Malaysian Woman Saves Husband From Tiger With Soup Ladle

Field Notes

February 23, 2011

Malaysian Woman Saves Husband From Tiger With Soup Ladle

By Chad Love

--Chad Love

So say you're out squirrel hunting and you suddenly find yourself being attacked by a tiger (Hey, it could happen. Invasive species are becoming a real problem). What do you do? If you're American you'd probably shoot the tiger with your .22, which would only enrage the tiger and cause him to eat even more of you than he originally planned. But in Malaysia what you need is a wife. A very angry wife. With a soup ladle.

From this story on the (I kid you not) Weird Asia News website:
We have all heard that old expression about being “saved by the bell,” but how many of us can claim to have been saved by an angry woman and a soup ladle? Such is the weird tale of a Malaysian wife who saved her husband from the jaws of certain death by beating a tiger over the head with a soup ladle! Tambun Dedin, aged 60, was hunting squirrels in the forest near his home in northern Malaysia when he came face to face with the deadly cat that immediately pounced on him.

“’I was trailing a squirrel and crouched to shoot it with my blowpipe when I saw the tiger… I tried to escape by climbing up a tree, but the tiger caught up with me and dragged me down. I was terrified and I used all my strength to punch the animal in the face, but it would not budge…. I had to wrestle with it to keep its jaws away from me, and it would have clawed me to death if my wife had not arrived,” said Tambun. But the tiger never had to deal with Han Besau, Tambun’s 55-year-old wife, who heard her husband’s screams and came running and yelling to the rescue, brandishing a wooden spoon she had been using to cook soup. She bashed the tiger over the head, causing it to leave the scene and deal with more manageable and less angry prey.Tambun’s village is so remote that he had to wait more than 10 hours for help to arrive before he could be taken to the nearest hospital. He is currently recovering from an operation on the many lacerations to his face and legs. The residents of his village, which is located some 160 miles north of Kuala Lumpur, are hailing his wife as a heroine.

So there you go. If it's good enough for tigers then it's good enough for bears, right? Who needs a dangerous game rifle or a firearm for that Alaskan fishing trip? Just grab your wife's soup ladle...

from VAturkeyhunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Bear Grylls is now coming out with a new soup ladle..

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

All my wife would have to do is give that cat the same look she gives me once in awhile and he would have left of his own accord.

from Happy Myles wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Wasn't there a joke on here a while back close to this experience? During an African safari one of the camp helpers came running to the campfire exclaiming the bwana' s wife was being stalked by two lion! The client waved him off saying "those cats got themselves into that mess, let them get out of it".

from Dbetzner wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

He's just lucky he wasn't named Francis Macumber, or it may have been a very short and happy life indeed...

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

or you could always take your mother in law with you.

from MaxPower wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

We got some wicked senses of humor in here. Any married man can appreciate what DSM, Happy and Jamesti posted.

I wonder if Jim Corbett is embarrassed by this story. This little Malasian lady doesn't need a rifle, just a ladle.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

My wife would watch and wait to collect my dead money!

from country road wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

We should get up a soup ladle blog and discuss the relative effectiveness of wooden vs. metal ladles and compare velocities of blows from long handled ladles. Should you hit the tiger with the leading edge or the rounded back? Of course, I'm not sure if my wife even knows what a soup ladle is. Her favorite cooking utensil is the telephone.

from rock rat wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I don't like tigers or leopards.

from MLH wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Have to wonder what kind of soup she was mixing with that ladle.

from davycrockettfv wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Country Road, it really depends on what grain of ladle you are using. Wonder what kind of scope you should mount...

from Dbetzner wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

davycrockettfv,I believe that most soup ladles are best left with open sights, but i'm a soup ladle purist.

from Bella wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

That old Malay Lady probably has the equivalent of a "black belt" in soup ladle! But then how many years did she have that ladle in her hand, she likely knows its balance point and her arm swings that ladle like a natural extension of the hand...Then there is the ferocity inherent in old ladies who are roused beyond the state of self preservation. Old girls on a tear can be fearsome! Didja see on the news where that old arthritic lady found three guys trying to break into a business and became so incensed at their behavior that she assaulted them with her handbag! It was on the security cam and no doubt is on U tube, It was Amazing! Little 5 foot grandma taking on 3 masked guys with a purse and just mowing 'em down. Made me wonder, for one what the heck she had in there and for another, if I need a bigger handbag!
Old ladies, don't get 'em riled, the female of the species is more deadly than the male!

from fisher girl wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Good story!

from PigHunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I'd put my money on my wife over the cat any day. She is one dangerous lady when she's angry and has a weapon...

from VAturkeyhunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Bear Grylls is now coming out with a new soup ladle..

from Happy Myles wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from MaxPower wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from country road wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Have to wonder what kind of soup she was mixing with that ladle.

from Dbetzner wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Dbetzner wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

or you could always take your mother in law with you.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

My wife would watch and wait to collect my dead money!

from rock rat wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I don't like tigers or leopards.

from davycrockettfv wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago