Find Fish With Your Smartphone

The Lateral Line

January 08, 2014

Find Fish With Your Smartphone

By Joe Cermele

Two years ago I posted a blog called "The Last Fishing App You'll Ever Need." That app was called Fishfinder. You took a picture of a body of water, your phone appeared to be making calculations, and then it spit back a sonar image that showed the location of the fish. Of course, it was just a joke...although a few commenters weren't so sure at the time. How funny is it that two years later, the real thing exists? I haven't tried Deeper yet, but it looks pretty legit. At least it has to be better than the castable fishfinder that displayed on a bulky wristwatch Humminbird came out with about 17 years ago. I got one for Christmas when I was a kid and it never worked worth a lick.

from Koldkut wrote 14 weeks 6 days ago

Vexilar has one out as well, the Sonarphone.

from Mike Smith wrote 14 weeks 6 days ago

My company make a product just like that one. Its called Fishhunter. It costs a bit less and does all the same things. We just launched in December so it really new right now. check it out if you get a chance?

thanks

Michael
ps. we will ship you one for free if you want to try it.......just let me know. cheers.

from Gavin Hillstead wrote 14 weeks 6 days ago

alright what happens when a bass or northern mistakes it for a mouse/frog?

from Joey Arender wrote 14 weeks 5 days ago

@ mike smith just go ahead and hit me up for my address Lol.

from Proverbs wrote 14 weeks 5 days ago

Great. Now all I need is for my smartphone to be water proof or even somewhat water resistant.

from rjw wrote 14 weeks 5 days ago

Sounds like its time for a little friendly shoot-out between Deeper and Fishhunter.
Gavin brings up a good point, there should be an eyelet on this thing to attach a treble hook:)

from DannyK wrote 14 weeks 5 days ago

Well you obviously put your phone in a watertight case. We used something just like this when I was visiting a buddy in BC last year and it was awesome. I meant to get one when I came back then I totally forgot about it. Just checked out both sites. Fish Hunter actually looks better to me. Way more cool features.

from DannyK wrote 14 weeks 5 days ago

from Mike Smith wrote 14 weeks 4 days ago

Joey, the offer was really meant for the editor because i would love to get an unbiased review that people could read on Fishhunter. BUT, go to our web site and send us an email directly and we WILL send you one for free. ya thats right, Free!

Michael

from mschn001 wrote 14 weeks 4 days ago

Looks awesome but I wonder how quick these products run down the battery on your smartphone. Also, I'd be hesitant to attach my phone to my kayak the way they did in the video. I'd have to pick up the float they make for my lifeproof case.

from huntfish365 wrote 11 weeks 4 days ago

For me, Fishhunter and Deeper cost a lot of money, over 2x the price of iBobber, which I've been following and understand will be available soon. There's some very cool stuff in iBobber— uses Bluetooth Smart, weighs half of Deeper and Fishhunter and is half the size, and unlike Deeper, battery life is looooong. Check out iBobber at www.reelsonar.com.

from huntfish365 wrote 11 weeks 4 days ago

Oh, yeah… iBobber is half the size and weight of Vexilar too. and no wi-fi for me— wifi runs the battery down in cells phones.

from Mike Smith wrote 14 weeks 6 days ago

thanks

Michael

from rjw wrote 14 weeks 5 days ago

from Koldkut wrote 14 weeks 6 days ago

Vexilar has one out as well, the Sonarphone.

from Gavin Hillstead wrote 14 weeks 6 days ago

alright what happens when a bass or northern mistakes it for a mouse/frog?

from Joey Arender wrote 14 weeks 5 days ago

@ mike smith just go ahead and hit me up for my address Lol.

from Proverbs wrote 14 weeks 5 days ago