Tri-Tronics Upland G3 Collar Is Solid...and Poo Resistant

Man's Best Friend

September 12, 2011

Tri-Tronics Upland G3 Collar Is Solid...and Poo Resistant

By Chad Love

Today's blog is both a mini-review of a product and a handy-dandy training tip, all rolled into one smelly, disgusting post. For the past few months I've been using one of the new Tri-Tronics Upland Special G3EXP e-collars and thus far it's been a rock-solid performer. The transmitter's layout is easy to understand, its' shape is grippy and ergonomic. The collar is light and unobtrusive and, like virtually all Tri-Tronics products I've used in the past, it's been dead-reliable. Among those who know and hunt with me I am infamous for losing and/or breaking any type of electronic gear. So if I noodle around with something for an extended period of time and it doesn't break, it probably won't.

I love the collar, but I have discovered the Upland G3's one glaring flaw: it's not unloseable (see paragraph above). This weekend I was working my young setter on some planted birds when the transmitter apparently fell out of my shorts as I bent down to pick up something. I had already finished training and loaded up the dog so I wasn't using it and therefore never noticed it gone.

My son and I drove on, knocked around the farm, did a little scouting for deer season, shot some clay pigeons and were just about ready to start the drive home when I suddenly realized I couldn't remember putting the transmitter back in the training bag. A quick search of the truck revealed no transmitter, so back we drove to the training area, which by this time was populated by a herd of cows.

One fruitless hour later, as I was about to give up, go home and figure out how to explain this to Tri-Tronics customer service without looking like the fool I assuredly am, I noticed about an inch of stubby black antenna sticking out of a massive cowflop, the kind of runny, steaming mess only a slobbering 700-pound steer can produce. I briefly weighed the cost of a replacement transmitter, then reluctantly began digging my transmitter out of the pile.

I wiped it off as best I could, then dunked it in the pond until it came more or less clean. A good scrubbing with a brush when I got home and it was good as new. Tri-Tronics advertises the G3 Upland Special as waterproof, but I can attest that in addition to water that they have absolute integrity against bovine effluvium intrusion. I highly recommend that Tri-Tronic began using this in their marketing because I ask you: How many products can boast of that?

And here's today's handy-dandy training tip: Don't merely flag, but drape, swaddle and envelop all your e-collar transmitters, GPS receivers, hand-held radios, or other portable electronics in bright orange or yellow surveyor's tape, because otherwise, once it falls out of your vest or pocket, that black or gray device will automatically become invisible, except to a cow's sphincter, apparently.

from ckRich wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Hahaha, I can't say that I've heard that one before. You might have developed a new gear rating: Won't break for Sh*&

from GregMc wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

It doesn't get much more "field tested" then that.
Does the transmitter have a lock button to keep from accidentally triggering it while it's in your pocket?

from chadlove wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

GregMc, yes it does. On the intensity dial which is on top of the transmitter there's an "N" setting that disables all functions. It's handy, but there's also a three-way toggle switch on the transmitter for running up to three collars, so what I've been doing is simply putting the toggle switch on a different collar setting, which basically does the same thing as the N setting on the dial but flipping the toggle lets me get on a correction a little faster if I need to.

from -Bob wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Chad gets a +1! (Or, given the circumstances, a +2)? -Bob

from pete5645 wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Thats a great field test for the collar. I have the same one and I have nothing but great things to say about it. Easy to use, long range, poo-resistant (apparently), can control beeper from the transmitter, etc., etc.

Grouse opens in MN this Saturday, and I've got a 1 year-old German Shorthair that can't wait to get in the woods!

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Thanks. I like it when someone has a 'real-world' test to tell about a product.

That's also why I don't buy things in camo or black, if it's destined for the field, and will (should) spend most of the time in a pocket.

from ckRich wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from GregMc wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

It doesn't get much more "field tested" then that.

from chadlove wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from -Bob wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Chad gets a +1! (Or, given the circumstances, a +2)? -Bob

from pete5645 wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Thanks. I like it when someone has a 'real-world' test to tell about a product.