Duck Report From Stuttgart

Man's Best Friend

December 21, 2010

Duck Report From Stuttgart

By David DiBenedetto

Pritchard and I just returned from Stuttgart, Ark., where we hunted timber for ducks. As I mentioned last week, this was a first for both of us. And on return I can tell you this—if you love duck hunting and have never been too Stuttgart, make plans to. And if you have a gun dog, bring her.

At times, ducks (mallards, spoonies, etc.) and geese (snows and speckled bellies) literally darkened the skies. Roadside fields were alive with thousands of birds. And the timber was loaded with mallards. The birds were so plentiful they made me look like a decent shot, and a group of five of us would limit out by 7:30 a.m.

As for my dog, well, Pritch was on the B-team this week, falling in line behind Maggie, my nephew’s golden retriever. But she made an appearance in the blind, and learned what it truly means to Watch for birds. Her retrieves were a little less than mediocre, but she made huge strides with her steadiness. No more whimpering. No more chewing the bark off of trees, bucking, etc. Just a steady dog ready to go to work. That was worth the price of the trip alone…but I surely didn’t mind the shooting.

Pritch also took quickly to life at the lodge. (If there ever was an argument for crate training, travel with a gun dog is number one.) And we worked every afternoon in the nearby timber. Then at sunset we’d sit at the edge of the pond and work on Watch.

I’ve said before that training a gun dog has made me get out in the field more often, and this trip was one of those occasions. Hunting with my brothers and my nephews made it all the more special. This may not have been Pritch’s most shining moment (I’m still waiting on that), but it was unforgettable. And for that I can thank my dog.

Anyone else having good luck this waterfowl season? Is your dog performing up to expectations? Let’s hear it.

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Glad to hear your trip went great!

from pinopolis wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

sounds like a sweet trip—congrats! and, man, those are a couple of good looking hunting dogs.

from Ace088 wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Sounds like a duck hunters and dog trainers paridise. I live in WI and I have a 11 month old Lab who expereiced her first duck and phesant hunting season duck season is over but we are still chasing around a few roosters. I can not even explain how pleased I was with her. About 95% of her retrieves were flawless and watching her work and do what her and I have worked hard to accomplish has been awesome Just watching her enjoy hunting with me and being in the field made the hunting trips completly worth all the work.

from pschubeee wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Ducks, Dogs, & Kids out hunting. It really doesn't get any better than that. Stuttgart looks and sounds great. Thanks for sharing your story to a former waterfowler from WI living in FL-makes me want to move.

from dogwood wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

In 1972, four impoverished law students drove in a VW micro minibus from Athens, GA to Stuttgart at a top speed of 50 mph--down hill. Dogs and squirrels passed us going up Eagle Pass near Chattanooga The plan was to camp out to save money. When we arrived, it was pouring rain and the only place we could camp, according to the police, was in a local park that had six inches of water over it. The decision was easy to change plans and stay at the Mallard Inn a rock throw from KWAK the radio station. We brought two coolers. One had PBR, the other eggs, bacon and frozen packets of chili I had made before leaving. That was breakfast, lunch and supper for two days. Yes, chili and beer is a great combination for four guys in one motel room--and waders.
We hunted the flooded timber owned by "Slick" McCullom, a local rice farmer-coroner. We limited out both days. It was fabulous. The total cost for two days hunting, licenses, guide fees, food, lodging and gas was $75 each. One of the best hunting trips I've ever had at any price. Thanks for jogging my memory. Glad you had a great trip. It is a wonder to see that many birds in the air. At the time, it was estimated that 1,000,000 mallards wintered in the 800 square mile area around Stuttgart.

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

dogwood-- Slick's place is still loaded with birds...I know because that's where we hunted. Owned by the third generation of McCulloms. As for your drive, our haul was 12 hours with an SUV loaded down with hunters and dogs and a trailer behind us. We were averaging about 70 mph. But you have us whipped when it comes total cost of trip! Thanks for passing along a cool report from the past.

from Taylor Kash wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Stuttgart is just a couple hour drive from where I live. Me and a few buddies go to Stuttgart at least a couple times a year and usually limit out before we hardly get settled. If you plan on making a trip to the wonderful state of Arkansas, check out Lake Nimrod, its about 30 minutes from Hot Springs. Nimrod isn't as well known as Stuttgart, but Nimrod always has waterfowl and isn't as hunter populated as Stuttgart is so you are much more likely to get the hunting spot you wanted.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Where in the hell you go duck hunting in Stuttgart, all private land and are leased hunts!

from Taylor Kash wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Our local ducks unlimited have land down there. But, we have hunted on public land in Stuttgart before, it is there.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

David and Eddie have come down here to hunt and they know about Stuttgart, but good hunting can be found on any puddle near food, or rest areas in Arkansas, I slept in my truck to get in a honey hole on public land and it was a blast to chip away at what appears to be an epidemic of green heads when conditions are ideal. Some areas remain steady even after intense hunting. Guys are taking in 20 gauges and bows just to up the challenge. I have stop shooting beavers over their positive impact on creating a duck rest spot.

from pinopolis wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Glad to hear your trip went great!

from Ace088 wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago