And The Darwin Award For Catch-and-Release Goes To...

The Lateral Line

August 14, 2013

And The Darwin Award For Catch-and-Release Goes To...

By Joe Cermele

...this guy. There are many rules associated with proper catch-and-release techniques, which vary by species, tackle, and so on. But there is one catch-and-release rule that applies to every fish in every situation across the board: remove the hook before you turn that trophy loose.

from rjw wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

That's funny. Glad he got the rod back, for the fishes sake.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

Am I the only one not fishing hammered?

from DSMbirddog wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

Good Gawd a'mighty! Nuclear Fisher, I think we must be about the only ones not fishing hammered.

from Michael Jager wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

Even when hammered I still take the hook out.

from TLF Nevada wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

I am sure glad I quit drinking.

from buzzhayes wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

That's funny. We lost a rod like that surf fishing The Outer Banks one time.

from Retired Chief wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

What a dumba$$. "Thish ish a nishe fish!"

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Tigerbeetle wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

I think anybody who has made a life out of fishing has lost one or more rods to a fish. I lost a favorite custom rod and a 1970 red Abu Garcia reel to a catfish on Lake Oconee several years ago. It happens. I did retrieve a rod and Millionaire Daiwa reel jerked out of my boat behind Cape Lookout (NC) one time by quick action with a spinning rod with a 4 oz. spoon on it by casting across the line. I landed the pesky blue fish as well as getting my rod back. Win some, loose some. ;-)

from Mikeg50 wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

retired chief,

Have you not seen the Bill Dance Blooper videos? The guy can't talk clearly because he has something in his teeth, a cigarette maybe? You can also hear the comment, "only took one hook out". I could be wrong, but I don't believe the guy is "hammered". His reactions are way too fast and accurate retrieving the rod. The title "darwin award" is too derogatory. It's fun to tease people to their face - not to denigrate as if we don't make mistakes ourselves. Some come on guys - give him a break. He has provided us entertainment.

from jusdane wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

For sure another example of ... can't fix stupid!

from Gary Devine wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

The fisherman moved pretty fast for somebody being hammered.

That is a nice king salmon.

from FSU70 wrote 34 weeks 5 days ago

Funny video. Don't think the guy was hammered just excited. Big difference but often the same results. Nice fish and glad he decided to let it go to swim another day. That's good breeding stock.

from FSU70 wrote 34 weeks 5 days ago

from rjw wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

That's funny. Glad he got the rod back, for the fishes sake.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

Am I the only one not fishing hammered?

from Michael Jager wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

Even when hammered I still take the hook out.

from Mikeg50 wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

retired chief,

from jusdane wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

For sure another example of ... can't fix stupid!

from Gary Devine wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

The fisherman moved pretty fast for somebody being hammered.

That is a nice king salmon.

from DSMbirddog wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

from TLF Nevada wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

I am sure glad I quit drinking.

from buzzhayes wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

That's funny. We lost a rod like that surf fishing The Outer Banks one time.

from Tigerbeetle wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

from FSU70 wrote 34 weeks 5 days ago

from FSU70 wrote 34 weeks 5 days ago

from Retired Chief wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

What a dumba$$. "Thish ish a nishe fish!"

-2 Good Comment? | | Report