Mountain Lions Moving Into Missouri?

Field Notes

January 05, 2011

Mountain Lions Moving Into Missouri?

By Chad Love

--Chad Love

We know about mountain lions in Kansas so I guess it stands to reason they wouldn't stop at the border...

From this story on the Maryville Daily Forum:
Conservation officials say a mountain lion killed by a cattleman in Ray County was a young male that showed no sign of having been held in captivity. Conservation Agent Tammy Pierson said Bob Littleton went to one of his pastures Sunday night after coon hounds treed a mountain lion where his cattle were grazing. He killed the mountain lion with a shot to the head from a .22-cal. rifle. Littleton reported the incident as required by law. Pierson collected the mountain lion this morning and sent it to the Missouri Department of Conservation Resource Science Center in Columbia, where resource scientists examined it this afternoon

Isolated incident or further proof big cats are slowly returning throughout their former range?

from 007 wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

I am always amazed (amused) at the state employed experts who state beyond the shadow of a doubt that "they do not exist in this state". Are we so full of ourselves that we presume to know everything that takes place in creation outside of our own little baliwick? WV says they don't exist there either but for some strange reason they're listed as fully protected in the game laws, and I've seen two in my lifetime. Not saying they were residents, but they were there just the same.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

Dog-gonnit!!! Didn't that bunch of rubes in Kansas teach them "lions" to read. I just know that the State of Misery would NOT have failed to put signs along the border with Kansas that reads: "No Mountain Lions Allowed"!!

Boy, Kansas! You in biiiiig trouble now, Mister!

Bubba

from stalker24 wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

in indiana the dnr says there arnt cougars but their protected and there r lots of pics of them.

from tygar wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

Same thing in Southwestern Wisconsin. Rumors and sightings of a cougar as well as injured horses and sheep with claw and bite marks on them. DNR still denies as no "physical" evidence has yet to be found.

from REKER wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

It's a shame it had to be killed. Being that it was just doing what it does naturally. Anyways, they are said to be non-existant here in Virginia, too... however, i've seen two while on a hike in part of SNP's designated wilderness area.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from jbird wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

I live in Missouri, and NO I do not think it's an isolated incident at all. There have been 12 CONFIRMED mountain lion sightings in Missouri in the past 15 years, and believe me, there is alot of BS involved in getting a sighting "confirmed". For every documented sighting, there are dozens that most folks never hear about. They're here, maybe not in great numbers, but here none the less.

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

FirstBubba, jbird; good posts. Early on most sightings were caged cats that got out or released. The ones that have been sighted the last ten years are wild ones expanding to new territory. It only makes sense with abundant food.
I agree with firstbubba, damn you Kansas! lol

from secretsprings wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Bummer! Too bad they had to kill him. I've been living with several on my propety for over forty years! No issues yet! I do however always carry my Colt. We respect each other,and live together. Somehow its worked!

from Jill G. wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

12th confirmed one since 1994 in MO. Too bad it had to go.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

Boy, Kansas! You in biiiiig trouble now, Mister!

Bubba

from jbird wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

I agree with firstbubba, damn you Kansas! lol

from 007 wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

from stalker24 wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

from tygar wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

from secretsprings wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from Jill G. wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

12th confirmed one since 1994 in MO. Too bad it had to go.

from REKER wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago