Working On The (Summer) Night Moves

The Lateral Line

July 31, 2013

Working On The (Summer) Night Moves

By Joe Cermele

While I can't speak for the rest of the country, here in the Northeast we're being treated to a delightful summer cool-down. The humidity has dropped out, the temps aren't climbing much above 80, and we haven't been plagued by rain. That means the local rivers are looking good, and the lack of heat has kicked on the local smallie action. That's terrific, because one of my favorite things to do this time of year is float the Delaware for bass in the dark. You don't always hammer them, but for whatever reason, I think a topwater smash you only hear is a bit more exciting than one you see at noon.

Night fishing for bass, be it largemouths or smallmouths, is one of those games that everyone seems to know is viable and productive, yet I hear very little about anglers actually putting it into practice. I'm not talking about the "magic hour" in the evening either; I mean true can't-see-your-hand- dark. The bass ponds where I live are so pressured this time of year, I won't even think about hitting any of them during daylight hours. But at midnight, after the wary fish have had time to mellow out, suddenly they get stupid again.

Likewise, I've launched my raft at 10 o'clock before and floated the river into the early morning hours. No competition. No jet skis. Not only can the fishing be excellent, but rowing in the dark adds a sense of adventure to even the most familiar waters. So how many of you get out after "The Late Show" this time of year to hunt bass? If you don't, you should.

from ejunk wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

90% of my fishing these days is after my kids and/or wife go to bed. I might manage a little fishing in daylight with the long days, but for the most part it's after dark. I've grown to really love it.

from rjw wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

Nothing like it, just remember this, do not set the hook until you feel the fish, ouch!

from chuckles wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

Topwater bass at night is one of the better things in life.

from Tom-Tom wrote 37 weeks 10 hours ago

Our local community lakes are off-limits after 10pm per the city fathers unless you are camping as well. That really limits the competition. Lure selection is easy as its either a black jitterbug or a black jig and eel. I got hooked on night fishing on Lake Jackson (Tallahassee, FL) in the early 70's after meeting an angler with a 12, 12.5 and 14.5, all on a musky size black jitterbug. I still tie on the large jitterbug now and then and have taken bass up to 6# but have had some awesome hits.

from chuckles wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago

Topwater bass at night is one of the better things in life.

from ejunk wrote 37 weeks 1 day ago