700 Dogs to Compete in Master National Hunt Test in Alabama This Thursday

Man's Best Friend

October 16, 2012

700 Dogs to Compete in Master National Hunt Test in Alabama This Thursday

By Chad Love

If you live in the Alabama area and you've never attended a retriever hunt test, here's your chance to see some of the best hunting retrievers in the nation.

From this press release on the Outdoor Wire:

The M. Barnett Lawley Forever Wild Field Trial Area (FWFTA) in Hale County will host the Master National Retriever Club's 2012 Master National Hunt Test October 18-28, 2012. The Black Warrior Retriever Club (BWRC) of Alabama is the host club for the prestigious event.

The annual retriever hunt test event showcases the best hunting retrievers in North America, and more than 700 dogs are scheduled to be tested during the week...The field testing for the retrievers begins at 8 a.m. on Saturday, October 20, and culminates with the closing ceremonies on Sunday, October 28. The public is invited to watch the hunt tests to observe how retrievers respond to their handler's commands. Six different tests on both land and water will take place during the Master National, which is attracting retrievers, owners and handlers from all over the nation and Canada.

There are over 700 dogs entered in this year's Master National, and these dogs truly are the cream of the crop. To qualify to run at the Master National, a dog must have an AKC Master Hunter (MH) title, as well as having received six master passes in the past year at several of the many AKC hunt tests put on by local clubs across the nation. You can also learn more about the Master National and follow the event's progress on the Master National Retriever Club's homepage at masternational.com.

How many readers have run their dogs in a local AKC retriever hunt test? Know anybody running a dog in the Master National this week?

from RES1956 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

In Demopolis as I scribe this, motel rooms have been sold out for months. Some of the series I saw during this week were totally insane. A dog was lost last Friday due to heat stroke on a 450 yard cast and the resulting big hunt he put on. As a handler, I would never let him hunt for more than 5 minutes before calling the dog back to the line, with or without the bird. Odds are, if he did find the bird after a hunt that long, he would not be called back for the next series, so why gamble.
Other than that, it is a grand event, even though the dog I had in contention came in season and had to be scratched. Good luck to Dillard and all my other Alabama gang running big.

from RES1956 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

That handler in the photo looks an awful lot like the infamous Thad Simmons, and looks like a file photo from the SRS.
So who is it, inquiring minds want to know???,,,

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

None of that stuff going on around here as far as I know. I'm not much for crowds so doubt I'd enjoy. Just me and my dogs and the wide open spaces is all my little heart desires. To each their own.

from RES1956 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

@ Honker,
Some really amazing dogs and great handlers, I betcha you probably would like it.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

And I'd bet that after those 700 dogs go through the field, my old mutt would flush the bird hunkered down out in the middle of it. :)

from RES1956 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Clinchknot, I think the old adage, "Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt," should be adhered to more often by yourself.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

RES1556 Knowing you are around RES gives me solace that I will not win the award of fool of fools. You are a lock.

from RES1956 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago