Reflections On The Last Casts of 2013

The Lateral Line

December 31, 2013

Reflections On The Last Casts of 2013

By Joe Cermele

Every year I take the week between Christmas and New Year's off, mostly to hang with family, but also to get my last licks on my local waters with friends before our fishing licenses expire. Just yesterday I made my final cast of 2013, throwing flies at pickerel with some pals. A few days ago I stuck some nice trout during a frosty morning with friend and guide Nick Raftas, and the weekend before Santa came down the chimney, it was pike on the fly with my friend Joe Demalderis. Considering it's winter, it was a pretty good last hurrah. But you can't help think about the season as a whole this time of year, and I must admit, I've had better.

Don't misunderstand, there were glimmers of epicness (not a word but I'm using it) in 2013. A 475-pound hammerhead from the surf is something I'll never forget. There was a window in early August when the smallmouth fishing on my home river, the Delaware, was on fire like no other season. But in the overall scheme of things, fishing was, well, tough. I'm not going to rant on and on about specifics, but I'll just say it...I've been in a slump for most of 2013. Fish came, but not often without a struggle. Good days peppered in were flanked by what felt like long spans of skunks and scratches. I also feel like I heard some form of this phrase many times this year: "I don't know what's going on with these fish. The conditions are perfect. They just don't wanna eat." Then again, maybe I fished like crap. It very well could have just been me.

What I'm not saying here is that it wasn't a blast. I met some great new friends this year and learned a lot of new stuff I plan to use on future adventures. Personally, I'm ready for 2014, and hoping the flip of the calendar will reset my mojo, but maybe 2013 was the best fishing year of your life. I hope it was, and if so, I hope it carries over for you. Send some good vibes my way. Happy New Year, everyone!

from rjw wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

Variables, that is what life and fishing is all about. Finding that sweet spot and staying there is the trick! Best of luck in ‘14

from nuclear_fisher wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

JC - Hated to loose Mr. Merwin, but thank you for another year of great fishing tips, tricks, lure history, related comedy and of course your awesome Hook Shots videos. I put together a brief pic/clip video of my own fishing for the year, mostly for myself to reminisce about while there’s nothing else to do here in central Indiana, but I figured I’d post it here too if anyone else is interested and sufficiently bored. Your hook shots were definitely the primary inspiration for me getting an action cam for fishing and related adventures. My videos are nowhere near as polished as yours, but I'm learning and I like it more than messing with pulling a camera out after landing a fish, especially when solo. Really hoping to get more “action shots” next year and catch a carp on the fly. Wishing you, Dave, Capt’n Kerber and everyone else out there tight lines in 2014 – Will

spam filter said no to the link, if interested google: william fullmer 2013 fishing

from buckhunter wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

Happy New Year, Joe. I hope you get your muskie on the fly next year.

from Koldkut wrote 15 weeks 4 days ago

2013 was below par on fish, 2014 should be better. Happy new year.

from Koldkut wrote 15 weeks 4 days ago

2013 was below par on fish, 2014 should be better. Happy new year.

from Joe Demalderis wrote 15 weeks 4 days ago

Just think how good some newly learned water is going to fish this year!

from David Wolak wrote 15 weeks 3 days ago

Amen, those are the times we learn from. Happy New Year!

from wittsec wrote 15 weeks 3 days ago

Even bad days fishing are better than good days working. Happy New Years all!!

from rjw wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

from nuclear_fisher wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

Happy New Year, Joe. I hope you get your muskie on the fly next year.

from Koldkut wrote 15 weeks 4 days ago

2013 was below par on fish, 2014 should be better. Happy new year.

from Koldkut wrote 15 weeks 4 days ago

2013 was below par on fish, 2014 should be better. Happy new year.

from Joe Demalderis wrote 15 weeks 4 days ago

Just think how good some newly learned water is going to fish this year!

from David Wolak wrote 15 weeks 3 days ago

Amen, those are the times we learn from. Happy New Year!

from wittsec wrote 15 weeks 3 days ago

Even bad days fishing are better than good days working. Happy New Years all!!