Shed Dogs: Training Your Hound to Hunt For Horn

Man's Best Friend

August 08, 2011

Shed Dogs: Training Your Hound to Hunt For Horn

By Chad Love

As noted in an earlier blog, I recently attended a writer's event at the Purina Events Center in Missouri. As part of that experience my writers' group was treated to several informative seminars from noted trainer Tom Dokken, who has been instrumental in the exploding popularity of using your gun dog to find shed antlers.

Dokken has a wealth of information on his website devoted to hunting sheds with dogs. There's even a new world shed dog hunting championship. Shed hunting with your dog is something a lot of guys seem interested in, so it's definitely something I'll be writing about in the future. Today, however, I'd like to talk a little about a training product Dokken makes and sells called Rack Wax.

Basically, Rack Wax is deer antler-scented wax that you can smear on an old shed to give it a little scent. We all got a tube of Rack Wax at the event, and I decided to play around with it a bit this weekend. It comes in a Chapstick-sized tube, looks pretty much like Chapstick, and even smells sort of like Chapstick. In fact, if you were to absentmindedly pick up a tube of Rack Wax and smear it over your lips, I'd be willing to bet you wouldn’t even notice it until it was too late. And if you were a really unobservant dumba**, you might even apply it twice before realizing your mistake.

Now, I'm not admitting to anything here. I'm speaking strictly in hypotheticals, but all I'm saying is, it's possible. So if you pick up a tube of Tom Dokken's Rack Wax, don’t say you weren't warned...

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Lamo. Thanks!

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

That really sounds like something really fun to do with my smaller dog, who has a nose that won't quit, but doesn't care for gunfire.

from VAHunter540 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I might have to pick up a tube for the girlfriend..... and put it with her Burts Bee's. Just for kicks and giggles. She wont understand why the dog all of a sudden loves her.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

i spend enough time with my dog just concentrating on birds. we train all year and i wouldn't want to divert him from doing what he is so good at.

from Anthony wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

@jamesti - that's a valid concern, but one you shouldn't worry about. Check out this additional shed dog article and see that your dog can do both: http://www.pheasantblog.org/ahauck/your-pheasant-dog-could-be-a-shed-dog...

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago