A Lush Launch to a New Season

It’s the end of August, but my lawn is growing as fast as it was in early June. Grass in these parts ought to be dry and crunchy by this time of year, but instead, it and pretty much every other piece of area greenery is thick and lush. I haven’t seen a wetter, cooler summer, and it seems especially foreign compared to the droughts of 2011 and 2012.

In many ways, the conditions have me especially excited for a new deer season in the Mid-South. My food plots have never looked better. Row-crop farmers are counting on big yields, and the woods are full of browse. It’s hard to get a handle on the mast just yet, but judging from what I’ve seen while squirrel hunting this past week, there are plenty of acorns on the trees.

Reports of EHD have been few and far between, and that’s a welcomed change. I’ve been running trail cameras since late June, and does with twin fawns seem especially abundant this year, The summer – which kills far and away more southern deer than any winter – has been easy. And bucks, like the one in this trail camera video I pulled the other day, are looking fat and happy.

Of course, all that food and water can make the actual hunting difficult. I’ve killed deer over water holes in the early season, but that strategy will be a lost cause this wet year. And although the fields are full of food, so are the woods. The majority of a deer’s diet still consists of mast and browse, and when they’re feeding on that stuff, it’s tougher to see them.

What will the rut bring in 2013? It’s impossible to say right now. Bucks should be in prime fighting weight, though. Hopefully this trend of cool weather will continue. Prior to that, I’m predicting a tougher-than-normal early season. Kentucky hunters took to the woods September 1 last year, but we open a full week later this year. The odds of killing a velvet buck (my wife, Michelle, lucky little scamp that she is, has gotten one the past two years in a row) are much smaller this time around. Moreover, as soon as that velvet is shed, the patterns tend to change.

But there’s plenty of time to worry about all this. A brand new deer season is just days away. Your only real worries should be making freezer space and tuning your broadheads.

Key Upcoming Mid-South Dates:

Kentucky bow opener: September 7

Tennessee bow opener: September 28

North Carolina Bow Openers: September 7 (Eastern, Central, Northwestern Zones); September 9 (Western Zone)

from bscrandall wrote 32 weeks 1 day ago

I live in northwest Georgia and I've never seen the grass so green in early Sept. Although I don't bow hunt, bow season opens here on September 14.

from Twinsarchery wrote 32 weeks 20 hours ago

I'm ready for Saturday here in NC. Scent free and pumped!

from Twinsarchery wrote 32 weeks 20 hours ago

I'm ready for Saturday here in NC. Scent free and pumped!

from Blowfly basher wrote 32 weeks 20 hours ago

"does with twin fawns seem especially abundant this year",

One of the several possibilities is survival is threatened.I know the others, I studied genetics in ag science. What some of you see as 'vast numbers' isn't survival quantity.

"bucks, like the one in this trail camera video I pulled the other day, are looking fat and happy".

Can't have that!...happy?? ..phew!!, happy..??...can't allow that to go on too long..!!...Hang on isn't seeing 'happy' something which gives pleasure just to watch?

So..why shoot them? "because I can" ..."because I'm a hunter-gatherer"..yeah right!...yaaawwwwnnnn! "I am a conservationist and as nature doesn't know how I am doing its job"...yeah right!...yaaawwwwnnnn!

Some people have to hunt to survive...but that's a very tiny number of shooters...Unfortunately unlike fish caught in line net or trap which you can release comparatively unharmed, you can't shoot deer and then let them go...although the lousy shooters which I venture to say are the majority by far will see many suffer even escape to live or die crippled and or in pain.

Why not develop camera skills and introduce a beautiful wall photo in large dimensions for less than the costs of a cheap rifle for a good camera and lens and less than half packet of 30.06.for an enlargement.Vastly more people can enjoy that living beauty far more than a set of dead antlers on your wall.

I still own my Africa nitro calibres including black powder doubles and am defensive about my rights to own them and my concealables even for no other eason than I want to however I think killing has increasingly become a diseasewhich 'civilised' countries are succumbing to as "habitual", the solution to everything, even welcoming as hypochondria.

Perhaps we dedicated weapons owners could show the world good example and leadership in that we can actively break the killer mentality in our area and pray that that self discipline and sacrifice could be noted and followed by killer governments and assassination regimes.

For them it's a sport too and they are full of excuses too...provoke, arm, finance religious fanatics/ terroists/ genocidal regimes/ false-flaggers in the 'great game of operation petticoat and totalitarian 'democracy'on the way to globalised serfdom and universal government then "we do not negotiate with....... (fill in the next word)" and then apply the mantra that 'we kill to protect YOU'.

Yeah right...yaaaaawwwnnn...pull the other oe it plays jingle bells...you kill for the New Order and its financiers and their profiteering and political expansionism..and because you like killing.

I'd like to see "I killed" become not something worthy of admiration and maybe self discipline and as I said, sacrifice by firearms owners who kill, might start a change of focus elsewhere....maybe to "I saved by not killing" Voila.

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from Blowfly basher wrote 32 weeks 20 hours ago

ERROR in my previos letter ...I meant operation PAPERCLIP , not Operation petticoat...There's a massive difference...and MK Ultra is a component of Paperclip. Mea Culpa....Voila

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from daveyn wrote 32 weeks 19 hours ago

Go to school, learn how to put a sentence together, post some coherent thoughts and then you might be taken seriously.

Looking forward to a great deer season, they are all good no matter what the conditions are like. The fun is in the anticipation and the preparation. I can't wait.

from Mi guy wrote 32 weeks 5 hours ago

I live up here in Michigan . Bow season doesn't open till October 1st for me . The grass is green , but it is already feeling like fall here. The mornings are are wet and cool. The trees are changing colors and some leaves have already began to fall. I love this time of year . Just hope I don't have to shovel snow at deer camp this year . "Give a guy a little luck and anything will do for brains"

from dudleyhow wrote 32 weeks 3 hours ago

Blowfly you need to go back and learn how to write.All that talk amounts to bs.It seems that you are against all that America stands for.All of our rights are GOD given rights that no one can take from us no matter what they do. Sooooo maybe next time you will take the time to think things out before writing next time.

from phantomfly wrote 31 weeks 6 days ago

Botfly,

Skip the cannabis for a week and re-think. Everyone else: enjoy the outdoors as you please.

from Daniel Fox wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

Blowfly Basher

What you say is all well and good but I wonder how you feel about the poor chickens that had to be "killed" by the millions to provide you with a piece of fried chicken or a chicken nugget?

Also can't imagine anyone who even reads this blog that wouldn't eat ham or bacon. What do you think? Think it comes from a real pig that was "killed" so you could eat it, nahhh, just some imaginary bacon plant.

Or maybe that burger you ate didn't really come from a cow that was killed.

Your writing stinks of hipocracy. If you eat anything with protein in it that came from an animal, it was killed somehow by someone so it could be served to you.

Like I said, it's all well and good to propose that you are above others in your thinking about hunting because poor defenseless little animals are being killed and you as an environmentalist feel it is inhumane somehow, but it's obvious you never got into the sport, or actually ever spoke to a Real conservationist who would tell you that without hunting there would be more animals getting hit by cars, dying from disease, etc, and the predator population would greatly increase along with the others as well.

Owning a gun doesn't put you in the same world as a hunter. I own a car but that doesn't make me a race care driver. I'm glad you're a responsible gun owner, cheers, but just because you don't use it for anything except shooting innocent paper and cans, doesn't mean you're a sportsman at all. Obviously by your comments you know little of true sportsmanship.

I suppose you feel lining animals up at a slaughter house and capping them in the brain or slicing their throat one at a time while they hang is actually better for the environment or somehow more humane though so I won't go there.

Go ahead, take your camera and get those wonderful pictures, just don't get in my line of fire.

from Daniel Fox wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

Blowfly Basher

Or maybe that burger you ate didn't really come from a cow that was killed.

from dudleyhow wrote 31 weeks 4 days ago

No more bashing.It's a waste of time and energy.Everyone take whatever type of weapon you want to the field and start shooting .Whether it be a Sharps buffalo gun of real nice camera with telescopic lens. It don't matter.Just go out and enjoy the outdoors that GOD has given us. There's no reason to go at each other like that.To each his or her's own .ENJOY the outdoors.

from Will Brantley wrote 31 weeks 3 days ago

Blowfly Basher, there a couple things I'd like to say:

- I have a good camera and lens, and I know how they work. Together, they cost about double what my .30-06 costs. (But not near what your African nitro caliber rifles cost.)

- The cost of my rifle or camera is irrelevant. I plan to shoot the buck in the video with a bow.

from Bucks and Clucks wrote 29 weeks 4 days ago

Blowfly Basher,
I won't deny that there is some "conservationists" who claim to be making mother nature run correctly. However, the majority of hunters, and all of the hunters I know, hunt because they enjoy the challenge and the peacefullness, and eat most of what they kill.

from daveyn wrote 32 weeks 19 hours ago

from phantomfly wrote 31 weeks 6 days ago

Botfly,

from Daniel Fox wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

Blowfly Basher

Or maybe that burger you ate didn't really come from a cow that was killed.

from Daniel Fox wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

Blowfly Basher

Or maybe that burger you ate didn't really come from a cow that was killed.

from bscrandall wrote 32 weeks 1 day ago

from Twinsarchery wrote 32 weeks 20 hours ago

I'm ready for Saturday here in NC. Scent free and pumped!

from Twinsarchery wrote 32 weeks 20 hours ago

I'm ready for Saturday here in NC. Scent free and pumped!

from Mi guy wrote 32 weeks 5 hours ago