Bird Dog Blackberry Whiskey: Nice Label, But a Good Spirit?

Man's Best Friend

July 26, 2012

Bird Dog Blackberry Whiskey: Nice Label, But a Good Spirit?

By Chad Love

Though they tend to generate a lot of conversation, I generally shy away from blog posts about favorite spirits. Not because I'm some temperance-loving Carrie Nations character, but because I've noticed that when you stick your neck out and tell the world what you enjoy, there are plenty of hatchet-wielding haters out there ready to cut you down.

Case in point? A few months back Wild Chef blogger David Draper had the gall to proclaim his preference for scotch over bourbon. I think he's still walking a little funny from the reaming he took from all the bourbon-loving readers.

Plus, other than the normal (and well-trod) discussion of what you enjoy sipping while sitting around the campfire, the connection between gun dogs and favorite liquors is, well, tenuous at best. But I was recently e-mailed a link to an interesting bird dog-themed, flavored, bourbon-based whiskey, called (appropriately enough) Bird Dog Whiskey.

I've not tried it, but I must admit, it's an exceedingly handsome package, with a vintage-looking picture of a pointer on the label. The maker even touts its support of several conservation groups like Ducks Unlimited, The Quality Deer Management Association, the National Wild Turkey Federation and The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. I must confess a bit of confusion over why the makers of something called Bird Dog Whiskey don't include a few upland or pointing dog organizations in that group, but to each their own, it's still a cool-looking package.

I'm not a big fan of flavored whiskeys (or "whiskys," if you prefer British or Canadian varieties) but I am a sucker for any kind of gun dog or wingshooting-themed art, merchandise or kitsch, so I'll probably pick up a bottle, for display if nothing else. Has anyone out there tried it? Any other gundog-themed spirits or beers out there we need to know about?

And here's the inevitable question (You knew it was coming.): When you're sitting around the campfire after a long day traipsing over yon hill and dale with your faithful four-legged companion, what's your favorite adult beverage?

I guess I should go ahead and stick my neck on the chopping block now and admit that I, like David Draper, am first and foremost (when the pocketbook allows) a single-malt scotch guy. And like Draper, when I can't afford my favorite Islay, the old, reliable (and cheap) Famous Grouse is a perfectly enjoyable and acceptable substitute.

That's not to say I'm not a bourbon fan. I am, and my current absolute favorite for both price and enjoyment, is Elijah Craig 12 Year. It's the best bargain in moderate-priced, high-quality bourbon out there. In fact, I switch to bourbon exclusively in the summer and early fall. But when real, leaf-dropping, frosty-morning fall gets here and bird seasons start in earnest, my go-to bird camp drink is Laphroaig, or one of the other Islay malts. There, I said it: I love the Limburger cheese of whisky. Does it taste exactly like scorched, peat-infused dirt? Absolutely, and I love it anyway.

OK, I'm ready for the abuse. Heap it on. What's your favorite and why is it better than mine?

from CL3 wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Hey, if you want to fruit the beer, I won't judge. I like fruit sometimes too and am man enough to be confident in what I drink.

My favorite drink is Glenfiddich 12 for it's taste and price. It's better than yours, well because, it's from the Deer Valley in the Highlands... hints of vanilla and wood. I can't stand that peaty, islay stuff.

from Puffy wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

When I'm sitting around the campfire after a long day my favorite adult beverage of choice is the only one you'll never hear complaints about.......that's right, I prefer the "free" drinks :)

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

The absolute best is Apple Pie flavored moonshine, but when thats not available I like Jack Daniels. And both are better than your sissy scotch simply because they're American.

from dbenear1985 wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

I have tried Bird Dog Whiskey. I must say what caught my attention was the label, but while it isnt bad it does taste slightly like cough syrup. My favorite whiskey to drink would have to be Wild Turkey 101. It is bold enough to let you know your drinking something but smooth enough to make you feel up town. There is also another hunting themed whiskey called Whitetail Whiskey and it is carmel flavored. While i am not much for flavored whiskey myself I would take either on the rocks sitting at a round table discussing the days hunt with friends. Maybe its not so much the whiskey but the company who joins you for that drink which makes it seem worth while.

from Hannah Tuntland wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

I like bird dog. I also got it because the bottle was intriguing. But liked it enough to buy several bottles since then. Almost everyone I have introduced it to seems to like it as well.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

I've not tried it but I feel like I couldn't be much of a fan of a blueberry whiskey. Who knows though, would like a report back - although I am inclined to believe the "cough syrup" story above. While I like scotch very much (practically anything that starts with Glen...) I'm not very passionate about which is best. Contrarily with bourbon I am very passionate about Woodfords reserve. I've had every bourbon I've been able to find under $50 a bottle and nothing holds a candle to Woodford in my book.

