SHOT Show 2011: Ram's Outdoorsman Pickup

The Gun Nuts

January 18, 2011

SHOT Show 2011: Ram's Outdoorsman Pickup

By Phil Bourjaily

At the pre-SHOT Shooting day we saw lots of guns, most of them black, and tactical. We'll have more video from that event soon but in the meantime, here's a look at Ram's Outdoorsman pickup which has some cool features like locking gun storage in the sides of the bed. Forgive the audio, which is a little out of synch, but we wanted to get this up and start our SHOT coverage right away.

from NHshtr wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

A lot of nice features. I test drove a RAM in early 2010 and it rode very well.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

At 1895 dollars, the Ram box isn't that special- since there are plenty of aftermarket boxing options out there that are less expensive and more versatile, but what do I know, I am just an Arkansan that drives the most popular work truck series out there the Ford F-series and if you haven't been paying attention Ford under the leadership of Alan Mulally is producing top notch vehicles that deserve a look from proudest of fans of the Gov't owned "other guys" auto companies. They even have vans for Phil and all his smokepoles.

from db270 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I hope they continue this line until I can actually afford one...

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I can see dodge making good money off the parts for those boxes when the criminals find out what they are for and start busting into them.

from Larry Chapin wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

i've been a ford man all my like, dodge is gettin close, i will seriously look at this truck.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

with it being just me and Dog, i have plenty of room in my dodge, but i like the idea. ford won't be far behind.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I ain't had to push my Chevy yet....

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I saw it at the American Farm Bureau Convention in Atlanta. Nice vehicle but it costs more than my first house! The price on new trucks border on the insane these days.

from okduckhunter wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I've heard a lot of concern about the gun box and attempted break-ins since this truck was introduced. The gun box will no more make a criminal want to break in than the NRA or Browning decal on your current truck. Think about it.

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Never had much luck with Chrysler products (blown head gaskets, etc), also very expensive. If I were in the market for a truck it would be a Toyota, they just don't break like the others. Sorry but my Chevy blew an engine at 125K miles and the Fords had brake problems. We have no great love for Japan but never had any trouble with a Toyota. That is why I drive a 4 door Tundra.

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I like the extended cab with four doors, and that hidden compartment under the floor mat in the back.

from Happy Myles wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I have been afraid to admit this, but a week ago Sunday at the Dallas Safari Club Convention I won one of these swanky rigs with the purchase of one $25 raffle ticket. Buckhunter was there, claims he is my lucky charm.

from Happy Myles wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

When they called to inform me of my luck I thought it was a practical joke, did not remember even buying the ticket. No I had not had too much to drink, but as I recall the young lady selling the tickets was very attractive.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Don't like the truck, but like the bed options.

Easy Sir Phil, they might let you field test it and take it home!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Happy Lightening does strike! Enjoy!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Happy Myles crack me up!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Did I hear a Dillon Aero: M134 Gatling Gun in the background? Something went BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP!

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Subject: Government motors truck

Chevy Truck

I stopped by the Chevrolet Dealership yesterday, for a look at the new Silverado 1500 pickup.
Just for fun, I took it out for a test drive. I wanted to sense that new "feel" before they become
extinct...
The salesman (wearing an Obama "change" lapel pin) sat in the passenger seat describing
the truck and all its "wonderful" options. The seats were of particular interest. He explained
that the seats directed warm air to your butt in the winter and directed cool air to your butt in
the summer heat. Feeling like messing with his mind, I mentioned that this must be a
Republican truck.
Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it
were a Democrat truck, The seats would blow smoke up your tuches year-round.
I had to walk back to the dealership... Damn guy had no sense of humor.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Moishe just hit the 2000 mile on my 2011 HD2500 Z-71 4x4 Crew Cab. What I didn't like about my 2005 this truck has it power, gears and turning radius. As for what I did like about the 2005, for the 2011 not dar, stupid lab coat guys!

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Happy Myles, good things happen to good people. You did a nice thing for a kid you never met. Maybe this is a form of payback from the Allmighty.

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Happy Miles,
Good for you, I'm genuinely happy.

from ckRich wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Congrats Happy, I'm sure you will put it to good use.

from terminousphisch wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

My 75 year old uncle has a 4x4 model... I have an '02 silverado:)

from db270 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I hope they continue this line until I can actually afford one...

from Happy Myles wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I ain't had to push my Chevy yet....

from NHshtr wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

A lot of nice features. I test drove a RAM in early 2010 and it rode very well.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Larry Chapin wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from okduckhunter wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Subject: Government motors truck

Chevy Truck

extinct...
Republican truck.
were a Democrat truck, The seats would blow smoke up your tuches year-round.
I had to walk back to the dealership... Damn guy had no sense of humor.

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Happy Miles,
Good for you, I'm genuinely happy.

from ckRich wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Congrats Happy, I'm sure you will put it to good use.

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Don't like the truck, but like the bed options.

Easy Sir Phil, they might let you field test it and take it home!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Happy Lightening does strike! Enjoy!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Happy Myles crack me up!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from terminousphisch wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

My 75 year old uncle has a 4x4 model... I have an '02 silverado:)