Beware of Traps on Your Next Hunt

Man's Best Friend

October 24, 2012

Beware of Traps on Your Next Hunt

By Chad Love

Upland hunting seasons are now in full swing in many states, which means many hunters and dogs are out covering a lot of ground that may contain traps. And traps are bad news for dogs. It happens every season, and it happened again last week in Wisconsin when a grouse hunter's golden got caught in a wolf trap.

From this story in the Duluth News-Tribune
Fred Strand and his 1½-year-old golden retriever, Hank, were walking a trail near Brule last week when Hank stopped to check out a scent. “He was 20 or 30 feet ahead of me, sniffing the ground,” said Strand, of Iron River. “Immediately after that, he started yelping and barking like he was in great distress. I quickly figured out what the issue was.” Hank had been caught in a wolf trap, said Strand, who is a Department of Natural Resources wildlife biologist at Brule. The trap was a leg-hold trap with offset jaws, meaning that there was a gap between the jaws after it was sprung. Strand knew just what to do. He released the jaws enough that Hank could pull his foot loose.

According to the story, Hank was none the worse for the encounter, but if that had been a conibear type trap instead of a leghold, it could have been a very different story. Earlier this year I wrote a blog about the different styles of traps and how to extract your dog from them. I think the information and links in that blog are worth taking a look at again.

Here's a good explanation from Patrick Burns' Terrierman.com website on the various types of traps and how to extract your dog from them. Patrick also has an excellent and comprehensive explanation of the conibear here that I think should be required reading for all dog owners.

And here's an excellent video from Scott Linden Outdoor showing how to work a conibear trap.

Did anyone encounter a trap this fall? If so, was it a leghold or the dreaded conibear?

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I own and run a beagle.
He'll stick his nose into anything.
That is scary. Even knowing how to open the trap may not be enough if I don't know where a big running hound got to exactly.

from larson014 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

come on chad the "dreded conibear"?

where did you get that picture? at least in michigan a 330 conibear has to either be submerged in water or 4' up a tree, that simply is not the norm at least in my state (only smaller conibears can be placed like that that are too small to hurt a dog)that is the regs in my state and in many other states nearby...

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

This topic should be broadcast all over the airwaves. In my area of Idaho trappers can literally set dangerous bear type traps anywhere accept city parks and school properties!! I called on it, because I saw a guy setting traps in a city border area. An area where folks do day walks, bike ride etc. Scared the bejesus out of me, and then found out there was little that could be done about it. If they have a license they can put them in your, and your animals harms way.

from chadlove wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

To be honest, probably a poor choice of words on my part, Larson014. By "dreaded" I was thinking in terms of if your dog gets caught in one, because I'd much rather have my dog get caught in a leghold than a conibear.

And you're right: most states have regs about how and where you can set traps. Unfortunately, not everyone follows the regs and there's always the chance you'll stumble across an illegal trap set.

And really, I hope this doesn't devolve into a trappers versus dog owners thread, because as I've stated previously, I'm pro trapping. We need more trappers. But we also need to know what to do if our dog gets caught in a trap. That's the only point of the blog.

from s-kfry wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Don't worry, if you hunt in Colorado, unless your dog can get caught in a live trap, this can't happen to you. Some years back the brilliants citizens of my state thought it would be a good idea to outlaw trapping completely.

PS, if you can't feel my sarcasm just forget it.

from larson014 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

chad thankyou for clarifying, btw i am a trapper and i bird hunt too, i own a lab, so i understand your concern however it ills me to see perhaps misinformation and/or more bashing on trappers nonetheless from other "sportsman".

The thing is we need more trappers out there to protect all of our "game species" numbers to have a surplus for hunters to take,and it pains me to see people that dont understand this, we remove some predators so next years birds and deer have a better chance, we are doing everyone a service and we still get blasted by everyone

yes no one will stop someone from placing a 330 trap like that in the pic however no one will stop a bow hunter from shooting a dog thats runnin by "his tree" which i have heard of, however i have never heard of a dog getting killed by a conibear in MI, not saying it cant happen, just saying i would not worry about it.

yes every dog hunter should know how to release their dog from a foothold and yes even conibear, however footholds are designed to do just that hold the foot they are not designed to injure the animal in any way, it might be tramatic but their paws will be just fine, i let go a few early coon a year and when i first started i always checked their pads, their was never any kind of damage and they always ran off just as fast as ever...

from hawndog wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

larson014, I am glad that you are resposable in the way that you set traps. Not all trappers are. I have seen many dogs with amputated legs from traps. I nearly stepped in a conibar myself. The foothold traps that I am familiar with are designed to hurt the animal. I'm not against trapping, just against idiots.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from bruisedsausage wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I can't stand trolls...

Conibear traps typically kill and rather rapidly at that. Leghold traps aren't designed to cause injury. Please take a moment and educate yourself before spouting off.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsj-2o0ux14&feature=related

from larson014 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

hawndog please educate us on this foothold trap this is used and designed to hurt animals...

from rock rat wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

educational post, thanks all who contributed

from hawndog wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Like I said before, I am not against trapping. I use conibears myself.

from hawndog wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

well this site will not let me post the links about leg traps that I found I will try again later. or you can just look it up yourself.

I also wish that I could post pics of my dads dogs that were caught leg traps, and of the 3 legged dog that we still hunt with.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

The idea that we accept something that goes against a persons sense of values,...because they are on our side of the fence, and we need to stick together doesn't get it with me. I accept things on their face value.

from hawndog wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago
from larson014 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

hawn dog i am sorry about your dads beagle, however it seems that the beagle was trapped for a very long time, how long was the dog missing? also do you know what type of trap it was?

in my state we have to check our traps every 24 hours, and that bear trap is rediculous, in mi and i think every other continential us state (dont quote me) bear traps are illegal and all traps have to have smooth jaws.

those bear traps are a collectors piece that people like to hang in their homes, they are a replica of the ones used in the 1800's...

from hawndog wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

pics and videos are not mine they are internet pics, but they are very similar to what I have experienced. I cannot post my pics, they were done with 35mm camera.

It was a leg traps for all of mentioned dogs, cannot tell you size brand or anything like that. I was not the one that found them, but all cases were missing for several days.
I do not think that there is law, here in Alabama, that sets a time limit, for checking traps. I'm not 100% on that, but I'm pretty sure that is right.

I Know very little about bear trap laws, nothing really.
If they are illigal that is good, they are a danger to everything and everybody around.

I have no problem with trapping when done ethically. using traps that do not severly injure, and checking them regularly. What I have a problem with is spiked leg traps left for days or weeks, conibears set where anything can get caught in it, and so on.
Thank you for doing things the right way. and thank you for being civil.

hawndog, right from the alabama trapping regs:

"How often must traps be checked? All
traps set in or beneath water must be
checked at least once every 72 hours. All
traps other than water sets must be
checked at least once every 24 hours [9-
11-266]."

i think everyone can agree that we are all against illegal trappers/hunters/fisherman, what my point is that trapping is heavily regulated to prevent injury to dogs and other animals, target or incidental. of course it does not matter to those that make illegal sets what the rules are, they choose not to follow them.

my hypothesis is for your situation and it is speculation however for your dads beagle, it was not the trap persay that injured him/her, it was the illegal trapper who did not check his or her traps and did not tag them, its hard to say why or why not he or she did not check the trap, he or she could have died for all we know but thats besides the point, the beagle after being in the trap hurt himself by trying to escape which i probably would too in that situation, it was not the design of the trap but that particular trapper who is at fault, i hope we can agree on that...

right from the alabama trapping regs:

"How often must traps be checked? All
traps set in or beneath water must be
checked at least once every 72 hours. All
traps other than water sets must be
checked at least once every 24 hours [9-
11-266]."

my guess for your dads beagle hawndog is that since the dog was in the trap most likely for days,he or she probably injured itself trying to escape, which i would probably have done too in that situation as well.

i hope you can agree with me that the trap itself did not hurt the dog insofar as the illegal trapper was 100% at fault and is unexcusable. but it was the trapper not the traps fault or the design of the trap.

we can only hope that people follow the laws as they are written, however it is not the norm to disregard the laws like that and i can only promote the lawful activity of trapping and discourage the illegal activity through my posts, i hope any further encounters you have with trappers are in a more positive light, have a good day...

sry for the double post

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

this will likely become more common in wi with the wolf hunt going on.

personally i think if you are going to trap on public land there should be more strict regs and the land should be a certain size, at least a few thousand acres. private land doesn't need the stricter regs, other people shouldn't be there anyways

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Before my 4 years in Alaska, I didn't think much about trapping. While in Alaska I spent a many times freeing someones dog and what torqued me off more is Moose where getting caught in snares. I find a trap, it's belongs to me or I put a couple of 44 Mag rounds into it so trap ethically and wisely!

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from redfishunter wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I've said it once and I'll say it again. If someone traps my dog, that person very well might turn up missing.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from clinchknot wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

redfinder...I'm with you. The trapper just trapped a family member of mine.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from bounty1 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Great to read all the sensible comments from fellow trappers. Naturally you'll get your dumb ones like from the last 3.

from larson014 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

clay cooper, do you normally post your illegal acts on the internet?

from Nyflyangler wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

@larson014

Unless a LEO saw you do it or someone took a video, it didn't happen.

Personally, I'd go with thermite.

A little aluminum powder and a little iron oxide always get's the job done.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from bounty1 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Make that 4 dumb comments now.

from larson014 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

nice try nyflyangler, however he clearly confessed to all the world that if he finds a trap he will either steal it or destroy someone elses property and i would also go so far as to say that it would also be hunter harassment... nice to know where you stand in this issue... so you would also destroy private property... what sportsmen and women we have in this nice site...

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Hunter harassment? In no way are trappers hunters. And I'm with Coop, I find your trap I'll destroy it. My dog funds your trap, and someone will be finding you.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from bounty1 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

What do ya think of that Larson014? Now we not only have a thief posting comments, but now we're getting threats too. I think you anti-trapping, animal rights, tree hugging morons should stick ta reading your Cosmo.

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

traps are no longer someones "private property" once they are set out on public land

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from larson014 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

wisc14 really? so i can take your tree stand that you left out there???

bounty1 i think your on to something

from dighunter wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Some of these comments are ridiculous. If trappers are following the rules and regulations, then you have no right to destroy/steal someone else's property. Just because you don't like it doesn't give you the right to ruin there trapping. With that logic, the neighboring landowner should be allowed to ruin your deer hunting because he doesn't like it. Same logic. I trap and run beagles and have had to release my dogs from leg hold traps before. On every occasion, the dog went straight back to hunting, no worse for the wear.

from bruisedsausage wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

United we stand,...divided we fall.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

A lack of trapping has turned one of my favorite pheasant hunting grounds in Montana into a total mess this year. Damned beaver have wrecked the place. The price for their pelts is so crappy no one will bother with them. They are a blight in this part of the country right now. Back home in Ontario the trappers must take a quota every season or risk losing their govt authorized trapline. That's a great way of handling the problem. It never hurts for trappers to post warnings that they are trapping the area although few do.

from larson014 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

ontario, that would seem like a good idea to post the area in theory however in real life that is almost a sure thing that people will steal your traps, unfortunatly... as you can see by this blog, even other "sportsman" will steal your traps without any hesitation...

another thing people do not understand, is that because of the lack of trappers, there are government trappers that will help farmers through out the year to protect their livestock and crops, most people do not understand this part of farming, people think they are vegans and they dont hurt animals however unless they are grown in a biodome, trappers are there to protect those crops from being destroyed by coon and other species

from s-kfry wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

PS, if you can't feel my sarcasm just forget it.

from larson014 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

wisc14 really? so i can take your tree stand that you left out there???

from larson014 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

come on chad the "dreded conibear"?

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

bounty1 i think your on to something

from bruisedsausage wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

United we stand,...divided we fall.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I own and run a beagle.
He'll stick his nose into anything.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from chadlove wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from bruisedsausage wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I can't stand trolls...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsj-2o0ux14&feature=related

from rock rat wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

educational post, thanks all who contributed

from hawndog wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Like I said before, I am not against trapping. I use conibears myself.

from hawndog wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from hawndog wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from hawndog wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I Know very little about bear trap laws, nothing really.

Thank you for doing things the right way. and thank you for being civil.

hawndog, right from the alabama trapping regs:

checked at least once every 72 hours. All
traps other than water sets must be
checked at least once every 24 hours [9-
11-266]."

sry for the double post

from larson014 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

clay cooper, do you normally post your illegal acts on the internet?

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Make that 4 dumb comments now.

from dighunter wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from hawndog wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from wisc14 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

this will likely become more common in wi with the wolf hunt going on.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from redfishunter wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from redfishunter wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from clinchknot wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

redfinder...I'm with you. The trapper just trapped a family member of mine.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Nyflyangler wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

@larson014

Unless a LEO saw you do it or someone took a video, it didn't happen.

Personally, I'd go with thermite.

A little aluminum powder and a little iron oxide always get's the job done.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report