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Four Roses is up there with Woodford Reserve.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Generally I don't drink anything when I'm hunting or afterwards. I'm usually too pooped and I notice it slows me up a lot the next day (forget that turning sixty has anything to do with it!). However, if my cousin or brother show up for uplands we will at some point go in to "town" and belly-up to one of the cowboy bars for a glass of suds. Mostly we go because the dogs can come along (to one of the bars and sometimes the other one if the right person is pulling the pints). For us it's mostly about the spectator sport rather than getting gassed up. It can be quite entertaining and most of the characters have known me for years. I usually only drink Coors Light - hopefully on tap! I hate the stuff. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the worst brews made. I drink it because I hate it. Beer and I have a serious love affair that goes back many years. I guess it's something like going out with girls when in college. Pick one who's not very ... er ... charming so you don't get hooked on her. That way the grades - or hunting - don't suffer. Yep, that explains the long list of dismal dollies I conquered in my formative years. In fact it's an ingenius explanation. I'm surprised I didn't think of it before now!

from Phil1227 wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

We had a bottle of bird dog during deer season last year and everyone who had it liked it.
My favorit drink after a long hunt is crown royal.

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

A lot of thought went into the label and 19th century bottle shape. I haven't sampled it but if it's a straight blackberry infusion I'll pass. If I'm drinking a sweet drink I would like a more complex taste like Drambuie. If it's something hunter friendly. I would go with Jagermeister [master hunter]or Barenjager [bear hunter].

from sgtsly wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

I'd have to start out with an ice cold Leg Humper Ale. Also with a dog on the label.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

I can't even drive to the fishing/hunting site without having my Yukon Jack ride shotgun. Then its Shnoppe's in the coffee.

from ITHACASXS wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

A glass of dry red wine.

from LWarren wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Seriously, Makers Mark Bourbon is the ONLY "spirit" worth drinking. Does this post make me look opinionated? I guess to be fair, there is some validity to a single malt scotch being drinkable.

from The White Slug wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

My favorite beverage is the one in my hand. Hic....

from Greenhead wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Nothing is better than Laphroiag. If it doesn't smell like your carpet is on fire, it just isn't the same.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Jack Daniels Single Barrel

from Trapper Vic wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

OH, Bad beer an ugly women so that you don't get hooked??
You gotta taste the good stuff once in your life no matter what it is!

I like Bird Dog on the rocks in cooler weather. But, I'm with Chad L when it comes to Famous Grouse. Its my all time favorite scotch bar none. I went to cllege in bourbon country (UK)and there are some truely great ones. If you can't drink it neat or on the rocks, then stick with your cheaper soda pop whiskeys!

from Proverbs wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Oban.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Trapper Vic: I did more than get a taste of the best stuff. I was married to her for 23 wonderful years. Was pretty close to an alchololic when I met my late wife 25 years ago next week. I bet I didn't drink two cases of beer in all the years we were married. She developed epilepsy after the birth of our oldest and couldn't drink after that. It wasn't fun doing it without her so I just stopped.

Some of the best beer in the world is made up here in Canada. Generally speaking Canadian suds is head and shoulders above anything made in the States. But I still drink the Yankee crap when I go out now. That way I can have two bottles and still stay sensible. The Canadian beer is delicious but it doesn't like me very much. Two pints of Rikard's Red or Carlsberg and I'm face down in my drool with a throbbing headache as soon as I come to. Yeah, I'm a lightweight. And maybe you will be too when you reach my age. Hopefully. A crappy beer diet has kept me thin and tough as a prairie fence.

from CamperGuy wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

in my drinking days, it was Makers Mark
and for a treat Basil Hayden
Woodford Reserve is another fine drink after most anything

from Trapper Vic wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

OH I used to fish lake manitou, Loved molson and labatt
(smokes - peter jacksons) those were the good ole days. 64 yrs old and haven't fished in 3 yrs. Own my own busness and bustin a** to keep it afloat.

