National Field Trail Championship: Setter Takes Top Spot for First Time in 43 Years

Man's Best Friend

February 27, 2013

By Chad Love

The last time a setter won the National Field Trail Championship was in 1970, by a dog named Johnny Crockett. Since then pointers have dominated the annual event. Until now. This year's event was just won by a setter named Shadow Oak Bo.

From this story in the Memphis Commercial Appeal:
A moment that many people thought would never happen again finally took place Friday afternoon when a setter was named winner of the National Championship for Field Trialing Bird Dogs at Ames Plantation for the first time in 43 years. Shadow Oak Bo, an English setter owned by Georgia residents Butch Houston and Dr. John Dorminy, had seven finds and three backs during his run on the morning course Feb. 13. Some argued that the dog may have had as many as 10 finds, but the judges settled on seven — and that was enough for the dog to slip by the rest of the field.

According to the story, in addition to the usual cash, prizes and fame, Bo's owner also won a cool $17,000 for being the first setter to win it since Johnny Crockett. Congratulations to Shadow Oak Bo, and I bet someone's stud fee is getting ready to skyrocket...

from Pmacc60 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Hats off to all the setter guys out there,congrats to all!

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Absolutely hats off! I saw some very good looking setters in the pheasant fields this year....LLewellyn (sp?) Setters in particular, and hunted as well as their good looks.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I guess there's some hope yet for my French Brittany. The Lewellyn Setter is merely a variation of English Setter. As I recall some of the breeding clubs don't even recognize them as separate breeds (yet). I hear they have an absolutely wonderful disposition and make excellent family dogs as well as hunters.

from Clink83 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

"I guess there's some hope yet for my French Brittany."
Unfortunaly, the britts don't have the size or stamina to compete in the HB field trial world.

"Chad, is there some kind of high level national competition that pits these top papered dogs against all comers, including unregistered dogs, neutered dogs, etc.? That would be something that I would think would draw a lot of attention. At least it should."
You might like NSTRA, it's not breed specific, and a Britt is the top dog. You won't find any real competition for unregistered dogs though.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Thanks, Clink. Too bad there isn't a wide open competition. I'm thinking about a lot of recent experimentation cross-breeding different hunting dogs. Seems to me it would be more encouraging for the future development of hunting dogs in general to see some evidence of improvements outside the confines of registered gene pools. And that evidence is best verified in recognized competitions. Keeping "mutts" out of the high visibility competition loop does not seem to me to be very productive in that regard.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

They'd want to keep my "mutt" out of competition because of jealosy. :)

from FSU70 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Hunted quail today behind a Lewellyn Setter. Great dog and covered the ground. I'm a Lab man myself but have a great appreciation for all the hunting breeds.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

God Bless the English Setter....my breed. Where does it say it was a Lewellyn strain?

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Haverod, it doesn't. Clinchknot mentioned something in passing about the breed and it went from there.

from Pmacc60 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Hats off to all the setter guys out there,congrats to all!

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from Clink83 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

"I guess there's some hope yet for my French Brittany."

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

They'd want to keep my "mutt" out of competition because of jealosy. :)

from FSU70 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago