New Hook Shots: West Virginia Whitewater Smallmouths

The Lateral Line

September 10, 2013

New Hook Shots: West Virginia Whitewater Smallmouths

By Joe Cermele

What do you get when you put a Yankee and two West Virginia local boys—one of which just goes by "Redneck"—in a raft and send them down the New River? A good mix of Southern-style life lessons, some fart jokes, a few hairy moments in churning whitewater, and loads of gorgeous smallmouth bass. As a moving water bronzeback addict, the New has been on my bucket list for a while, and it didn't fail to impress with numbers of bass. In my opinion, a float like this is summer fishing at it's finest. Throw in company that keeps you constantly laughing or shaking your head, and you've got a "Hook Shots" episode. If any of you are ever headed to the New, do yourself a favor a book Larry "Redneck" Nibert to float you. No matter what happens, it'll be a trip you'll never forget. Enjoy the show.

from themadflyfisher wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

Was starting to wonder when the next episode was coming.

Looked like a blast! Good watch as always.

from Andrew Bosway wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

Was down there this past weekend throwing flies for smallies on the Gauley - awesome part of the country and Fayetteville is a great place to base camp! Thanks to the guys over at Cantrell Rafting for a fun morning of class 5 action too!

from Joe_Cermele wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks Mad...been a crazy summer with scheduling and weather. All part of the game, but you can expect them to come a lot faster for the rest of the season. Got some cool stuff lined up for the fall

from nuclear_fisher wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

You are speaking my language on this one! Hands down without question, late summer/early fall river smallie fishing is my favorite. Have to say I'm a bit surprised to see all those green grubs with how churned up that water was. I probably would have been slinging white, chartreuse or maybe even red/orange first. Great episode as always.

from Creek Chub wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

It's these simple ones that really get me excited. That being said I wouldn't mind seeing you put some work in on a mako or bluefin, maybe even a surf casting one around NY/NJ. Excellent job. I mean you have an excellent job. Job well done on filming too...

from Joe_Cermele wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

stayed tuned Creek Chub...stay tuned

from Koldkut wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

Love the last 10 seconds of this one, brings back memories. I need to catch more smallies...

from -Bob wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

OMG – my colleague and I were on a business trip a few years back, driving on the interstate from Pennsy down to Beckley, WV.

We popped out of the woods on the north side of the New River and suddenly found ourselves 800 FEET IN THE AIR over the Gorge, on that lovely arch bridge seen in the opening minutes.

I nearly wet my pants.

from Micropterus24 wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

Not many things get me going more than river smallmouth and fart jokes. I need to get out for at least one more float trip before the summer is officially over. Great episode Joe.

from Koldkut wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

3:40.....who's cast was in the tree?

from vtbluegrass wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

Watching that video was cruel torture. I love being at the coast but the thing I miss most about being in the mountains is the New River and fishing for smallmouth. I couldn't count the hours I spent floating on or waist deep in that river. I fished the section from Radford downstream to the WV line. Summer time was always great for the numbers and just simple fishing but March and April always managed a few hogs.

from Tom-Tom wrote 31 weeks 1 day ago

Now that is good clean fun.

from ejunk wrote 31 weeks 1 day ago

glad you had a great trip in West "By God!" the New is a classic.

from buckhunter wrote 31 weeks 1 day ago

Great film, Joe.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

stayed tuned Creek Chub...stay tuned

from themadflyfisher wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

Was starting to wonder when the next episode was coming.

Looked like a blast! Good watch as always.

from Andrew Bosway wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

from nuclear_fisher wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

from Creek Chub wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

from Koldkut wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

from -Bob wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

I nearly wet my pants.

from Micropterus24 wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

from Koldkut wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

3:40.....who's cast was in the tree?

from vtbluegrass wrote 31 weeks 2 days ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 31 weeks 1 day ago

Now that is good clean fun.

from ejunk wrote 31 weeks 1 day ago

glad you had a great trip in West "By God!" the New is a classic.

from buckhunter wrote 31 weeks 1 day ago