from Greg Arnold wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Paul Masson 'Grande Amber'

from Big Bob W wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Chad, first things first, a quick look at BDW's partners lists QF and PF as well as those you mentioned. Now on to the questions of campfire drams and favorites. I am first and foremost a single malt man myself and my very favorite is Lagavulin 16 year old. Very pricy and a rare treat. I have enough left in the last bottle that my Brother-in-law gave me to celebrate when my Chocolate Lab Roux earns his HRCH title and his Master Hunter Title. One large dram for each event. It is better than Laphroaig because it does not have the heavy iodine smell or aftertaste, but has all the great smoky elements of an Islay Whisky.
For general sipping after a great day afield Bowmore is a great affordable Islay Malt. I am not opposed to fine Bourbon or Sour Mash and a good Canadian rye or Demamara Rum are fine options. Something smooth and relaxing to be enjoyed in moderation works for me.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Woodford Reserve is mighty fine bourbon, but I like the George Dickel No. 12, Tennessee sour mash. That "Tullahoma Dew" is tough to beat. If you only know Jack, you don't know Dickel.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Vic, which Lake Manitou would that have been? Must be dozens up here. Kokanee was my favorite and it's available here now. Moosehead was a close second but I think Coors took them over (sigh). I don't spoil myself very often.

from SpringFever wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

The Famous Grouse, as I am informed is the mainstay 'well Scotch' of the British Isles and if you can locate it in your part of the U.S., it is far and above the greatest daily indulgance for all Scoth Wiskey afficienados. Stepping up, you will never go wrong with the 10 year old Glenmorangie single malt and then for sipping on a conservative budget, the McCallan's 12 year old is your best bet. Yes, you can go more upscale but stay in this spectrum of Scotch Whisky's and you will enjoy the masterful creations of the still.

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Guns, whiskey, cigars, and women, there are lots of good choices if you choose carefully. I suppose I prefer the McCallan and Dickel. Unfortunately my feeling for Laphroaig is based on the description applied by Chad except I don't much like it. I will say that you can smell the peat so to each his own.

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Micro brew beers from Rochester, NY: Rohrbach's Highland Lager and/or Bluebeary Ale.

Like good home-brewed lagers, too.

from tkbone wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

I prefer alcohol on fruit to fruit in alcohol. Bourbon or brandy soaked peaches on the grill with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream! But I'd still give it a try!

from coachsjike wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

miller lite in a can aka the aluminum fruit.

from po2p7so wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

If I can't get my hands on some Knobb Creek, I'll take some Jack Single Barrell.

from Matt McKinney wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Jon, Mark and Robbo's vatted Scotch is a little gem that I can't seem to find anymore.

from Taobao agent wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I don't like it.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

jack daniels or crown royal

from Doggin It wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Big Bob W is right with the fact that Bird Dog & Whitetail Whiskey supports Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever's chapter banquet programs. In terms of taste, Bird Dog is a bit too cough syrupy for me, but the Whitetail version is pretty tasty and smooth. Go figure, the big game guys coming out ahead yet again... ha.

from JHabrial wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Around the fire I drink Sam Adams (Boston Lager, and whatever the seasonal brew happens to be) or Booker's Bourbon on the rocks, but I save my Glenmorangie and other single malts for my chair at home and quiet evenings.

from Broly1012 wrote 42 weeks 2 hours ago

Don't get me wrong, i love my single malt's and ect,
But when I go hunting with my friends, and some girls l'll bring something sweet like jack honey.
But bird dog get it done as well, i have had the peach and damn, it's tasty. It goes really well with skol cherry and honey. mmmmummmmummmm, call me weak, but this stuff is tasty for a heellllla cheap bottle, it is worth a try.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from dbenear1985 wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from nuclear_fisher wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from LWarren wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from CL3 wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Four Roses is up there with Woodford Reserve.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from Phil1227 wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

My favorit drink after a long hunt is crown royal.

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from ITHACASXS wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

A glass of dry red wine.

from The White Slug wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

My favorite beverage is the one in my hand. Hic....

from Greenhead wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from Puffy wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from Hannah Tuntland wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from sgtsly wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Jack Daniels Single Barrel

from Trapper Vic wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

OH, Bad beer an ugly women so that you don't get hooked??
You gotta taste the good stuff once in your life no matter what it is!

from Proverbs wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Oban.

from CamperGuy wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

in my drinking days, it was Makers Mark
and for a treat Basil Hayden
Woodford Reserve is another fine drink after most anything

from Trapper Vic wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

OH I used to fish lake manitou, Loved molson and labatt

from Greg Arnold wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Paul Masson 'Grande Amber'

from Big Bob W wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

from SpringFever wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Like good home-brewed lagers, too.

from tkbone wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

from coachsjike wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

miller lite in a can aka the aluminum fruit.

from po2p7so wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago