Student Arrested For Having Fishing Knives In A Tackle Box In His Car

The Lateral Line

October 09, 2013

Student Arrested For Having Fishing Knives In A Tackle Box In His Car

By Joe Cermele

I don't know about you, but when I was in high school and college, there was a good chance that if you rooted through the glove box or center console of my truck, you could find a knife. Why? Because outdoorsmen carry knives, and I don't know how many times I'd go straight from class to a lake or river. What I certainly never did was bring that knife into class or into the school building. That's just common sense, and 17-year-old avid angler Cody Chitwood seems to possess that same common sense. But when drug-sniffing dogs flagged his car parked in the lot of Georgia's Lassier High School where he's a student, the police proceeded to search the vehicle. They found no drugs, but a couple knives they discovered in Chitwood's tackle box now have him facing up to ten years in prison, and a $10,000 fine. The arrest is part of Georgia's zero tolerance policy on weapons in school.

From the story on Opposingviews.com:

“It’s pretty ridiculous,” said Chitwood, who attends Lassier High School in Cobb County in a statement to the Marietta Daily Journal. “I have an attorney and I’m hoping to get the felony dropped so I can still get in the Air Force.”

“The public expects the same good common sense they use every day of their lives to apply to the laws of our state, and we as legislators seek nothing less,” Republican state Rep. Ed Setzler said to the The Marietta Daily Journal. “We’ll inspect the current state of the law, but our school leaders don’t like it, our law enforcement doesn’t like it, and we’re finding out the citizens who understand the current state of the law certainly don’t like it.”

What do you think? Considering the way things are in this day and age, should Chitwood have been smart enough to leave the knives home, or is the whole thing just completely blown out of proportion?

from vasportsman wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

The law should let officers use some discretion, this is rediculous and I hope the charges get thrown out, results of making laws based on fear rather than common sense!

from GrandSlamDreamer wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

As someone who has graduated from high school not too long ago, from a school that was positioned across the street from a killer trout stream, outdoorsmen have knives and multi-tools in their cars and trucks.

If he had the knives on him (belt holster) or in his backpack, I would be more understanding of a punishment, but this kid had the common sense to not only not have it on him, but to have it in his tacklebox in his car. The tacklebox alone indicates his intent. If they want to get a point across to the population, make the kid do some community service and slap on the wrist, but 10 years in prison and $10,000...these people need to remove their heads from some dark, not so good smelling places.

from Micropterus24 wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

Are you kidding me? What a joke, things like this are the reason why people are losing faith in law enforcement. I went to high school and you better believe I had a knife or 5 in my car just like I do now. This kid gets charged with a felony, and all he wants to do is join our country's Air Force! Sickening

from mayoaaron wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

I blame the law enforcement, the officer who found it in the tackle box could have just put it back and not said anything, instead, being the moron he is, he filed it

from jay wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

Yep, cop just trying to make a name for himself.

from treelimit wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

We are governed by idiots.

from vtbluegrass wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

I graduated high school in 2001. I am sure the policies are different now but in the SW Virginia high school I attended the student handbook specifically allowed student to have a folding knife with a blade under 3" to carry with you. As for what was in your car, you could have a rifle or shotgun locked in your vehicle during hunting season and a knife wouldn't have be questioned anytime.

Wussifacation laws at their finest.

from IND_NRA wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
- Thucydides

from benjaminwc wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

This is insane. Considering every child in school carries with them from class to class, usually a half dozen shanks, (read pens and pencils) access to scissors, 0 tolerance isn't very 0. Maybe 0 tolerance only applies to higher level critical thinking skills.

from Happy Myles wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

My how times have changed. The little country elementary school house I attended had two rooms first through fourth grade in one room, fifth through eighth in the other. If one of the two teachers asked to borrow a pocket knife to open a package of school supplies, every boy in the room would reach in his pocket to loan one. I managed to get through undergraduate, graduate, and law school without being arrested and have always had a pocket knife in my pants.

from tkbone wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

Calm down everybody.

The most unfortunate thing here is that the media can't let this play out - they sensationalize what "could" happen under the zero tolerance policy and law and not what's really going to happen. Assuming he doesn't have any prior discipline issues, he's going to get a good talking-to and a few days of in or out of school suspension. School and law enforcement officials acting reasonably and doing the right thing doesn't sell papers or the online equivalent so keep that in mind the next time you read about the kid with the butter knife who could face life imprisonment and reminisce about the days when you could bring your 12 gauge for show and tell.

from Ray Nelson wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

When I was in High School (Nebraska) half of the boys cars had shotguns in the trunk in the fall because after school we went pheasant hunting. No one even thought a thing about it. The no tolerance rule is one of the most stupid laws ever writen.

from buckhunter wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

Just another example of two government entities (school and police) forgetting how to do their jobs.

from MR AWESOME wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

THIS IS SOOOO STUPID!!!!!!! you know what the knife was in the poor kids tackle box so number 1 it couldnt have been that big plus it was in his tackle box it was obviously meant for fishing!!! And the poor kid is worried cause he just wants to be able to serve his country in the air force! Thats pretty sad!

