New National Field Trialing Bird Dog Champion!

Man's Best Friend

February 28, 2011

New National Field Trialing Bird Dog Champion!

By Chad Love

by Chad Love

After two weeks of intense competition at the historic Ames Plantation in Grand Junction, Tennessee the bird dog field trial world has a new national champion.

From this story in the Memphis Commercial Appeal:
When Ike Todd's dog, Touch's Whiteout, finished its three-hour run at Ames Plantation last Saturday morning, it had already been credited with six solid finds. But the dog was out of sight of the judges when the three hours expired -- and when the dog was located by its handler, it was pointed yet again. That qualified as its seventh find, and it was enough to put the dog over the top at the National Championship for Field Trialing Bird Dogs.

"The judges asked me did I see my dog at the three-hour mark, and I had to admit that I did," said Todd, a Somerville resident who serves as co-owner and handler of the dog with Indiana resident Keith Wright. "They said to go pick him up, and I rode in there just that quick hoping not to lose him." But when Todd found the dog, he was pointed. "There he stood pointed just right around the corner," Todd said. "He was having a good run. He hadn't pointed anything but birds to that point, so I really didn't think he would start going bad on me then. I was confident it was another bird."

It was indeed the dog's seventh find, and it may have been just what Touch's Whiteout needed to slip past Gamemaker, a talented pointer owned by Dr. Fred Corder of Corinth, Miss., who finished the competition with six finds, and Poison, a dog that recorded five solo finds and shared another find with its brace mate, 2010 champion In the Shadow.

Congratulations to Ike Todd and Touch's Whiteout for the impressive win. And once again the English pointers take the prize. Granted, most you probably aren't field trialers, but I'm sure some of you are English pointer owners. Are you feeling a little breed pride today?

from marceaton wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I don't see a single "it" in reference to a dog in this entire article. Congrats Ike

from chadlove wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Duly noted and agreed, Blackdawgz, except that I must plead innocent of committing that most egregious breach of pronoun etiquette. You must take that up with the writer of the original newspaper article...

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

i'm proud of my lab even if he isn't a champion. congrats on the win.
marceaton, you really like giving out those negatives, don't you? here, give me one, so it will affect me the rest of my life.

from Dave_Maccar wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Let's keep it clean, gents. -DM

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

dave, it will be kept clean. mr. eaton needs to learn that negatives such as the one he gave dawgz are meant for offensive and insulting comments, not just because you disagree with someone. he seems very liberal with them.
well said, blackdawgz.

from marceaton wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

whoa dare hoss, jamesti, don't get your panties in a bunch. I would hate to give ya any more negatives, it sure looks like the first one I gave ya got ya riled up enough....on 2nd thought, why not

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Somebody's U.D.V. is going to need a bigger compartment for trophies, no more canoe room, well permanent trailer registration fees aren't too bad.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

mr. eaton, i could care less. you really think i could care less about losing a few points? it's about you disrespecting those that you should listen to. enjoy your 1 star. you will do well on here. if you want to be an authority on dogs, you are going after the wrong one. learn some manners!

from Mark-1 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Neat! Congrats to the proud winner[s]!

from chadlove wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

i'm proud of my lab even if he isn't a champion. congrats on the win.

from Dave_Maccar wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Let's keep it clean, gents. -DM

from marceaton wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from marceaton wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

well said, blackdawgz.

from Mark-1 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Neat! Congrats to the proud winner[s]!