Finicky Pickerel Through The Ice On Super Bowl Sunday

The Lateral Line

February 04, 2014

Finicky Pickerel Through The Ice On Super Bowl Sunday

By Joe Cermele

Given that it's like the Arctic here in the Northeast this winter, there's not exactly much to do except hit the hardwater. This is not something I've done much of prior to this year, but I must say I've been enjoying it. On Sunday, a couple buddies and I fished a small lake in North Jersey with a big pickerel population, and we decided to record what our Marcum cameras were seeing below the hole. Turns out that a fish that's usually ravenous can be pretty selective when it wants to. The numbers of pickerel hovering around the baits and jigs verse how many actually commited to a take was pretty wild. Most interesting to me was how intrigued they were by the camera, and how quickly a lively shiner would go completely dead when a pickerel entered the frame. Fun stuff.

from MattM37 wrote 10 weeks 2 days ago

Nice to see some attention given to the pickerel. He's smarter than a brook trout, prettier than a largemouth, and tastier than a crappie, but he still gets the cold shoulder from many in the fishing community.

from Koldkut wrote 10 weeks 2 days ago

Ice fishing is open study time. Study how the fish react to different movements. A few weekends back it was crappie, 2 friends blanked, two caught a couple of fish a piece, and one guy got 30, all off the same tree. And so it goes to show, you aren't really lying when you say your bait is sleeping on the job.

from nehunter92 wrote 10 weeks 2 days ago

I don’t know about “smarter than a brook trout”, this past Saturday I saw a giant pickerel caught that had two golden shiners five small shiners and an old spoon in its gut. Still, I agree that Pickerel are a highly underrated game fish. What they lack in gross size they more than make up for in stamina, speed, and a plain refusal to quit, ever. Add the challenge of trying to finesse the line so as to avoid losing the entire rig to its sharp teeth, and you have yourself a fine sporting challenge.

from rjw wrote 10 weeks 2 days ago

Looks like you guys had more fun than the Broncos.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 10 weeks 1 day ago

very cool, wouldn't think that you would have that much visibility under the ice. Just got back from NW ON, spent 2 days trying to ice a laker with no luck. Glad to see others have been more successful.

from LJBrennan007 wrote 9 weeks 1 day ago

Not sure why people who make these videos feel compelled to ruin them with head-banging music that has no apparent connection to the outdoors at all, but am thankful I have a mute button on my computer. I'd much prefer a narrative--what time of day is it, how deep is the water, how far off bottom is the bait, etc. Oh well... Otherwise, nice footage.

from MattM37 wrote 10 weeks 2 days ago

from Koldkut wrote 10 weeks 2 days ago

from nehunter92 wrote 10 weeks 2 days ago

from rjw wrote 10 weeks 2 days ago

Looks like you guys had more fun than the Broncos.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 10 weeks 1 day ago