from rjw wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

We need ZERO Tolerance for politicians, this would be a great example of why.

from jdwood wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

I hate they way this country is going, I wish common sense would prevail a lot more often.

from tkbone wrote 27 weeks 14 hours ago

I challenge F&S to find and post a follow up when this is all resolved and the kid has his high school diploma and is in the Air Force.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from makersman wrote 27 weeks 14 hours ago

At what point does a tool become a weapon? When the person chooses to make it one. i can stab you with a screw driver and make it a weapon. i guess i have a truck full of weapons tire iron,jack handle,socket wrench,ink pen, stupid law

from Kybill54 wrote 26 weeks 6 days ago

I think if you searched the cars of the police officers or the school board members you will fine knives in the tackle boxes in the trunks of their cars. In that part of the country almost everyone is involved in the outdoors.

from Kybill54 wrote 26 weeks 6 days ago

from Kybill54 wrote 26 weeks 6 days ago

from haverodwilltravel wrote 26 weeks 5 days ago

I Obama's old "Organized Neighborhood of Chicago" young children are gunned down daily at a rate that would make most 3rd. world countries blush....BUT....no one is allowed to mention it. Detroit, New Orleans, D.C., etc....fall into the same category and we all know how and why.
So some kid has a fishing knife in his tackle box in his trunk and that's when the PC Cops swing into action (I come from a family of cops...they'd have just taken the knife and told the kid to have his Dad come pick it up at the station).....Sweet. Ain't America great. The PC Nazis let the vile and dangerous walk and persecute the nice kids....and we all know the real reason why.

from Carl Huber wrote 26 weeks 4 days ago

I think too many people are concentrating on the Knife rather than the Times. Many many years ago I belonged to a New York City High School Rifle Team. We practiced in the schools basement and I carried their rifle to meets on a NYC Subway. I have a friend whose H.S. Javelin Toss record still stands today. Why because some people cannot be trusted with a Pointy Stick and that sport is no longer in fashion. It is easy to blame the Cop. But then again years ago no Cretin thought it was cool to shoot up a school or stab a girl. My children love the outdoor sports but they also know what the Regs are. They don't Hunt and Fish out of season and they keep their equipment were it belongs. If this was an over sight and this was an Innocent kid it will be dealt with and a lesson learned. If the Drug Dog smelled Smoke and no actual drugs. Well maybe a Little retraining.

from DesertWalker wrote 26 weeks 3 days ago

tkbone- first I do understand the point that you are making with your comment. And although I agree with it, there comes a point that we can no longer look at something that is an injustices and see that we hope the right resolution is going to happen. There is also a story of a child getting suspended for having a small 2 inch key chain of a gun in his pocket. All this is doing is creating a pettern of the ignorance of the zero tolerance and of the poeple who are trying to enforce it.

now as for myself I can still recall going to school one day in fourth grade, and reaching into my pocket and remembering that I had forgetten to take out the 22lr shells that I was using the night before to rabit hunt, I told my teacher because I felt that was the right thing for me to do. My teacher told me to leave them in my pocket, not to take them out of my pocket at all until I got home. That was it. Once I got to high school you could look in my truck at any moment and find multiple knives, I always carried a leatherman in my pocket everyday, and shotshells and 22lr shells in my truck. I would have never thought I would get in trouble for having them in my truck. In college a friend an myself would leave shotguns in our trucks to go dove hunting after class, you could look in my truck in college and always find a firearm. You could do the same thing to this day. Its not as if this kid had a machette in his backpack in class. The charges never should have been filed the worst thing that should have happened is that the knive was taken and his father had to retreive it as haverodwilltravel stated. at the end of the day the offense was nothing and really was not an offense at all. What this does is create the patteren that others will start to follow. I feel for this kid, he did nothing wrong and will in some way pay a price even if it is community service.

from Williamk8987 wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

I know it is easy to blame the police department/officer for this sham of an arrest. But, it isn't all their fault. The highest level school offical and highest level police offical are going to be working together and over see the entire operation. I'm sure everyone came looking too when the K9 hit. So when the officer searched the truck everyone saw and he had no choice.

My only question is... Would Obama get involved if this kid wasn't who he was?....

from tkbone wrote 26 weeks 11 hours ago

If you google this story further you will see the charges were dropped. Who would've ever thought that county government officials might be more interested in keeping kids safe at school than obtaining absurd results?

from vasportsman wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

from IND_NRA wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

- Thucydides

from makersman wrote 27 weeks 14 hours ago

from Micropterus24 wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

from haverodwilltravel wrote 26 weeks 5 days ago

from treelimit wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

We are governed by idiots.

from Ray Nelson wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

from Carl Huber wrote 26 weeks 4 days ago

from GrandSlamDreamer wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

from mayoaaron wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

from jay wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

Yep, cop just trying to make a name for himself.

from vtbluegrass wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

Wussifacation laws at their finest.

from benjaminwc wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

from Happy Myles wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

from tkbone wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

Calm down everybody.

from buckhunter wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

from MR AWESOME wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

from rjw wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago

We need ZERO Tolerance for politicians, this would be a great example of why.

from jdwood wrote 27 weeks 1 day ago