Does Anyone Fly Fish With Tippet Rings?

The Lateral Line

October 23, 2013

Does Anyone Fly Fish With Tippet Rings?

By Joe Cermele

I stumbled upon this video over at the "Tube." this morning. It's weird, because there are a lot of Barbies modeling flyfishing accessories, but at the core it's about rigging a tippet ring. The narrator points out that many people don't know tippet rings exist. Maybe I'm blind, but I can't recall ever bumping into a pack at the fly shop, so I guess I'm one of those people. I will admit that when steelhead or pike fishing, I've got no problem incorporating a micro barrel swivel into my leader for extra strength, but these tippet rings are so tiny they can be used to fish dry flies. Anyone out there use these things? If so, do you think they have an advantage?

from Gtbigsky wrote 25 weeks 4 hours ago

I don's use them. You can achieve the same thing by instead tying a perfection loop in your leaded and attaching the tippet to the loop. This eliminates the need to buy gimmicky accessories. If you want to get really creative and efficient, use a loop to loop connection for quick changing flies. Simply pre rig your nymphs by tying them to 20" of tippet and tie a perfection loop in the end. Tie a perfection loop in your leader and you have a simple loop to loop connection.

from themadflyfisher wrote 25 weeks 4 hours ago

Ok, Barbie was a little creepy. That said. I know I've never seen these anywhere but if I do I think I'd pick them up and give them a try. Also this guy's("tightlinevideo")fly tying videos are some of the best I've come across on the "Tube". Especially for someone like me who is far from a great tyer.

from FLYFISHDOG wrote 25 weeks 4 hours ago

I haven't used them but a couple of buddies that use and build furled leaders absolutely love them. It makes sense to use them with a furled leader though, its a perfect way to terminate the leader, plus if you want to change tippet your not cutting any of the leader. Thanks

from Koldkut wrote 25 weeks 3 hours ago

I've used them, and you don't really notice them, but it's not something I fish with regularly since I'm a creature of habit and always go trimming a leader back when I re-tie tippet.

from Micropterus24 wrote 25 weeks 2 hours ago

Haven't used them, I don't need another small item I'm likely to lose on the water.

from Creek Chub wrote 25 weeks 55 min ago

I used some in Canada last summer for pike fishing. The wire I was using would bite through the butt section or mono. So, I just tied one of these to the end of a sturdy leader capable of turning over big flies and added a foot or so of wire.

from Dangle wrote 24 weeks 6 days ago

I definitely do, and they have some real advantages. I've experimented with "twisted" mono leaders, and have a very effective formulation that deploys a one ft. section of a bimini twist with the tiny loop that includes the tippet ring. It is extremely difficult to just tie a ring at the section above the tippet initially. You end up with a "squiggly" section of mono at the knot. But the bimini section that is easy to construct, allows the ring to free flow in the direction of your cast, and is 100% strong at the junction. Those rings come in three different sizes. IMO the medium size (3/32) works for everything from small flies to big streamers. What you get is only the need to tie a clinch knotted tippet section never shortening your up leader section, and not the difficulty on the water of tying a joining knot. The surgeons knot is the easiest to tie, BUT leaves the most mono left over to trim off, and compromising your up leader taper after a few connections. I have lots of leaders tied that are 7-7.5 ft long to the ring, and then you just add your tippet length.

from Dangle wrote 24 weeks 6 days ago

Oh, and I just sent three to a guy in North Carolina that said he had fingers missing from a hand, and asked if anyone knew an easy knot to join the tippet to the leader. I told him the easiest would be to tie a clinch knot to one of my tippet ring leaders.

from buckhunter wrote 24 weeks 6 days ago

Have heard of them but never used them. The extra knot just another weak link.

I do use swivels but I use bearing swivels and not barrel swivels.

from Flintlock wrote 24 weeks 6 days ago

Neat idea but I don't really need a better mouse trap. Yes, I lose a little leader every time I change tippet but the ol' surgeons knot works just fine for me.

from Dangle wrote 24 weeks 6 days ago

buck...No to your statement again. The bimini is 100% strength given there is no knot at the ring on the up leader side, and that section is a bigger diameter than the tippet. Then a good clinch knot is the same as what you often tie to the fly. One leader can easily last for a season given you never alter the leader above the ring. And you can tie your 5x to the ring fishing a small fly, or tie an 0X to the ring fishing a streamer. You think like an old man. Please get younger would you?

from Dangle wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

It all depends on how much you are into fly fishing. and how often you fly fish. I picked up on the idea of twisted mono leaders at our big fly tying show that has lots of venders in attendence. I have experimented with dozens of formulations, and can construct a twisted mono leader far superior at turning over than a store bought mono leader....and it ends with a tippet in a loop at the end that you tie your tippet to easily, and strong. In low light conditions a clinch knot is sure strong, and easy to tie changing out a tippet. And they last because of no need to change above the ring. And fun, and cheap to make yourself! The rings cost me .70 Cents apiece. That is the big expense. Best thing I've run into in an long, long time in flyfishing, and I am deeeeep into it.

from Jamie Littlejohn wrote 14 weeks 2 hours ago

I just started fishing with them a few months ago. Where have they been all my life! I have a full time career, a wife, 3 kids, 3 dogs and 2 cats. With that said, I don't have that much time to spend on the water, so when I'm able to get out, these rings help me maximize my efforts in hooking and landing trout. The rings can be used nymphing or dry setup. In my opinion, the most versatile setup would be a 9' 2x tapered leader with a tippet ring attached to the 2x side. To fish dries, simply add 3 to 5 feet of tippet material and then your fly. If the tippet gets to short just cut and re-tie and start fishing again. For nymphing I use a 18" piece of Hi-Vis sighter attached to the tippet ring followed by another tippet ring. If I'm fishing a 2 fly rig I'll put about 4 1/2 feet of tippet or for a 3 fly rig I use 6 feet. There are many formulas for the leader but the tippet rings saves time and money.

from Jamie Littlejohn wrote 14 weeks 2 hours ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 25 weeks 4 hours ago

from themadflyfisher wrote 25 weeks 4 hours ago

from FLYFISHDOG wrote 25 weeks 4 hours ago

from Koldkut wrote 25 weeks 3 hours ago

from Micropterus24 wrote 25 weeks 2 hours ago

from Creek Chub wrote 25 weeks 55 min ago

from Dangle wrote 24 weeks 6 days ago

from Dangle wrote 24 weeks 6 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 24 weeks 6 days ago

Have heard of them but never used them. The extra knot just another weak link.

I do use swivels but I use bearing swivels and not barrel swivels.

from Flintlock wrote 24 weeks 6 days ago