Dog is Only Cure for 13-Year-Old with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

Man's Best Friend

February 06, 2012

Dog is Only Cure for 13-Year-Old with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

By Chad Love

Anyone who's ever owned or been around them knows that dogs are a Swiss army knife for the soul. No matter what's troubling you, no matter how bad things are, or how bad they may get, the presence of a dog just seems to make things better. How do they do it?

Who knows, but if Big Pharma could somehow extract, replicate and synthesize into pill form, the effect of a dog's love on the human soul, it would immediately render all other forms of therapy and treatment obsolete.

But they haven't, thankfully, which is why we still have stories like this one from the New York Times Magazine about a young boy suffering from the effects of fetal alcohol syndrome and the dog that helped him when nothing else could.

It's a long read, but well worth it, and if, after reading it, you don't immediately drop everything and either A. cry, B. hug your dog, or C. cry while hugging your dog, then you surely have a heart of the blackest obsidian and are well and truly lost.

from Meerpj26 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

This is why dog is man's best friend.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Sorry, but I can't read that. Our labs meant the world to my late son. He was high functioning autistic. They were always a good outlet for him when he was having a meltdown. He'd sometimes "run away" but Cathy made it a rule that he had to take Pearl with him. If he didn't, she'd just open the gate and let her go after him anyway. He'd usually make it to the end of our one block long street and set down and cry till the autism switch went off. Pearl would sit there with him till he was ready to come home. I saw something on the news recently about a high school in Eastern Ontario that started a program with the special needs kids where they would babysit dogs as part of the life skills. It was working out very well, especially for some of the more severely autistic kids.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing this article. Dogs are truly amazing creatures and possess an intelligence well beyond a scientific explanation. I am sure if dogs had opposable thumbs they would have beat man to the moon.

from Hoski wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Nice article.
I for one sincerely hope big pharma never finds a way to put the unconditional love a dog has for us humans into pill form.

from FishingnotCatching wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I know what I'll be naming my next pup... Great article, once again.

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Thanks for sharing Chad!
The center in Xenia, Ohio, that trains the dogs are just about 40-miles north of where I live.

This story is perhaps one of the greatest love stories I've read ... through the tears as you mentioned.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

that is why my dog is named Chaos. that is what my life was like when i got him after my divorce and relocating. he is literally the reason i am still here! thanks for sharing that.

from shotgunlou wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Sittin at work tryin not to let anybody see the tears. Great story about the relationship between man and beast(best friend). Wouldnt it be nice if everybody on the planet was givin a "therapy" dog? Imagine how many less road rage incidents, murders and assaults we'd have. Or how much kinder we would be to each other. I know I'd be a way worse human being if not for the love of my dogs. A wet tongue and a mut to cuddle with is the best therapy I've had for the s#1t life has thrown at me.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Meerpj26 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

This is why dog is man's best friend.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Hoski wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Nice article.

from FishingnotCatching wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I know what I'll be naming my next pup... Great article, once again.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago