Survivorman Les Stroud and Helle Team Up For New "Temagami" Knife

Field Notes

December 16, 2010

Survivorman Les Stroud and Helle Team Up For New "Temagami" Knife

By David Maccar

by David Maccar

You may remember a couple months ago we reviewed two items from a new line of survival knives designed by TV host and survivalist Bear Grylls and Gerber Legendary Blades. Now, another of TV’s famous survivalists will release a blade bearing his own signature touches.

Les Stroud, of “Survivorman” fame, has joined forces with the Norwegian knife company, Helle, to create “The Temagami – A knife you can actually use in the wilderness.”

According to a press release from the company, Stroud once found a Helle knife on the forest floor while trekking the Temagami Canadian wilderness. Getting a hint as to where the name came from?

Apparently it was “the best knife Stroud would ever use,” and he did so for several years until the wilderness reclaimed it.

From the release:
Years later, Helle became interested in Stroud as Survivorman, attracted to his philosophies, his values, and way of thinking. Helle approached Stroud to design a new knife – a knife that could be used by true outdoor enthusiasts seeking the real thing: a natural way of life. When Stroud told the story from Temagami and realized the knife he found in the forest was actually a Helle knife, a rare opportunity for partnership was forged.

Helle is proud to present the new knife designed by Les Stroud and produced by the dedicated and highly skilled craftsmen at Helle in Holmedal. Forged from the fires of integrity and an unwillingness to compromise beliefs, Les Stroud has given this new knife its name…and of course, it is called The Temagami.

Photos of the new design have yet to be released, but if the photo below is of a real planning session as it appears to be, we can take some guesses at what the knife will look like. From the drawings in front of Stroud, the knife looks have a classic drop-point blade like many of Helle’s knives, with a shaped wood handle, a simple forward guard and possibly a metal pommel and spacers.

There are also some leather sheath templates hanging out on the table and a red-handled firesteel and striker, so the Temagami may have a leather sheath with some survival toys in store.

Well, I won’t go and speculate off promotional photos any further. We’ll bring you some photos and specs as soon as they are available.

In the meantime, What do you think? What do you hope to see from a Les Stroud/Helle collaboration?

from MJC wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

At minimum, I'd rather put money in Stroud's pocket than Grylls's. I'd also hope that they resist the temptation to add serrations to it.

from Bella wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

I'll second that notion MJC.

from prairieghost wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

sorry, but i don't need any "celebrity" to design or endorse my knives. give me a good ol' mora knife, any day.

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Something useful, not flashy, that will get the job done. Adding little extras is nice, but not necessary. And I concur with Bella and MJC in much preferring to support Mr. Stroud over that other yahoo.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

These survival shows are about the biggest crock of poo poo out there! When you plan on taking specially designed equipment out in the woods with you thats called Camping!! The whole point of teaching survival techniques is supposed to prepare people for when they don't have specialized equipment at their disposal?? Not to mention a camera crew! I wouldn't buy anything that has either of those two celebrities names on it let alone watch their fake shows!

-8 Good Comment? | | Report
from Brian W. Thair wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Let's wait and see what Helle cranks out for Stroud. Does a good knife count as "specialized" equipment when compared with a butterknife sharpened on a rock? Of course it does. How silly of me to think that a person should be minimally prepared, if nothing else.
I can appreciate the point that you really are dumb to go out into the wilderness completely unprepared. The solution to the puzzle is to begin with a handful of good tools.
It's taken a while but I now think that Les Stroud is closer to the real deal than anybody else.

from HeidelbergJaeger wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

I like Les Stroud a lot more than I like Bear Grylls. I would certainly like my money going to a man who imparts a lot of common sense and not a lot of bravado during his episodes on TV.

I would second the request to keep serrations off the blade, and if the hints in the photo are true, a magnesium fire striker would be a great add-on. What better tool can you have in the field than a stout knife with a fire starter attached?

I sure wish we had some Survivor Man episodes on our server here in Afghanistan, we're stuck watching Bear Grylls and the Alaska Experiment.

from keepin wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Just fyi when les did "Surviorman" he shot all the film and had no camera crew.

from michaux wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

I'm not sure that a surival knife with a wooden handle would be a good thing. I have a Mora with a synthetic handle and a K-Bar. Mora's web page shows the knife being pounded into a tree and then being pounded in such a manner to cut the tree down. The same can be said about the K-bar. I don't think a wooden handle would be able to hold up to that kind of use or abuse. I also think to lack of serrations would be a good thing. Serrations are only good for cutting bread.

from Trappperman9 wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

The whole point on survival is to teach yes but not to buy good equipment is just dumb I have spent alot of money on survival stuff and it's the best money iv even spent

from dangmissedagain wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

I look at things a little different than most. While I try to be prepared for as much as possible, being fully prepared is impossible. I try to envision tools in every material that surrons me. I think it through every chance I get. I was at a doctors office a few days ago and while I waited I look at everything within view I could use to survive. I saw tools in chairs, tables, and plant stands. Tinder in magazines, carpet, and plants from the plant stands. I try to keep good knifes on hand and it would be great in a survival situation to have a well built knife, but alas, my luck just doesn't always cover me. I would rather retain the know how to make a stone knife than stand about in a store agonizing over what a corporation makes. I feel most of the survival shows fall short on how to make tools in the wilderness. Sure they show you how to wad up leaves and such for tender to make a fire. However, the wad of leaves is not the tool, the fire is the tool. You can only wad up so much stuff to make that tool. Sooner or later you will be forced to cut heavy material for a substantial fire. In that case, if you find yourself without a knife, you're in a world of hurt unless you can make your own tool. Thats why I don't view anything as what it is, I only view things as tools.

from Sharkfin wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

I prefer Les over Bear for one reason. I've never seen Les squeeze water out of an elephant turd! I do think Les' show is more realistic and provides more common sense solutions to a bad situation.

from spiaailtli wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

I wonder why he used a Buck knife on all his shows? Did it really take him that long to figure out Helle is not made by Buck? Tis all about money. I'm not sure staying put and doing drugs until someone comes to pick you up will get you out of trouble. It is kind of a cross you fingers and hope for the best approach to survival. I think the military training used by the other person might get you out of trouble faster.

from ILBassin wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

i definately would give my money to les over bear. Bear takes way to many risk that are unnecessary. les thinks things through and hes also all on his own while bear has a camera crew following him the whole time. they might even help him and just edit those little portions out.

from quinnm107 wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

You have to watch both shows to get real survival skills though. Bear tries to get out, Les sits and waits. The situation dicates which you do, it no one is looking for you, you can't sit and wait. Bear does do some stupid/crazy things, but he catches/kills critters to eat as more of a hunter in the hunter gather skill set, and Les is more of a gather in the hunter gather skill set. So get the best amount of info from them you need both. But both do show stuff that is not always a good thing, you can't drink the fluid from cactus's and drinking water from dung may make you sick causing to you to dehydrate further. And Les in the Sonorian Desert episode with the Picary/Javalina, he was freaking out about a single one. By itself it won't attack you if you are aggressive toward it. Also Les made his came in a wash [dried creek/river] here in AZ, and that is one of the biggest casualty causes in the wilderness here due to flash floods.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

There's no business like show business it's like no business I know!!

from Fox1011 wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

The table in front of the gentlemen holds several Plukko style knives. No surprize since Helle is in the heart of the areas where that pattern originated. What ever they design, I am sure, will be a very good knife. Will it be the ultimate "do all", "end all debate on what is best Knife"? I think not. At least I really hope not. That is really part of the enjoyment of knives. Debate at camp over the best rifle, rifle cartridge, knife, or an endless stream of subjects should never reach a conclusive end. What would be the fun of that? Besides, we are in the area of Opinions. Sure "maybe" my opinion on knives might be better researched, or by din of more experience have more to support it. But, since I believe a part serrated blade is a must on a "good survival knife", my view can mean nothing to the person who just hates serrated or part serrated blades. And that is just fine with me..
Another opinion I agree with is that the survival skills of Les Stroud are much more adaptable to the average outdoorsman. Try to do some of the things Bear does and I am going to kill myself for sure. But, again this is just my opinion.
Ed Fox www.foxqualityknives.com

from elmer f. wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

i also hope the leave off the serrated scrap. on any knife i end up with that has them, the first thing i do is grind them off, then resharpen the entire knife. if i want a saw, i will bring a saw. a knife should be sharp enough to shave with from tip to guard. if they want to roughen up or make the back side of the blade square, specificly for striking a fire starter stick (flint) that would be fine. a Les Stroud signature etched into it would not hurt either. i think a lot of us north americans can relate better to Les than to Grills. the bloak has a pee fetish! Les on the otherhand is straight forward and common sense in his approach. plus, none of the brits showboat antics. both men have serious skills. but Les's fit my way of thinking much better.

from Chris Scerri 2 wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

I just saw the Helle Temagami on The Canadian Outdoor Equipment website. They have it up for pre orders and it looks wicked!!

from bberg7794 wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

I'm hoping my wife orders one of these knives for me for my birthday.

from Blue Ox wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

I'll take my ka-bar over anything used on a tv show.
Been through hell & back with mine.

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

If its any of the ones setting on the table there in front of him they look great. Right now Im working two jobs to make ends meet, so price is always a big thing for me. But I have to say I may put a few extra bucks aside for one of them.

from Gimpergoo wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Im sure it will be a great knife. I will buy one, I own them all!

from MJC wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from prairieghost wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Brian W. Thair wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from HeidelbergJaeger wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from dangmissedagain wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Sharkfin wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

I'll second that notion MJC.

from keepin wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Just fyi when les did "Surviorman" he shot all the film and had no camera crew.

from Trappperman9 wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from spiaailtli wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from quinnm107 wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

There's no business like show business it's like no business I know!!

from Fox1011 wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Ed Fox www.foxqualityknives.com

from elmer f. wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

from Chris Scerri 2 wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from michaux wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from ILBassin wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from bberg7794 wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

I'm hoping my wife orders one of these knives for me for my birthday.

from Blue Ox wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

I'll take my ka-bar over anything used on a tv show.
Been through hell & back with mine.

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

from Gimpergoo wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Im sure it will be a great knife. I will buy one, I own them all!

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago