Gun Test: The Kenny Jarrett AR

The Gun Nuts

December 20, 2010

Gun Test: The Kenny Jarrett AR

By David E. Petzal

David E. Petzal tests out the Kenny Jarrett AR. Never heard of it? Check out the video below:

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Good to see Mr. Jarret has found a way to stay viable. He had pretty much saturated his bolt gun market. With all the fervor over the AR's it would stand to reason he would apply his expertise to that arena.

Looks like he needs to tune the ejector to toss the brass a little more forward for us left handers. Judging by where the empties were bouncing off your shoulder, with a wide open shirt collar on a warm day things could get interesting!

from pbshooter1217 wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Did the video say how much one of those guns cost?

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Coming from Jarret, I'm sure it is a very well built rifle, shoots exactly where you point it, is very reliable, and comes with a hefty price tag. To me, it is just another black rifle that I don't really have a use for. I will stick with my M-1A, which has proven itself reliable, shoots a better man stopper bullet, and probably did not have a Jarret price tag. I hope I never have to use it (the M-1A) for it's intended purpose.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Does Jarett include that fancy leatherman tool so you can fix it when it jams up?? or is that not included in the $3000.00 price tag??

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

One of my friends has an M1 Garand in unfired condition. It's got a beautiful walnut stock, 2 bayonets, and lots of ammo, clips and extras. He is asking $3K but I'm sure that is negotiable. I have photos and his address if anyone is interested.
As for myself, if it isn't a bolt gun or single shot... no thanks.

from O Garcia wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

even the Springfield M1 rifles are expensive, when you really think about it.

from Logan C. Adams wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

I bet it's worth every penny, but I still don't have enough pennies to buy one of those. Not by a long shot.

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Del's last sentence fits my opinion. I don't need the thing.

from Carney wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Questions:
What is this rifle chambered for? The bore at the muzzle looked pretty small -- .223 or .243 but at the range it looked like it had more recoil than I would have expected...

Why didn't we get to see the second group? You have to know that would make inquiring minds wonder...

What is the story on the whitetail rack hanging in your shop?

The final word = I am slowly but surely warming up to the whole AR reality. I can imagine myself behind one in .223 or something way out in the future but it won't be my first stop along the way... I'm thinking .50 Beowulf!

from GunNut wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Personally, I think this is a very fine firearm with a not so fine price. If I was able to put that kind of cash into firearm I would. But like Dave said, nothing is perfect now is it. Anyways, I like the video, the Kenny Jarett AR, and the trijicon scope.

from GunNut wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Personally, I think this is a very fine firearm with a not so fine price. If I was able to put that kind of cash into a firearm I would. But like Dave said, nothing is perfect now is it. Anyways, I like the video, the Kenny Jarett AR, and the trijicon scope.

from GunNut wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Sorry about both of those only wanted one, accidently double clicked.

from GunNut wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal, I would like to know what kind of scope that is. I know it's a Trijicon, but what's the variable power, and also if it's worth the money?

from Shaky wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

For any who read my former comments on my personal lack of interest in the AR, I have changed my mind. After undergoing radical surgery on my right cheek to remove the cancer that lived there,ie all the muscle was removed, I can't handle the recoil of my favorite bolt guns. I came into possession of a Bushmaster Predator in .223. Virtually no recoil, acceptable accuracy and easy to load for. It has been the difference between shooting a .22 rim fire or not shooting anything but a handgun. It took a lot of development of loads to gain accuracy that truly pleases me, but I have developed two that will shoot .5 groups consistently. That is 5 shots at 100yds. One is a 55gr Siera , the other is a 60gr Nozzler Partition.
As far as jams of any kind, it has not in over 2000 rounds. Trigger pull, first stage 1.75 lb,second stage 2.5 lb. Barrel length 24",twist 1in9". Weight is 9#2oz. with Leupold 3-9 Vx3 scope and 5rnd.mag.
One thing I have noticed in people, (including Mr.Petzal in the video), who are adept and even expert rifle shooters with bolt and single shot rifles, is the tendency to release the trigger immediately after the arm fires. Here I quote the police trainer who instructed we newbies in auto-loading firearm accuracy. "hold that trigger back until you feel the s.o.b. re-set! It's called follow through, if you are afraid it is going to go full automatic, jerking your finger off the trigger ain't gonna stop it anyway". This is true in any auto-loader, rifle, pistol,or shotgun. If you are concentrating on getting your finger off the trigger, that muzzle will wobble and throw your shot off a teeny bit, and when you are shooting at a sage rat 225yds away and can only see his head, you miss. I am not presenting myself as an expert on this or any other subject, but relaying the one thing that has improved my accuracy with auto-loaders more than anything else. Try it, you might like it.
Oh, and one more thing, putting heavy oil or grease in the trigger assembly, or on the moving parts of the action is begging for hang-ups, as my shooting partner found out. I use powdered graphite like is used on locks. Works for me.

from Cbass wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Nice take, Shaky.
Thanks for the video, DP. The name of the company that makes the upper is DPMS, and the upper model is Lo-Pro. Kudos to Mr. Jarrett for improving the monster idustry of the AR.
I don't know that I'd break the bank on one of his ARs- Probably one of his bolt rifles, though....

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Should I or shouldn't I ? :)

from WCP - Jon wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Carney -

I can answer your question about the second grouping, or at least provide an explanation as we at Wolf Creek Productions produced the series.

The clip available here is not the complete version. The episode that aired showed the second grouping and had David at the target board talking about it. We provided clips of the show to both Field & Stream and Outdoor Channel for them to put online, but due to time/file size constraints, not everything gets put online. So on the TV show that this segment was pulled from, there was more to the Kenny Jarret segment... including a wrap up of the second grouping.

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Unless it's in 338 why bother?

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

An AR in .338? Now that might be a black rifle I could find interesting.

from Cbass wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

@ crm3006: DPMS, among others has a .338 model. However, it's .338 Federal. I saw footage of their president taking a Dall ram with his.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Shaky wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

As for myself, if it isn't a bolt gun or single shot... no thanks.

from O Garcia wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

even the Springfield M1 rifles are expensive, when you really think about it.

from Carney wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Questions:

What is the story on the whitetail rack hanging in your shop?

from pbshooter1217 wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Did the video say how much one of those guns cost?

from Logan C. Adams wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Del's last sentence fits my opinion. I don't need the thing.

from GunNut wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from GunNut wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from GunNut wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Sorry about both of those only wanted one, accidently double clicked.

from GunNut wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Cbass wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Nice take, Shaky.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Should I or shouldn't I ? :)

from WCP - Jon wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Carney -

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Unless it's in 338 why bother?

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

An AR in .338? Now that might be a black rifle I could find interesting.

from Cbass wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago