End of the Year Musings from a Duck Hunter

Man's Best Friend

December 23, 2011

End of the Year Musings from a Duck Hunter

By Chad Love

The snow came roaring in to my little corner of the world earlier this week, and with it the birds, pushing ahead of the blizzard raging behind them. Hunkered down in the cattails, we watched them flying high and fast. They were gone with neither a glance nor quack toward my meager spread and ever-pitiful calling. A typical evening hunt for me.

So we just sat there, the dog and I, in the lee of an old beaver lodge, content to watch the undulating spectacle of migration play out across the evening sky. We had the lake, and seemingly the world, all to ourselves. And, as I often do in the presence of such ancient and wondrous magic, I quickly fell into deep contemplation of all life's mysteries. A natural thing to do, I suppose, in these last penultimate days of the year, poised between looking back at what was and looking forward to what will be.

I mused and I mulled. I pondered and naval-gazed. I philosophized and proselytized, and just when I was on the verge of pulling it all together into one, all-encompassing unified-field theory of life--the universe and everything--a flight of mallards suddenly pitched into the decoys and my half-formed grand realization was gone like a forgotten dream, leaving in its wake a pair of drakes bobbing in the slushy water.So much for figuring it all out, but a beautiful pair of greenheads on a luminous winter evening is about as good a consolation as a guy could ask for.

Merry Christmas everyone, and here's hoping your holidays include lots of happy tails and feathers.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Doesn't get any better than that!

Merry Christmas!

We only got two snows and a pintail this morning, but the dawg snagged several other birds for the pedestrians.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

an ideal day capped off with a couple of birds! Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing that!

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

While our season has been in since the Friday after Thanksgiving, the abscense of cold weather has yet to push many migrators to Alabama. Swatting skeeters and pushing cottonmouths outa the blind has been the order of business so far. A quick Christmas afternoon trip to the lake yielded but a humble gadwall and a drake mallard. Maybe January will bring more appropriate weather and ducks before the season ends on the 31st.
Happy Holidays.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Doesn't get any better than that!

Merry Christmas!