Is This Coyote a Bird-Hunting Machine?

Man's Best Friend

May 20, 2011

Is This Coyote a Bird-Hunting Machine?

By Chad Love

Many of you have probably seen the story on the website's homepage about viral e-mail and Internet photos.

So in keeping with that theme, I give you this photo of a coyote that allegedly is a bird-hunting machine. According to the story that goes with the photo (which I've cropped so as not to give you any clues as to its authenticity) this coyote, appropriately named "Wylie" was found as a pup and subsequently raised by an ardent quail hunter. To the man's surprise, the young 'yote, which grew up with a pack of pointers, taught itself how to point by emulating the other dogs and soon, so the story (Legend? Hoax? Tall Tale?) goes, Wylie was beating the bird dogs at their own game.

So what say you, MBF readers? Is it real, or is it a Snopes-worthy hoax just waiting to be debunked? I'll give you the answer on Monday, providing someone doesn't dig it up before then...

VOTE HERE!

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Could be true, but I'm going to doubt it based on the thought that a "tame" coyote brought repeatedly into a hunting environment will eventually run into the hunter that shoots it on sight.

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Let's see, a black and white picture?
I say true!
It could possibly be a coy-dog that was raised with a bunch of pointers, mimicking them in play and fun, but learning that the play and fun brought about the desired results for 'ol Wylie.

Is there an arrow somewhere in the background with a stick of dynamite attached?

from ggmack wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

the 'yote looks a little rigid to me. i know it is supposed to be a pointer and they can get rigid on point but this is not a pointing stance.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I vote fake. Who would take a pet yote into a field full of hunters?

from JOHN GOSSELIN wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

This is not very likely to be true. The "point" is a trait that was developed with selective breeding of bird dogs over hundreds of generations. If anything, this claim may have been exaggerated a bit. The coyote may have learned to hesitate for a moment when in the presence of game. This is a normal trait of most terrestrial predators, followed by pouncing on the critter and making the kill. But to say or even imply that the coyote held point like a well-bred pointing dog is not a story I can readily buy into without seeing it with my own eyes.
If the same person said that the coyote also held steady to wing and shot then I'd say "ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!"

from jamesti wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

i'm not buying it. i's put my lab against this yote anytime.

from rock rat wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Why some one stuffed a yote is beyond me, but great picture.

from bj264 wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I could buy it except for the pointing part.

from blackhawkbill wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I say false. I think the picture is doped. The shadow on the hunters gun butt is at a different angle to the yotes muzzle shadow. Good try though. Had me thinking it might be true.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from iron giant wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

It doesn't look like an old photo, it looks like someone photo shopped the two two together then added the black and white and grainy effects. I mean what old school bird hunter wore sunglasses?

from minigunner111 wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

The guy in the picture looks just like you Chad. And is that a modern recoil pad on that gun? P.S. wheres David and his little chocolate puppy?

from Joe Wright wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I'll wait to see if it is real or not. But,.. stranger things have happened. Iron Giant, I've worn sun glasse since I was 13, and have hunted everything in Iowa since 1972, and grouse in Michigan , but never without my sunglasses. Even on cloudy days!

from minnow hunter wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I'd say false, him saying that he cut makes me think its not true

from Joe Wright wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

After looking at this picture again, it looks like a German Shepard body with a Coyote head ???

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Let's see, a black and white picture?
I say true!

from ggmack wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I vote fake. Who would take a pet yote into a field full of hunters?

from JOHN GOSSELIN wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

i'm not buying it. i's put my lab against this yote anytime.

from rock rat wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Why some one stuffed a yote is beyond me, but great picture.

from bj264 wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I could buy it except for the pointing part.

from iron giant wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago