What's the Strangest Thing You Ever Found in the Field?

Man's Best Friend

February 19, 2013

What's the Strangest Thing You Ever Found in the Field?

By Chad Love

There are weird, spooky and unusual things out in the field. And it makes sense that hunters, especially upland hunters who tend to cover large amounts of ground while following their dogs, would find these unexplained things.

The dogs and I once stumbled across what appeared to be the contents of a lady’s purse in the middle of a huge swath of prairie, miles from the nearest town, road or footpath. How did it get here, in this utterly lonely and isolated spot that was rarely, if ever visited by anyone other than the occasional quail or deer hunter? Who knows?

But as I looked down at the weathered, dirt-covered items, I recalled an infamous local case about a young boy who simply vanished one day, never to be seen again. The boy’s mother was the prime suspect, and was later convicted of his murder, but a body was never found. I was a newspaper reporter back in those days, and covered the case from the time the boy went missing all the way through his mother's trial and conviction.

There was much speculation, of course, about where she had murdered her son and hidden his body, and much of it swirled around the very public hunting area on which I was now standing, staring down at the contents of a lady’s purse. My mind raced. Could this somehow be connected? Did she drop her purse, stumbling in the dark, and didn't gather everything that had fallen out before resuming her gruesome task? Probably not. There were numerous searches in the area, and nothing had ever been found to suggest such a scenario. But I still think about it every time I hunt that piece of ground.

What about you? Have you and your dogs ever stumbled across something strange, unusual or unexplained while out hunting?

from tneal1987 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

One of the wierdest things I ever found while hunting was an old Native American Burial site. There were possesions, bowls, arrowheads, and some jewelery, the body was long gone, but the artifacts were still there. It was neat but eerie at the same time to know that someone had died and been laid to rest there who knows how long ago.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

My dogs and I once came across an old abandoned ghost town farm house far out in nowhere while hunting sharptail grouse. We creaked open the front door, and heard this "rap-rap-rapping" sound coming from upstairs. We slowly climbed the stairs, and the noise was coming from inside a bedroom. We peaked in, and the bedroom was empty, but the sound was now much louder. ON the ceiling was a trap door to an attic. I found a wooden box out in the hall, got up on the box, and pushed the latch open. Now the noise was really loud. I pulled myself up, and into the attic. Over in the corner was a big chest, and the rap-rap, rapping noise was coming from inside the chest. I opened it up, and couldn't believe my eyes. It was a big roll of wrapping paper.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I located a very old safe off the banks of the MS River when the water was low. Very old, based on the design and some research I think its possible it had been in the water for a couple hundred years.

from ALJoe wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I have found my share of lost objects in the woods. I've found the occasional glove, arrow, and what not. Once I found a pair of binoculars that my hunting buddy had lost nearly two weeks earlier. Luckily they were fine. I once stumble across what appeared to be an old rusted out moonshine still. As for bass fishing on a boat in the summer, well that's a different story and a different forum. I've seen young ladies doing things that would make their daddy's frown.

from skerhunter wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Once we found a really nice pheasants forever backpack while bird hunting...it was full of dirty mags, videos, and underwear.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I was smallmouth fishing along the Clinch River in SWVA with a friend, where we were it was a nice set up because you would fish up the river and then walk next to the railroad tracks back to the car. Well we had waded a good few miles farther down the river than normal, and decided to cut overland to the road and walk back that way because the river had turned away from the tracks by that point. As we made our way through the brush we discovered a 1940's Chevy 4 door sedan on it's top, which had obviously been there awhile, and was definitely wrecked. Creepy part was from the terrain it appears that this car had gone over an embankment of the older road at some point, there was nothing inside, just makes you wonder if whoever wrecked that thing was ever found...

from bkparker09 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

While quail hunting in South Texas we came across a back pack that had been dropped by an illegal immigrant. It contained a couple of strange looking bottles and a bag of wipees along with some other miscellaneous items that would be useful. Unfortunately nothing crazy was in the bag.

from Moose1980 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

A burnt out car with charred hand bones still attached to the steering wheel at the end of a logging road. Not sure if it was a prank, but didn't really examine it that closely!

from firedawg wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

While turkey hunting in North Georgia on my buddy's farm, we couldn't walk up a creek drainage without stumbling on a destroyed moonshine still. They were all extremely old and had axe holes all the way around the barrels. It was pretty cool, to see that there was some truth to some of the tall tales that his grandad told us about his running shine all through those hills to TN, NC and SC.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Meth lab!

Prior to my wife and my marriage we spent a long weekend in Gatlinburg, and one day we decided to hike up to MT. Leconte 5+ mile trek through some beautiful forest. Once we got maybe around 1/2 way up we stopped at somewhat of a lookout and ate lunch there peering off at the Great Smoky Mountains when my now wife asked me what all the tiny white spots where on the trees below us. I was puzzled so we continued on walking when I noticed more white splotches on the trees below us in a different area. I was curious but I had to first go #1 when I looked for a tree to go behind just in case someone came by thats when I found a perfectly placed tree for a nice private restroom break and found womens femanine products thrown all around and toilet paper laying all around, at that moment I realized those white spots were feminine products wrapped in toilet paper launched off the side of the mountain landing in the trees below! Truly disgusting! I really hope no tourist was walking under them when they decided to launch it off the side of a mountain.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Here is a mystery I don't think have mentioned before.
As a teenager, was hunting mule deer up in the high lonesome at about 8000 feet many miles from a road. Had sat down to enjoy a break and a lunch sandwich . Noticed a piece of metal sticking out of the side of a dry wash below me. Curious I slid down and dug out a completely rusted Winchester 73 even the forearm and stock rotted away. As I scrambled back to my daypack and lunch I noticed a knife grown into the crotch of a tree. It was not like a modern hunting blade, just an old knife also with a rotted handle...my Father and I brought the sheriff back to the scene and we chopped out the knife letting it remain in the overgrown wood. We unsuccessfully attempted to trace the relic firearm. County records were no help, and there were no local legends. Wonder what happened there?

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Here's a story that could relate. I was once a WA ST. firearm safety instructor. I was provided many a detailed account of how hunters were killed in WA St.while hunting. One area, the Blue Mts. area the state had good reason to believe that some of the deaths were murders. There were way too many in that area for it to be just accidental deaths. And they also suggested that if someone wanted to commit a murder a hunting death would more than likely be the best way to get away with it.

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I was hunting elk in Wyoming and had paused for a moment to glass a nearby hillside. Afterwards while I was putting away my binos I glanced down the hill and into the thick timber and about 20 feet away was a dead mule. It had very new shoes on and couldn't have been there more than a week as the eyes had not even rotten out yet. It wasn't scary or anything, but I definitely wondered what the story was and felt for the poor sap who had to pack his own saddle down off the mountain.

from Chuck Lannen wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I was walking in the gunpowder falls state park in md. I was in an area of about 2000 acres. I was walking up this hill and looked down and found a timex watch with the band rusted off. I wound it and it worked!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from bounty1 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Way back in a swamp behind our farm is an area I always say the Devil owns. It is pure Hell. And back in there sits a 4 burner wood cook stove. Not another human anything around or near it. My dad says' "I'd like to see that." Well, there's no way he's going back there and no way I'm bringing it out. Sorry dad. If I think a little I'm sure I could come up with others, but that one sticks in my mind.

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

My neck of the woods used to be completely cleared farmland about 150 years ago. It’s all grown back into mixed pine groves and hardwoods since then. As a result, we find all sorts of weird stuff out hunting. Along some old logging trail I happened to find a couple of old whiskey bottles from about 1900. There are also quite a few artifacts around from farmhouses that have long since vanished. There is an old well in one spot, and a century and a half year old foundation in another. There are 1800’s era wood stoves strewn about the place, few old wells, and even the long rusted out hulks of model A and T Fords. Like many places in New England, the whole area is crisscrossed by granite walls that have seen several centuries. One thing we also seem to find a lot is old cemeteries. Each family that farmed here had a family plot, and there are a few lone graves scattered around. One is even from the Revolutionary War Era. My Uncle also swears he found an unmarked rock pile grave out there somewhere…

from circlingspirit wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I remember when I was 14 me and my dad were out hunting for bullfrogs and we had been driving down an old railroad track bed where the rails had been long removed, I'd say were were probably 5 maybe 6 miles down this track bed and came upon on old wood sided 2 story house with shutters on its windows that was easily over 100 yrs old by the style of its construction...it sat in the middle of a fairly small meadow that I assume had been cleared for the building of the house seeing how the complete drive to that point had been dense forest all the way. I remember asking my dad to stop so we could check it out so he pulled off the track bed in what looked like a an old driveway and drove to within 40 feet of the house. I got out and dad said that with a house this old a good chance the floors might be rotten so don't go rushing in there...what happened next has stayed with me to this very day!! I remember it was a very sunny warm day, no wind at all, and very quiet...as I approached the house and was 10 feet from the front door the old screen door barely hung on its hinges swung open and stopped in the open position, there was maybe a 5 second pause and it slammed shut so hard I could hear the echo from off the trees around us and then almost instantly all the shutters from the windows I could see started slamming open and closed and I mean really fast....I was so scared that when my Dad was hollering for me to get back in the truck he sounded miles away, I remember running back to the truck and my dad hollering at me to get in as he already started backing up and as I got in I could still see and hear those shutters slamming open and closed...as my Dad was pulling a dukes of hazard drift with his old chevy truck as he came up the driveway onto the track bed I looked at him and his face was white as snow and I could tell he was scared...first time and last time I ever saw that look on his face..as we started flying down that road I took one last look and things were still banging.
A few miles down the road my Dad made me promise I would never go back there again and when I asked him what happened back there he just said " the world is full of spirits, some good and some bad and that house is home to some bad ones it looks like. Needless to say we never went down that old trackbed again and it was many years before we ever talked of it, when we did it still made us shiver thinking of what we saw and experienced.We never went hunting bullfrogs after that.

from blue ridge wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

The oddest thing that I ever found was a clock. I was rabbit hunting about a mile from the nearest house when I came across a clock. The clock was 18" in diameter, battery operated, and it was keeping time.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

My brother went with me only once on one of my backcountry horse trips into the wilderness of NW Montana. It was nearly thirty years ago and we were on a good elk set of tracks in thin snow heading up a long ridge towards a fire lookout that is now gone (I think). We had rocks in our heads for being up that high that late in the season as it would have been extremely risky shooting even a fawn deer so far away from the road (I have had trouble getting myself, horses, and camp out that late in the year). Anyway, it was late in the afternoon when we stepped out onto an open spot with quite a panorama in front of us. Then the glint of something bright and artificial caught my eye on the opposite ridge at least a half mile away. It was in a small patch of dead lodgepole pine. "Mike, can you see that?" "Yeah." "Whataya think it is?" "Don't know." "Pretty weird. Maybe we should find out. Makes more sense than chasing these elk any further up the mountain." "Yep." So I took a bearing on some features near the object, we both made note of them, and took off down into the canyon and then back up the other side. We didn't hit the spot coming up the other side but didn't take too long to find the dead trees. In the middle of them we found a perfectly intact jet fighter canopy from about early sixties vintage! It had the plane's numbers on it and I jotted them down using my elk tag for paper and the tip of a pointed soft point 30-06 bullet for writing pencil. All I can remember is it had the number "220" (as in .220 Swift) in the sequence. This was in the days before GPS coordinates, unfortunately. By then it was getting late so we headed back down the ridge towards the USFS trail to my horse camp. On the way I found a beautiful 6 pt elk shed. Just one though, which is a bit odd because big bulls like that will often reach up and hook the other antler with front leg and pull it off rather than run around with lop-sided weight stuck to their noggin. Moose almost always leave both antlers on the ground together. It was a hassle getting that antler back down because it was too big for my day pack and meant carrying antler in one hand and gun in the other while downhill negotiating a very steep and rocky ridge. When we got home I gave it to my dad. He cut off the button and commissioned a local artist friend to do scrimshaw and make it into a belt buckle. Much to his surprise and disappointment, the young fella carved an ornate elk head in bugle attitude. It is so delicate Dad could never wear it! The rest of the antler was given to my uncle who made it into three crib boards for himself, dad, and dad's best friend. My cousin Betty Linda still has one of them. My dad's crib board and his buckle are still in the family home (well they better be or I'll burn my brother's girlfriend at the stake!).

So, what's the story with the jet canopy? Unfortunately, as soon as we returned to camp, it started snowing hard and wet. We tried hunting the next day but it was just too miserable and too risky. In the meantime I got thoroughly drenched and the numbers I had written on the waterproof paper elk tag rubbed off. I never was able to report it. I was up there fishing this past summer and ALL of that beautiful forest has succumbed to pine beetle (part of the natural cycle) so picking out the spot of dead trees again on the hillside today would be impossible. Everything is dead up there now. I did hear about a jet fighter from Malstrom Air Force Base in Great Falls that disappeared and was presumed to have crashed in either of two very large lakes in NW Montana. I did get a map out once and plotted the location of the fire lookout with respect to one of the large lakes and the air base. Bingo! Right in line! Did the pilot bail out and was never found in the woods? Or did the canopy fly off inadvertently leading him to crash? Or did it even belong to the same plane? An unsolved mystery!

from missedit wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

My sons father was hunting in the mountains in AZ and found a car thar had a hose going from the exhaust to front wlndow, the guy was dead.
He got a hold of the police and they took it from there.

from Blue Ox wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Circlingspirit,
How am I suppposed to go to to sleep now after reading that?!

from Dick Landon wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

A good many years ago, on the banks of the fabled Beaverkill, I found a few pages of a lost or possibly just discarded manuscript under some alders. The pages appeared strewn about in that haphazard yet determinedly dogged, almost motorized pattern known as "willy-nilly." One sad page read as follows:

"Ed Zern had a rube on his hands and what the rube was doing there was faintly disturbing. But anyways, old Zern was telling THIS story to his editor, the steady, always unflappable Mr. Stearns. "Why Stearns, old pal, just last week I was telling a stiff and rather boring acquaintance about fishing for swordfish deep along the eighty fathom curve. And I told the terrible fellow, due to the shifting, heavy current, I just couldn't keep the bait down. I said to him how I went from a two pound weight to a five, and when this didn't hold, I tried a small anvil as I refused to be horsing around any longer. And when even this amount of good Pittsburg steel was not enough, I explained to the fellow how finally I tied to the heavy leader an old sewing machine I kept on the boat for such darn, stubborn, intractable situations.
"Was he going for it, Ed?" asked the always dependable Stearns. "Was the poor rube falling it?"

"Going for it?" exacted old Zern. "Falling for it? Why, the poor, foolish man swallowed it entirely, hook, line and SINGER."

There may have been more to the manuscript but having read enough, I failed to see the point of a continued search.

from vtbluegrass wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Its not that odd but there is a foundation from an old old old home in the National Forest where I hunt every year. Its really a collection of rocks now but you can still see the basic layout of the home. Its is such a good deer hunting spot that a trail is pretty well blazed to the flattest good sitting rock in the pile. I just always wonder when I hunt there how many deer have been killed from was is essentially the front steps of an old home.

from woodpecker wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

About the strangest thing I've ever come across in the wild was an old model A car fender. My buddy and I were going to a place called Mica mine, it's quite a ways from anywhere, deep in the adirondack's. It was pretty rusty, but the strange thing was,there's no way anyone could have drove anywhere close to where we found it and I just can't imagine anyone toting it that far. Guess I'll never know?

from MICHMAN wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

While retrieving a warthog in South Africa we came across what appeared to be a fence post that was 2 1/2 feet in diameter and about 4 feet high firmly planted into the ground. There was no other post or fencing and it was in an area covered in brush. Ironically, after being shot the warthog made it's death run straight into the post and bouncing off it and dying a few feet from the strange man-made object.

from Dan Lewis wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I found a flock of freshly killed diver ducks in a sugar beet field where I was hunting pheasants. It had been a foggy morning, and they had apparently gotten up off a nearby pond and flown into the overhead 40 KV power lines between transmission towers. I came in with a couple of pheasants and most of a limit of ducks!

from joshperry3 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

My brother and I were squirrel hunting in eastern KY one time on a friends farm. The friend also owned the creek bottom land across the road. We had gone in the woods on top the hill right at daylight, waiting for the squirrels to start stiring. On our way out that afternoon, across the road in the creek bottom, was a huge pile of Blue and White balloons laying in the bottom. It was large enough to hide a full size pickup truck behind it. The only thing we could figure out was that the University of Kentucky had a football game the night before and they must have released them. That is about 100 miles from where we were hunting!

Our friend asked us if we could help him out trying to get rid of him. We obliged him by opening fire on the mass of balloons with #6 squirrel shot from our 12-gauge shotguns. Rather fun to do actually, now that I think about it!

On a separate hunting trip with my father in eastern NC, we stumbled upon an entact old moonshine still. It was all laid over on its side, and hadn't seen any service for many years, but it was still in one piece! My dad said that he had heard of people running shine in that area when he was a kid (about 55 years earlier) but that he had never seen proof till that day. Not too rare I guess, but pretty cool none the less!

from canvasbackhunter wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

This year i stumbled upon a drug lab site. The first thing i did was check around me in case they were close, then called the cops. They never found them.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

It was the end of October. We were hunting woodcock one last time. I pulled halfway down the dirt road and pulled over. My buddy and I set the dogs out on each side of the road. As we rounded the bend we saw a smashed up vehicle with blood everywhere.No bodies, just blood.We called the local police and the cop asked where we were. When I told him, he started laughing. It turns out the fire department in town had used the road as a Halloween Fright Walk the night before. The car and blood were part of the display. He said the fire department had removed everything else earlier and they were waiting for the tow truck to pick up their wreck and return it to the junk yard.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

A grizzly bear collar and on another occasion a 100 yard or so length of flying light blue colored butterflies or perhaps moths at about 10,000 feet.

from Steward wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Picked up a wallet once in the path at a public-use area. It had keys attached, but noone was in the parking lot. I finally turned it in to the police, and when the officer opened it and looked at the driver's license, he said, "Oh,...him." Probably not a good sign.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Back in the late 70s Dad and I were driving to my favorite elk hunting mountain when we spied a fancy fleece-lined hunter orange vest lying in the old Forest Service road. I jumped out and picked it up. Started going through the pockets as we were driving on. One side had a large bag of grass and the other pockets were filled with various pain-killing and anti-depressant drugs prescribed to several different people. Dad said we should turn it over to the cops. Having formerly been one I said that wouldn't do any good because no way to prove we didn't put the stuff in the vest. After a while he said "I think we should try to find that guy." What? Gees, what for? "So we can pound the sh*t out of that goofy doper sumbich!" Heh, heh! I tossed the drugs and dope out the window but I still have the vest.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Ontario,
Think I ran into that guy, crawling up the trail muttering to himself about being cold.

from bscrandall wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

The weirdest thing I ever found was in a 100+ year old graveyard that had big rocks for tombstones. As a circled around a tree looking for squirrels, I saw a pile of bones! The first thing I thought was that, somehow, a grave had been uncovered. Turns out, a nearby landowner had a pet great Dane die. He drug it into the woods and it was eaten by the local coyotes.

from thebiggesttreei... wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Hooked a prosthetic leg while fishing in the Potomac near Harpers Ferry WV. Terrifying when it first broke the surface, relief when it turned out to be plastic.

from JakeHand wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

My grandfather was fishing up in Ontario, his rod fell out of the boat while heading out one day. The next year he returned to fish the same area again. He snagged a rod out of the water, but it wasn't his!

from omarfishesalot wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I was pulling the elmer fudd with a friend in the motherland when I stubbed a toe on what appeared to be a hunk of junk metal. after sum digging in the sand fora bit it turned out to be just a small portion of a larhe world war two tank.

from omarfishesalot wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

* some
* large
my bad everyone

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Fly fishing on Sandy Creek in NY. Kept hearing tinkling wind chimes. Looked up over my head to gaze at a tree limb that musta had $500 in spinners hanging in a clump.

from Ncarl wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I found a slug laying right on top of the leaves like someone had set it there wile looking for blood from a deer I shot. Not strange or spooky but truly amazing when you think about it.

from Matthew Matzek wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Not really weird just interesting: While rabbit hunting this Sunday, my brother, our cousin, and myself came across an old farmhouse on my grandfather's land. We knew it was there because we pass it all the time headed to hunting stands it's easily visible through the trees from the trail. Well the dogs went that way so we weren't far behind. When we got over there we peeked inside, only the eastern and western walls were solid. Suddenly, a quail flew out. This was kind of expected as my grandfather raises and realeases quails for hunts. We then saw several different kinds of tracks in the dirt: quail, rabbit, squirrel, and coyote. We saw coyote scat and an old old mattress that had been ripped up and we could see how something would come and bed down on it, probaby that cotote. It's just interesting how animals have used it as a home since human habitation ceased

from godscountryboy wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

On my first deer hunt last year, walking down an old dirt road in the back hills of AZ, next to an old creek, under the shade of a big old tree, was an old rusted bed spring with an old metal bed frame.
Me and my hunting pal decided it was a deer bedding for sure. :D
But seriously, who hauled that out by the side of the creek?

from Mathiashunter wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

A couple of years ago I was scouting for elk and whitetails in some pine hills when I came across a fairly large, new animal noose restraint pole laying on the ground in some creeping juniper type brush. Not all that strange except it was about a 1/4 mile off the road in some really rough country where there is no way any type of truck or atv could get to. Kinda made me wonder just what they were checking on or going out that far and releasing. I left it there just in case somebody came back for it. I might go back this summer and see if it's still there.

from Bellringer wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Tornadoes often pick up and drop various things far from roads.

from Joe Sixpack wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Must have been about 10 years ago that I accepted an invitation to a bucks only hunt at a private club located in the Atchafalya swamp of south Louisiana.
I was in a climbing stand one evening watching some does peacefully browsing while hoping for a buck to show up.
Suddenly, all 4 does perked up their heads and intently stared at something further back in the woods. I could hear something approaching and followed its progress in my direction by watching the does turn to follow the source of the footsteps.
I got excited expecting to see a buck but nothing ever showed as the footfalls got closer and closer. The wind was in my favor and I suddenly became aware of an overpowering stench that nearly made me gag.
The footsteps seemed to pass directly below my tree and the does kept turning their bodies to follow something unseen in my direction.
Finally, the noise faded away and so did the strong odor. The does went back to feeding but I was feeling very uneasy and decided to go back to camp earlier than usual. I told my host about it and he just laughed saying that you have to expect things like that while hunting in the swamp.
I didn't find it too funny and never went back to that property again.

from sasquatch wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

When i was a 11 my buddy and i were out shooting with bb guns, we found an old autobody shop with a bunch of old cars all over grown... we were dumb kids and shot out what was left of the windows and headlights, also found an old beer stash nearby which also turned into a shooting arcade.

another time walking the woods behind my grandma's (on my moms side) found a giant pencil drawn portrait hanging from a tree... looked like a portrait made of my dad when he was 5... long before my parents ever met

from sasquatch wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

six pack i just noticed that i was the next one to post right after that story lol

from 2Poppa wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

This past year while hunting deer in Kentucky, I walked down this path and saw something metallic on the ground by my foot. It appeared to be silver that had been melted and poured on the ground.
I hunt a WMA and I'm miles from anyone. How did the metal get hot enough to melt where I had picked it up? Why was it poured on the ground?

In the same WMA I found an old homestead that had a well about 18 feet deep. My buddy and myself took a look into the well and saw two computer modems that someone had tossed in. I thought that to be a little strange that someone would go to all of that trouble.

from Jere39 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

While deer hunting probably 40 years ago in state forest in northern Lycoming County, PA, my dad and I found a very old bear trap. It was quite rusty, already snapped, but still very well staked down. We went back the next day with a shovel from our camp and dug up the stake and took the trap home. Makes a nice conversation piece. I never figured out how long it had been since bear trapping in PA was legal, so I'm not sure how long it might have been there.

from usahuntingblinds wrote 1 year 4 weeks ago

We have came across a few ancient indian sites before. When we were hunting up in Minnesota we also came across an old logging camp from the late 1890's it literally looked as if they just up and left one day. A lot of their equipment was just left there. It's always great finding interesting things out on a hunt.

www.usahuntingblinds.com

from ChrisUng wrote 47 weeks 1 day ago

When I was in high school, I used to bow hunt an old reverted cattle farm in the eastern suburbs of Pittsburgh, PA. The land was riddled with ATV trails and saw a fair amount of hunting pressure, but there were always some dandy bucks roaming the area. One year, I just kept getting a very creepy feeling everytime I hunted my stand on the hillside below one of the old farm houses. It felt like I was being watched... It got bad enough that I stopped hunting there for the archery season. Later that year, during the gun season, I happened to walk through the area while on a deer drive. In the stairwell of the foundation to the old home, I found evidence of someone living there. There was a sleeping bag, blankets, toiletries and some clothing. I gotta wonder if this unfortunate soul was the cause of my uneasiness...

from TinEagle wrote 42 weeks 1 day ago

Walking along an old logging road I saw bunches of white fuzzy material. Picked one piece up and it was synthetic, like the stuffing of a cheap winter coat. Kept seeing more and more off to one side of the road so I walked towards where it was thickest. About 20 yards from the road I found a blue, 70s vintage toilet with a big stuffed Teddy Bear sitting on it that the birds other critters had decided to cannibalize. Laughed my tail off. Guess bears do sh*t in the woods. Someone sure had a warped sense of humor.

from cervenvolley wrote 26 weeks 4 days ago

My brothers and I found a couple small meth labs in central Illinois, but after I moved to Maryland, I found what looked like an old abandoned apartment building. The building had 6 apartments made of cinder blocks. My buddy and I took a look around and found some drug paraphernalia scattered around one of them.

from John Lowder wrote 16 weeks 5 days ago

About two years ago on my vacation I was hunting on a buddy's land for whitetail I was the only one hunting because everyone else was at work. They have about 500 acre's and I'm in the middle of it sitting on the edge of a cut over in my tree stand. All of a sudden I hear a chainsaw going off it really startled me because I was the only one supposed to be there and the only one with permission I could tell it was coming from on the land. So I climb down the stand after lowering my 30-06 down. And walk up the trail to a dirt road that cut's through that is when I spot a black van sitting there. In the distance. I start heading towards the van in pretty dense thicket and as im getting closer the chain saw is getting louder. When I get about 15 yards away I can tell the chain saw is coming from inside the van. So I creep over to the van and it has the big windows on the side and I can see a guy with a chain saw in his hand with a women pinned down on the floor and he has got the chain saw up above her and she is struggling. So i go over and open the slide the sliding door open. It is a bloody mess in there he has already cut her two legs off. I order him to put the chain saw down which he refuses at first and kind of lunges at me with the chainsaw a little I click the safety off and told him kill the chain saw or I would kill him he finally obliges. I see some rope in the van so I hog tie him up. Tying his hands and feet then tying them together. I run to my truck and get my cell phone out and call the police. They come and arrest the man and told me I saved the womens life etc. About 6 months later it's time for court and of course im required to go. The women and me explain the events and all and after her testimony the judge smacks the gavel on the bench and says case dismissed. The lady is hysterically crying and says why judge why judge. He says look lady you don't have a leg to stand on case dismissed.

from circlingspirit wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Here is a mystery I don't think have mentioned before.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Dick Landon wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from ALJoe wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Moose1980 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from tneal1987 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from firedawg wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from blue ridge wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Circlingspirit,
How am I suppposed to go to to sleep now after reading that?!

from joshperry3 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Meth lab!

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from missedit wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

He got a hold of the police and they took it from there.

from vtbluegrass wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

my bad everyone

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from Ncarl wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from Matthew Matzek wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from godscountryboy wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Me and my hunting pal decided it was a deer bedding for sure. :D
But seriously, who hauled that out by the side of the creek?

from Mathiashunter wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

from Bellringer wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

Tornadoes often pick up and drop various things far from roads.

from Joe Sixpack wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago

I didn't find it too funny and never went back to that property again.

from sasquatch wrote 1 year 7 weeks ago