Reader Gun Dog Tip: Use a Frisbee to Keep Your Dog Steady to Wing

Man's Best Friend

August 16, 2012

Reader Gun Dog Tip: Use a Frisbee to Keep Your Dog Steady to Wing

By Chad Love

Getting a dog steady to wing, or at least introducing the concept, is something you might think requires resources that many urban and suburban gundog owners simply don't have access to: namely birds and land. But if you've got a frisbee, a check cord and a small patch of ground, here's a nifty tip from reader Jody Stonestreet to start getting your dog staunch.

Jody writes: I have discovered an easy training method for keeping my two year old Brittany "steady to wing." First I will throw a frisbee for him to chase a couple of times to get him excited. Next I will bring him to heel while he is on a 20 foot check cord. Then I give him the "whoa" command. I throw the frisbee directly in front of him. If he goes after it, I can correct him with the check cord. It doesn't take him long to get the idea. This is a good option when you don't have live birds available.

What a great tip! Anyone else use a frisbee to introduce steadiness in a young dog? Tell us how you do it. Congratulations, Jody, you're this week's Swedish Fireknife winner. I'll be in contact soon. And remember, if you've got a good training tip, send it in to fsgundogtips@gmail.com for a chance to win a cool Swedish Fireknife in our contest.

from BAM wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Any flying disc will work, it doesn't have to be a Frisbee(tm, Wham-0)
I prefer the Discraft UltraStar :)

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

If ya'll haven't submitted your tip yet you really should. These knives are pretty cool. Good handle, nice size, and the firestarter thing is pretty neat. Figure if I flip my duck boat, and I'm actually able to make it to shore, this thing might come in handy. The coolest part about the knife is the sheath is a clip on, so you don't have to wear it with a belt. I've been looking for a sheath knife that I can wear with my swimsuit and this is it. I get the feeling most of you have not submitted tips, mainly because my tip was pretty poor and I won. Must have been little to no competition.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I should get to work on my Britt pup with this. However, she seems to be doing pretty good at holding as the birds come in and out to the feeder above the back gate. I don't have any real problems getting her to come back in the field. My problem is she'll be hunting with the flushing labs this fall. Pearl (who was supposed to have died from cancer by now) is slowing up quite a bit at age eight so I think I'll work her behind the pup quite a bit of the time. Opal (the other lab) still has quite a bit of juice although she will point a bird if it will hold. And she won't flush it either. Have to do it manually. I'll see if I can keep her back while the pup works. I'm sure she'll honor the pup's point. We'll get lots of birds in any event. I'm not worried.

from RES1956 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

How do you submit a tip?

from RES1956 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

OK, I've got it.

from BAM wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Any flying disc will work, it doesn't have to be a Frisbee(tm, Wham-0)
I prefer the Discraft UltraStar :)

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago