2013 Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic: SHOT Show for Gun Dog Owners

Man's Best Friend

January 24, 2013

2013 Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic: SHOT Show for Gun Dog Owners

By Chad Love

I attended SHOT Show for the first time last year. While I came away amazed by the spectacle of the show itself, I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed by the amount of dog and wingshooting-related items on display.

I didn't attend SHOT this year, but I did ask fellow blogger David Draper to keep an eye out for any new or interesting items while he was there. Unsurprisingly, David didn't find much dog-related stuff at this year's show, either. Garmin/Tri-Tronics, SportDOG and Dogtra released new e-collars this year (new collar round-up forthcoming) but the truth is, if you want to find gundog-related items and vendors, you're largely not going to find them at an event like SHOT.

You will, however, find them in spades at a show like the Pheasants Forever/Quail Forever 30th Anniversary Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic which is by far the nation's largest upland hunting and conservation event.

I've attended the past two events in Omaha and Kansas City, respectively, and I can say that Pheasant Fest is a must-see. It's like SHOT for gundog owners and bird hunters, minus the Elvis impersonators, surgically-enhanced booth babes and tactical zombies. In honor of Pheasants Forever's 30th anniversary, this year's show is being held in PF's hometown of Minneapolis February 15-17 at the Minneapolis Convention Center.

The bird dog parade is always an entertaining spectacle, and the seminar list for the three-day event is chock-full of great pro trainers and venerated legends in the bird dog world. And what's nice about it is attendees will have the opportunity to meet face-to-face with breeders, trainers, and dog kennel and club representatives. Pheasant Fest features the leading dog trainers and handlers in the country, including Bob West, Tom Dokken, Rick Smith, Ronnie Smith, and Delmar Smith.

So if you always wanted to meet a legend like Delmar Smith, you can do it here. I got the chance at last year's show, and it was awesome.

Intrigued by a particular gundog breed and would like to know more about it? Chances are the breed club will have a booth at Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic. Want to learn how to cook a pheasant without cream of mushroom soup? There will be cooking seminars from the likes of Hank Shaw and Georgia Pelligrini all weekend.

And if you're a landowner, or simply concerned or interested in habitat improvement or conservation, you'll have the chance to learn more than you ever thought you could. A complete exhibitors and seminar list can be found at the Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic website.

One really interesting new addition to this year's show is "The Gun Counter," which, for lack of a better term, is basically an "all things shotgun and wingshooting" segment where you can learn about new shotguns (and old) and tips on how better to shoot them.

From this press release from Pheasants Forever:
This portion of the show is an all-encompassing forum to learn more about the tools which bird hunters use in the field. “Most of our members’ commitment to wildlife habitat conservation originates in their passion for bird hunting. The new Gun Counter segment of Pheasant Fest allows avid bird hunters and gear junkies to learn about the wide array of shotguns, ammo and gear from the most well-known manufacturers in the hunting industry,” says Brad Heidel, Pheasants Forever director of corporate sales. Manufacturers like Browning/Winchester Firearms, Federal Premium Ammunition, and Winchester Ammunition will be giving seminars on the companies’ newest innovations and product lines. Following seminars, audience members will have the opportunity to participate in Q&A with manufacturers.  Representing the long history of American double gun manufacturing, the Parker and L.C. Smith Gun Collectors Associations will be present and giving seminars on these two classic American firearms. Throughout the weekend, seminars on how to refine and improve your upland shooting skills will be presented by expert wingshooters Tom Fiumarello & Patrick Flanigan.

If my schedule allows, I'm going to be there. Anyone else planning on attending this year's event?

from yanzi wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Asian dating --- Although sometimes will miss you, but there are too many reasons can not.... www.lilydating.com

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Damnit! Why couldn't they have had it down there two weeks earlier! I will be through Minneapolis at the end of the month on my way to Mayo Clinic in Rochester (my eyes again!). Nuts! So close. I might just consider it anyway. I can't think of anything I need except another shotgun (but I don't buy new guns for the same reason I never buy a new vehicle - dumb waste of money). It would be nice to meet some of the crowd that's sincerely trying to do something about saving bird hunting. And there's bound to be lots of dogs there. And the right kind of dogs. Not those little target practice things or bonehead rescue mutts that it seems every unattached woman must own these days (and a kayak of course). Seeing a bunch of real hunting dogs for a change would be fun.

from yanzi wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Asian dating --- Missed pass by, and still the best around. www.lilydating.com

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

you'd figure these asian dating people would at least come up with some spam that makes sense. And no go on the show. My vacation time is much better spent hunting or fishing than listening to people try to sell me more stuff.

from Phisher wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I'll try and get there being it's only 10 miles from my house unless I get sucked up into this asian dating spam.

from Scott Linden wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Hope you'll stop by my "quail camp," Chad, to say hello - booth #410-412. And everyone is invited to my daily seminars: "What the Dogs Taught Me" and "Go West, Young Man, for Quail."

from Ace088 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I will be there for sure would not miss it.

from Trapper Vic wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Also great seminars on maintaining and creating habitat for upland birds. I went to the 25th aniversary fest and learned alot about creating, preserving and conserving habitat!

from yanzi wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from yanzi wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Asian dating --- Missed pass by, and still the best around. www.lilydating.com

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Phisher wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Scott Linden wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Ace088 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I will be there for sure would not miss it.

from Trapper Vic wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago