What Would You Do For a Trophy Buck?

Whitetail 365

December 01, 2010

What Would You Do For a Trophy Buck?

By Dave Hurteau

by Dave Hurteau

A couple weeks ago I posed this hypothetical: While hunting you come upon a locked-up buck that’s dragging around it’s dead former rival. Do you shoot the survivor? Most of you said, heck yeah. So let’s takes this a little further: Suppose the locked-up bucks are mired in a muddy creek, it’s 16 degrees outside, and the only way to get the deer out is to jump waist-deep into near-freezing water and PULL. Oh and incidently, one buck scores in the mid-140s and the other is a gross Booner. Okay, how about now? Would you shoot?

Thirteen-year-old Garrett Weir of Rock Falls, Wisconsin did. He and his 18-year-old brother John spent all day Monday getting the bucks out.

“There was no moving them.” John told the McClatchy-Tribune. “I had to get right in there and push,” he said. The brothers jumped in the creek and 9:30 a.m. and didn’t get into dry clothes until 4:30 p.m. It’s a miracle they didn’t catch their death from hypothermia—but they did take home a couple a giant bucks.

Here’s the full story. What’s the craziest thing you’ve done for a buck? http://gazettextra.com/weblogs/latest-news/2010/nov/27/brothers-day-long...

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I'd maybe try to lasso and pull first.

from ACSLADR wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Regardless of how big each rack one there is just one thing that crosses my mind and that there is going to be a lot of meat in the freezer. Plus there is plenty of beer back at camp to help me thaw out!!!

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

well i thought the rut may be waning off in wisconsin at the start of gun season looks like i may have been right. This is an awesome story and i am pretty sure most hunters will never see this in the field but it is pretty cool to hear about. Congrats to the guys who got to experiance this should make a pretty sweet mount.

from Bella wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Sounds like you shoot, then go get a winch and a logging chain...
I'd do it, I might phone for help, but you betcha, I'd shoot.

from abiddle013 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I'd feel bad if I didn't shoot. I'd rather end the surviving buck's struggle, which would most likely lead to an exhausted demise, quickly.

from tpbesone wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Shoot, never know when you might see a bigger buck again. The work is worth the story.

from finnyk wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Can't shoot a deer int he water here - DNR frowns on that.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

The deer was stuck in mud not water--Shoot!

from mcrumrine wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I agree with Walt, "The deer was stuck in mud not water--Shoot!", and the rack size doesn't matter. Besides, I've crossed creeks of near freezing water in temeratures not much higher with a quarter of an elk on my back before and watched my dad go waist deep in Nov for a duck he shot. Don't hunt if you have no intentions of following through with everything that comes after the shot.

from lamson yankee wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

BANG.....then worry about getting them out.

from stalker24 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

id shoot but get in a canoe or some small boat

from GERG wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

It seems to be a double edged sword. One hand I think it would be a moral obligation to end the misery. On the other hand its nature and shouldnt entervene? By the way I would definatly shoot!!

from GERG wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

The craziest thing Ive done to collect a deer is swim in a creek. If memory serves the air temp was high 20s and water temp(guessin) high 40s?

from buckshot89 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

yes, i would still take the shot and haul the deer out... given i might leave and retrieve a pair of chest waders.

from Bassmasterking wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I would have to shoot them, its almost mandatory that you do. The craziest thing I have done for a deer is sit in a tree stand for hours on end in freezing temps. Isn't everyone a little bit crazy?

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Killed two deer this bow season, usually there is no drama but this year was certainly different! The buck I shot right before dark then realized my son was playing with my flashlight at home. I drove back home retrieved it,drove back to the swamp just in time for a major downpour complete with lightning, couldn't find any blood, so I started doing a grid search in the swamp, two hours later I found him, a big bodied 5 pointer, the next week I shot a doe out of the same blind and she ran just far enough to cross the nearby river about 40 ft across), she was laying on a sand bar about 2 foot from the bank, this time with flashlight in hand I waded (Its now dark) across the river (That first rush of water down your alpha lites just sucks!!) and played tugboat. I draged the buck about 100 yards through the swamp and the doe about 300. Best part is they're both in my freezer and everytime I cook some I wonder how many 48 year olds would have went that Extra Extra??

from Cbass wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Congratulations to the Rock Falls duo! I've heard of this type of luckup before. Decaying flesh is THE worst smell of all time, but at 16 degrees, it may factor less. Either way, I would shoot. Yeah, I'd shoot. Then get a come-along. Then worry about the rotten carcass.

from ACSLADR wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I just re-read my post, i need to work on my grammar. My bad everyone!

from srlarson wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I'll go further...it's your ethical duty to shoot and end the suffering of the animal. Trophy or not...or at a minimum to do everything in your power to free the animal of end it's life....quickly!!

from Bassmasterking wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

-But to answer the question, anything.

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Every buck I've taken has been a trophy in my eyes. I look at all the racks hanging from the garage rafters and can remember the hunt as if it were yesterday. Can't remember what it was the wife asked me to get for her at the store, but now bucks....

from jamesti wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

don't let the animal suffer. shoot.

from dave the bowhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

why not shoot the horns off and let the buck live and get it under fair chase,i know two guys that done the same thing after they chased it around with a pickup with a game warden ,which by the way is illegal to do here ,but they did it then tagged them looks to me like theres two sets of laws, and then set around like they really acomplished some thing,

from abiddle013 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from mcrumrine wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Sounds like you shoot, then go get a winch and a logging chain...
I'd do it, I might phone for help, but you betcha, I'd shoot.

from tpbesone wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

The deer was stuck in mud not water--Shoot!

from lamson yankee wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

BANG.....then worry about getting them out.

from GERG wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from buckshot89 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

don't let the animal suffer. shoot.

from ACSLADR wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from finnyk wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Can't shoot a deer int he water here - DNR frowns on that.

from Bassmasterking wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from Cbass wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from srlarson wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I'd maybe try to lasso and pull first.

from stalker24 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

id shoot but get in a canoe or some small boat

from GERG wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from ACSLADR wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I just re-read my post, i need to work on my grammar. My bad everyone!

from Bassmasterking wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

-But to answer the question, anything.

from dave the bowhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago