Sheds From Famous Excelsior Video Buck are Minnesota State Record

Whitetail 365

February 23, 2011

Sheds From Famous Excelsior Video Buck are Minnesota State Record

By Scott Bestul

Last fall, we posted video of a huge whitetail filmed by Max Woelm, a friend of mine from Excelsior, Minnesota. The footage wasn’t top-notch, but there was no mistaking the size of the buck; he was a giant, world-class deer that looked to be a clean typical. Not long after we made that post, the video went semi-viral, and deer hunters across the country marveled at this beautiful buck.

But the story doesn’t end there. Jay Miller, another resident of Excelsior, had been monitoring the buck via trail cameras through the month of Jannuary. On February 7th, Miller spotted the monster—this time in person—sporting only the left side of his massive rack. Miller began his hunt for the right antler the next day, eventually finding the 6-point side on February 9th. The left side was recovered by Miller about a quarter mile away.

According to measurers from the North American Shed Hunting Club, Miller’s matched set netted 175-0/8”, setting a state record for typical shed antlers (the right side scored 91-3/8”, the left antler 89-5/8”). If entered in the NASHC book, the antlers would qualify as the 6th-largest set of typicals ever recorded in the NASHC record book. Add the spread, and this rack would be well into the 190s. Stay tuned to Whitetail 365, where we hope to keep tabs on this buck next summer and fall.

from jvdeerhunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

What a magnificient animal. Hope he bred plenty of does this past fall. Congratulations on finding the sheds!!

from Whackdaddy wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Holy smokes. What a deer. And an awesome job by the man to find both sides – any of us who've sought the sheds off a particular buck know the difficulty of that feat.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Impressive.

from LAKEM0NSTER85 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Holy shnikeeees!! Just hunting for those sheds would be exciting; this fall he'll give someone a heart attack!

from ckRich wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

What an awesome buck. I hope we get to see what he looks like this coming season.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

now that the word is out, that buck doesn't stand a chance at making it through another season!

from VAHunter540 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

He is certainly a magnificent deer; I hope that if he falls it goes to someone who has earned it, not like that great 8pt that was poached in Goodhue MN. It would be great if we got to keep up with this buck for a few years and watch him grow and hear the stories from the hunters chasing him.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Ooops the word is out, hunters will be trying to lease backyards in Elcelisor Mn. Excuse me sir but I'll pay you 500.00 to put a treestand on the top of your birdfeeder!

from NHshtr wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

What an excellent buck! Hope he has plenty of progeny out there!

Think Excelsior, MN will be become the Whitetail Mecca for 2011?

from antlercrazy wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

If I found sheds like that I would sell them. They'd be worth a lot of money.

from Jeremys wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

antlers are on the ground here in missouri, found one last night. nothing close to this size though.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

wow he was very uniform and symmetrical minus the uneven number of points no stickers or crazy bends rare for so much antler in my opinion.

from Jim Berardi wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

All I can say is someone better keep tight lipped about the exact location of this GIANT or this area will be overrun with hunters & maybe even poachers(hope not) next Fall! 200" inch typicals are so so rare in the wild- I hope/pray an honest young hunter gets to hang his tag on that bruiser next year!

from 2Poppa wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Magnificent Creature!
I can see why the camera was shaking, even then, Max did a good job just to get the 2-minutes! One heck of a Genetic Giant.

from samcook wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Nice photo of the sheds, Scott. Wondering where you got it. It's the photo I shot of Jay, and I don't recall giving permission to use it.
Sam Cook

from JLAT wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Congrats to Jay on finding a truly once in a life time set of sheds. From what I've heard this deer lives in a non-hunting area and for all you non-believers out there the more pics and video of this deer that becomes public the safer he is !! It will be really tough for anyone to poach this deer and then hope to show it off to anyone. Personally I hope to see this deer live to a ripe old age allowing us to view his new set of jaw dropping horns every year. In case you all are wondering, no I am not a Bunny Hugger ! If this deer lived anywhere near a property I have permission to hunt believe me I would spend every waking minute possible in a tree in the best funnel on that farm !!! P.S. If anyone else has video footage or still photos of this deer I would highly encourage you to make them public by either sending them to this site or your local papers or magazines. It would only help to keep him safe.

from pla10 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Wow, great buck, look forward to hearing any updates.

from bigbo95 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Good night i wish I had seen that deer on my property last season.

from maaktwo wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

I live about 300 yards from where these sheds were found on a separate wetland. Last December I looked across a 100 yards of slew and saw a HUGE animal stand up. He looked like a cow he was so big. Then I saw the rack and knew I was seeing a once in a lifetime buck. He had to back out of the brush because his rack was tangled in the small trees above his head. He ended up in this strip of woods chasing a doe the night before. I walked to within 40 yerds of him before he ambled off. This is a non hunting area, hopefully these small cities don't start citizen bow hunting so I don't have to watch him run by with an arrow stuck in his butt. I'm going to go ask the shed man if he's seen him this summer. His rack should be developing as we speak. There's one busy road he has to cross when he's on the move. My daughter watched 23 deer run in front of her car on the way to school last fall. We saw two ten points with broken legs and half a dozen injured does last winter. Hopefully no poachers wet dream this beautiful buck.

from jameshammond wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Awesome Buck there matey i wonder if theres any others on the trail, keep an eye on what i call firetrap hitters people who try to sneak out early.

Great pic keep'em coming

from jvdeerhunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Whackdaddy wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Jim Berardi wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Impressive.

from LAKEM0NSTER85 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from NHshtr wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

What an excellent buck! Hope he has plenty of progeny out there!

Think Excelsior, MN will be become the Whitetail Mecca for 2011?

from antlercrazy wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

If I found sheds like that I would sell them. They'd be worth a lot of money.

from Jeremys wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Magnificent Creature!

from samcook wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Sam Cook

from JLAT wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from pla10 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Wow, great buck, look forward to hearing any updates.

from bigbo95 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Good night i wish I had seen that deer on my property last season.

from maaktwo wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago