says somethign about her hunting experience. but keep at it palin, we need all the hunters we can get, especially in the government.

from wvboy1022 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

thats sad.

from Dcast wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Shane, she may not be a rookie hunter and claim that, but I know and you do also that she doesn't get out in the field like we do. As for not being able to operate a bolt gun that's sorry, however in the same sense if you handed me a AR-whatever or something similar I would have zero ability to use it I would be guessing at whatever I attempted with it and some of you would say I'm sorry with that kind of gun in my hand! Also she could be used to a different style of gun than a bolt action and completely blanked when the time came. Or she could of just blanked period when the time came, I've completely forgot what my telephone# and bank account# was before when asked for it and I can recite them on demand usually. I don't know I try to give people the benefit of the doubt before jumping on them even htough sometimes I jump on them anyways. My $.02

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from dangerous game wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

ok this is her fault and her fathers fault. whe nyou go hunting the SHOOTER has to zero the gun, not just the person that has the gun. come on! you cant even work the bolt on a rifle! and she cant even defend that she did sight it because for each gun she asked "does it kick?" she seemed like she had never even shot a bb gun before. she gives us hunters a bad name.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I don't think its upseting to see her miss it does happen but she claimed to be a hunter and as alaskan as it gets she runs on a folksy attitude and doesn't walk the walk. she looked like someone who had never handled a gun. with people around her afriad to tell her what she was doing wrong for the show and to not hurt the appearance that she is an accomplished and skilled hunter. Well by not doing so she looked like a lier and lost my respect as a fellow hunter.

from maxpenner wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

This was the worst thing she could have done for her political career.Think about it shooting a reindeer right before christmas.I know its a caribou but most people see a reindeer.Ha Ha Ha

from Ruckweiler wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

Don't believe she has ever "hyped" her hunting skills. It's the political component that influences the adverse comments about her hunting. She's been a lifelong hunter and you will notice that the second rifle was used ONCE! Yes, it's a production but how many hunters haven't done the same thing without there being a camera present? Fess up. Leave the woman alone.

from agricity wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

Shooting high. Okay may be a good excuse. Buck disregard for safety is not. She was shooting at game on the horizon. Those hunters had no idea what lay beyond the field of view.

from bobbyirwin81 wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

i think sarah palin would make a great political leader for this country regardless of her skills at hunting. at least she is out there trying to make things better for sportsmen and women all over the country, more than you can say about many other politicians in this day and age

from aferraro wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from wgiles wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from Bob81 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I think it's great that someone in the public eye got out hunting.

from 1uglymutha wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from ggmack wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from RonDak wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from stick500 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from maccamera wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I will give her credit for deciding the air the missed shots.

from Muleynut30.06 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I would imagine it sucks to miss that many times on TV.......

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from Kato wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from Paul Wilke wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from Dcast wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from shane wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from dangerous game wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from shane wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

They could have edited it all out but they didn't. Bravo for truthiness.

I'd think for the general public the segment generated more good will than not.

from The Woodsman wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from wvboy1022 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

thats sad.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from stick500 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from aferraro wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

BTW-
Cheney's first name blocks posts for obscene content-

from Bernie wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from ocasusosr wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

What was Sarah and the producers of this show thinking of ?

from scratchgolf72 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago