Scrape Activity On the Rise

Overall Activity Status: Most hunters who have been reporting good daytime activity have been hunters who got their deer. But this changes a lot from one area to the next.

Fighting: It looks like themadflyfisher got lucky, watching a couple of mature bucks fighting. Obviously this is the time they do it.

Rub & Scrape Making: Rubs are pretty numerous now, although several hunters have said there are not as many rubs this year as usual. This is the sort of thing that people tend to do, make things out to be most or least. Probably there is truth in it, though, because deer hunters have trained themselves to be observant.

The big scrape that I have been watching since late August came alive again this week. Two bucks visited it on successive nights. I find it interesting that their visits were about an hour different. The first, a 5-point, came in October 7 at 7:01 p.m. The other, a 7-point, came in at 8:09 p.m. Neither stayed long. The 5-point sniffed the overhanging limb and stayed only about a minute. The 7-point sniffed the scrape, then it scraped. It stayed only a couple of minutes.

All of the bucks and most of the does that have visited this scrape did so at night. So placing a stand nearby probably would not make a lot of sense. A lot of things make bowhunting very challenging, especially that during early bowhunting seasons, deer, and bucks more so than does, move mostly at night. That changes in rifle seasons because more hunters are moving around, getting deer moving. The rut makes hunting much better because bucks move much more during the day once does start coming into heat.

Chasing: No reports of bucks chasing does this week.

Daytime Movement: Very little daytime movement, with the exception of our most remote areas in the north.

Estrous Signs: No estrous signs reported yet, but it could happen any time now.

X Factor: I cannot emphasize this enough: Carry a grunt tube and use it. When you operate it correctly, you should have a high degree of success at bringing bucks you have already seen closer.

If possible, get a grunt tube that can be tuned. I have had my best results using a grunt tube that is higher pitched than most. After my favorite grunt tube wore out, my success with grunt tubes dropped, but not so much that I would ever give up my grunt tubes. Maybe I get a little silly about them. I have probably more than a dozen, and I know I will buy more before long.

from gjonaj1 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Hi all. Just got back from an afternoon hunt. I was watching a 7 point and a mommy w 2 fawns about 2 hours before sundown feeding, playing and the buck chasing the mommy doe around a food plot. Just before sundown about half a dozen more does and another small eight came out and was joining in on the fun. Rub and scrape activity as well has picked up a lot in my area of central n.y. Good luck and be safe..

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Starting to see more scrapes but rubs are still few and far where I'm hunting. Although a friend a couple miles from me says he's seeing new rubs almost daily.
Did some scouting today and saw a group of 5 doe out and about around 3pm feeding enjoying the warm day. Other than that I haven't been seeing much daylight activity.

from Raccoon Creeker wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

not seeing a lot of scrapes or rubs, and havent seen much daylight movement at all lately

from sethompson8 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

You mention that correct usage of a grunt tube can be a good tool. What do you consider correct usage of a grunt tube at this time of year? Just wondering as I have not had much luck with them. I am in southwestern PA and recently finding a good amount of rubs and a few scrapes.

from ADiSant12 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I hunt in Western NY and haven't seen much activity besides feeding going on (including scrapes), that is until tonight. Saw three doe come out of a thicket behind my stand, acting calm and not very weary at all. It wasn't til about five minutes later that a small 6 pt buck came in behind them grunting with his nose to the ground and chasing which ever doe he could get close too. Isn't this pretty early for this all to be happening and if so does this mean that the Rut is in fact coming early this year like experts have been mentioning?

from gjonaj1 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago