A Gator in My Favorite Carp Pond? The Locals Think So

The Lateral Line

August 22, 2013

A Gator in My Favorite Carp Pond? The Locals Think So

By Joe Cermele

The other day I got an email from a buddy informing me that my favorite, super-secret local carp pond made the newspaper because it was fenced off after alleged sightings of a three-foot alligator. Now, you don't need to know exactly where my favorite, super-secret local carp pond is so I'm not going to give crazy location details, but I will tell you that the establishment that owns the property took the sightings seriously enough to hire a trained gator wrangler who spent a day and a night trying to capture the beast. This is a very small, very shallow pond with not a lot of places to hide. Said wrangler came up empty and found no evidence of a gator, nor has anyone with the authority to make an official statement seen the gator. So I took matters into my own hands.

Luckily, I found all my carp swimming around as happy as they could be. The article said once the fence was removed, warning signs were put up. I didn't see any, and a security guard told me no such signs ever existed. What I did find was a long length of cable tied to one of the trees with a big, nasty saltwater grade hook attached to the other end. Was it left by the professional gator wrangler? Doubtful. The fact that the heavy wire was attached to the hook with a few overhand knots (which wouldn't have held a bluegill let alone a gator) tells me this is the work of a neighborhood "Swamp People" wanna-be that read the story after a few too many PBRs.

Is it possible that there really was a gator? Sure. Nitwits dump overgrown pet gators all the time, even here in Pennsylvania. But I find it much more likely that some dog-walker or duck-feeder saw one of the many big snapping turtles cruising, or a log floating, and got all panicked as non-outdoor folks tend to do. Still, have a fishing spot potential ruined by an alligator is a new one for me, especially  in these parts.

from jacksjb wrote 34 weeks 2 days ago

Hah! Fishing spot ruined by a little 3 foot gator. I grew up fishing with my dad on the Alabama river in far south Alabama (Camden; William Dannely Reservoir). We once had a gator slide off the bank that was every bit as long as our 15' Terry Bass boat. I once caught a 5lb bass as I tried to hit a swimming gator with a buzzbait. Durn Yankees!

from stick500 wrote 34 weeks 2 days ago

Joe, think of fun you could have if there was a gator in there. You could catch a small carp and tie him on your line (no hook) and work him like a topwater across the pond and fight the gator for a bit before he snaps the line!
That's what I'd be doing. BTW I had a pet gator (caiman) who grew from 9" to 3 feet. I had to eventually give him back to the pet store where he became a marketing tool in the front window!

from buckhunter wrote 34 weeks 2 days ago

Geez, Joe. Can't you recognize a triple-overhand-thru-the-loop-double-cinch-redneck-wire-knot when you see one?

from Tom-Tom wrote 34 weeks 1 day ago

In rural Ochtibeha County, Mississippi, a gator in your favorite lake was a problem. Once they associated humans with fish on a stringer, they became a real threat. After eating all of the small beavers, turtles and snakes, they usually moved on. Posting a sign that read "Beware of the Gator" kept the local trespassers away. In one incident at an 15 acre lake birdered by homes, a 12+ ft. gator was shot by a resident that had lost a pet. I found where it had crawled to die while shed hunting the timber. That was a moment that I won't soon forget.

from barefootwt wrote 34 weeks 1 day ago

We had a 6 ft gator in our creek about 5 years ago in Feb! Fish and boat commission wasn't trained to deal with a gator and sent to Fl. for help with it! Never heard of gators in Pa until I moved up here in Allentown!

from barefootwt wrote 34 weeks 1 day ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 33 weeks 4 days ago

Choot'em Joe! Choot'em!

from gator fan 2017 wrote 33 weeks 3 days ago

A gator in a lake or river is commonplace in the south!

from haverodwilltravel wrote 33 weeks 3 days ago

I think the Snapping Turtle idea makes the most sense. Then again some moron may have let their pet gator go free. Either way the winter ought to straighten things out, if it doesn't...buckshot will.

from buckhunter wrote 34 weeks 2 days ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 33 weeks 4 days ago

Choot'em Joe! Choot'em!

from jacksjb wrote 34 weeks 2 days ago

from stick500 wrote 34 weeks 2 days ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 34 weeks 1 day ago

from barefootwt wrote 34 weeks 1 day ago

from barefootwt wrote 34 weeks 1 day ago

from gator fan 2017 wrote 33 weeks 3 days ago

A gator in a lake or river is commonplace in the south!

from haverodwilltravel wrote 33 weeks 3 days ago