Did That Bounce Off? Nope. It Stuck

The Lateral Line

June 11, 2013

Did That Bounce Off? Nope. It Stuck

By Joe Cermele

Since I have been fishing, I have had hooks past the barb in the following places: big toe, wrist, both thumbs, thigh, shoulder, elbow, every finger, neck, heel, and calf. But never have I had one in the face...until a few weeks ago.

Now, I'm not going to give you the entire backstory, because the gentleman who was casting the streamer was mortified I think, and I like him way too much to reveal his name. The way I look at it, I didn't lose an eye and hey, if you cast sink tips and big bugs around on drift boats long enough, eventually dog poop happens. No big deal. As for the removal, you can always tell when a guide is well-versed in the line-pull method, because they say "on the count of 3," but they yank on the "1." Who else has caught one in the face?

from TM wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

Ouch. Important safety tip, always wear sunglasses when casting.

from TM wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

Ouch. Important safety tip, always wear sunglasses when casting.

from themadflyfisher wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

Man, you're lucky that didn't catch you in the eye!
Luckly I've never been hooked in the face. Like you I've been hooked almost everywhere else but the closest I've come to the face was in the brim of my hat.
Fishing with a friend, we were working up a stream and we stopped so he could hit a little run real quick on like his third cast I had made my way behind him and he smacked me in the face with his "thingamabobber" and his scud stuck the in the brim of my hat.

from buckhunter wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

I'd wear it around for a couple days just to show-off.

from SMC1986 wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

Yowzas that looks like a bad way to go fishing. So how long did you leave that fashion statement in there?

from Levi Banks wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

Reeling in an Agila I notice it's headed straight for a stump, I speed up and raise the rod trying to get it over before getting hung up, it gets hung up enough to sling shot right back at me. It hits me right in the forehead below my hat and above my glasses. Luckily none of the hooks even went in to the barb, but it did hang there for a minute while I tried to figure out if I should pull it out or head home. I pulled it out and pressed my hand on there to stop the bleeding then continued to fish. I figured I was due a big one, but of course I caught nothing.

from Koldkut wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

I've hit myself with my fair share while performing the classic chuck and duck, but one once have I buried a fly in the neck, a size 16 dry, and while on my lunch break and while I didn't have the right stuff to perform removal. The lady at the mcdonalds drive thru gave me some weird looks and eyed it, but said nothing and the guys at work got a good laugh from it.

from LostLure wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

I've never hooked my self in the face, but I've had more than my fair share just nick my ear as it shot by. I did hook my dog once. He jumped up and snatched my lure on my back cast and took the entire rear treble hook of a rapala in the lip.

from sgtsly wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

I'm not ashamed to say it. I've taken a spinnerbait to the ol' fourth point of contact. Just give me a pair of pliers and I'll be back in ten.

from J11B wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

I've never taken one to the face. I did manage to put two of the three treble hooks from a spinner through the back of my arm though, barbs and all. Best part was that it was Easter Sunday and I was just wasting some time in the pond behind the house before dinner. Fortunately there was a fisherman who happened to be a dentist present and he was able to perform a quick surgery. Unfortunately, the surgery included cutting a silver dollar size hole out of the dress shirt I was wearing.

from bsheahan1229 wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

My first hook past the barb was in the scalp.

from Tim Platt wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

My son hooked himself in the back of the head while casting with an 1/8th ounce Rooster Tail. He was probably 7 or 8.

He was trying to get it out and pulling it so hard that his skin was at least an inch and a half away from his head when I got to where he was. I tried everything and took him home and even mom couldn't get it out. It was seriously in his head.

We took him to the doctor. All these young punk doctors worked on it for 30 or 40 minutes and couldn't get it out either. Finally they called old doc so and so and he told them about "the line pull method". It is a valuable tool. Worked for us. Works better than forceps, tweezers, and scalpels. I can testify to that.

from Chewylouie wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

My little brother. That one was my fault. He got hooked in the nose.

from baconboy206 wrote 44 weeks 4 days ago

caught a treble above my right ear a few years ago, had to have the doc take it out as it had slid in between the skull and skin farther up and my buddy couldnt poke it back out to cut the barb off

from Woods Walker wrote 44 weeks 4 days ago

This looks better than almost all of the facial and body jewelery I have seen lately! Wear it when you get back to an urban area and you might open up a whole new market for those of us who tie flies in producing body jewelry.

from tkbone wrote 44 weeks 4 days ago

Took a Rooster Tail to the back of the neck when I was a teenager. Brother and I were wading in a trout stream next to each other, he slips and falls with about 2 feet of line out and the lure dangling and digs one of the 3 hooks in good. We both thought it was cool - I'm glad "Jackass" was not around then or we would have been trying to reenact to see if I could hook him the same way. We walked 2 miles back home and Grandpa pushed it through and cut the hook off.

from 357 wrote 44 weeks 3 days ago

looks good on ya

from haverodwilltravel wrote 44 weeks 14 hours ago

TM is dead on. No fisherman should ever suit up without glasses and a hat.
When I was younger I got another's back cast under the chin on a mackerel boat. Fortunately, my hand shot out and caught the anglers rod.

from flyfisher208 wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

Hmm.. why are you fishing with barbs?

from TM wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

Ouch. Important safety tip, always wear sunglasses when casting.

from Tim Platt wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

from Woods Walker wrote 44 weeks 4 days ago

from TM wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

Ouch. Important safety tip, always wear sunglasses when casting.

from themadflyfisher wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

Man, you're lucky that didn't catch you in the eye!

from buckhunter wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

I'd wear it around for a couple days just to show-off.

from SMC1986 wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

from Levi Banks wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

from Koldkut wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

from LostLure wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

from sgtsly wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

from J11B wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

from bsheahan1229 wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

My first hook past the barb was in the scalp.

from Chewylouie wrote 44 weeks 5 days ago

My little brother. That one was my fault. He got hooked in the nose.

from baconboy206 wrote 44 weeks 4 days ago

from tkbone wrote 44 weeks 4 days ago

from 357 wrote 44 weeks 3 days ago

looks good on ya

from haverodwilltravel wrote 44 weeks 14 hours ago

TM is dead on. No fisherman should ever suit up without glasses and a hat.

from flyfisher208 wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

Hmm.. why are you fishing with barbs?