Bucks Are Fighting and Following

Overall Activity Status: Deer activity certainly has picked up over the past few days. This may be due to a combination of cooler weather, more does coming into heat, and the moon phase.

Fighting: Finally I have gotten a report of bucks fighting, although we were quite certain even before that they were fighting. A hunter in southwest Pennsylvania reported watching two bucks going at it. Neither were large. They were pretty evenly matched, the hunter said.

One of the more humorous reports came from the western tier of Pennsylvania, where Larry F. Seneta had his life-size archery deer target attacked viciously by a buck. The attack was so vicious that the buck replica (what’s left of it is shown above) was torn to pieces.

Rub & Scrape Making: Both ribs and scrapes are being made at a faster pace now. This probably will continue.

Chasing: Bucks have been chasing does for at several days, and I received a belated report about a buck taken in the latter half of October by Chad Foster in Mercer County, Pennsylvania. Foster’s buck, the 8-point with a 19-3/4-inch spread shown below, was chasing a doe.

Daytime Movement: Daytime movements are still relatively infrequent. Very likely the main reason for this is the abundance of mast over much of our region. Deer do not have to travel much to find adequate food.

Estrous Signs: Bucks are hanging very close to the does now.

X Factor: It is getting down to the nitty-gritty now. While I would not call this a rut peak, if it stays this way for long there will not be enough non-bred does left to have a peak. I am wondering if what we will get this year is a long, drawn-out semi-peak instead of three or four days of deer orgy.

Bottom line: Spend every bit as much time hunting as possible for the next couple weeks…as if any of us need an excuse for that.

from Jeannette Lillian wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

November 6, 2012-Southern New York:-Putnam/Westchester Cty: I have been hunting hard the last week after Sandy left the area and Rut activity is minimal to none in the areas I hunt. Today, at 0730hrs, I had one small 7pt. come into my area with his head somewhat down but not chasing or seeking. Please update anhone in the area of southern New York.

from MarkStapleton wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I hunted Friday through Sunday this past weekend in Northeast Ohio. All of the deer movement was between 11 am and 1 pm. I saw 8 does to one spike buck. He was giving a half hearted chase to a doe but she showed no interest in him. Scrapes are opening up and have found a few rub lines but the big boys have been scarce. Hearing the same thing from friends in the area as well.

from steve182 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

In nj i have seen some daytime buck activity both morning and afternoon. I love the 9-11a.m hour personally during the rut. Also i have noticed at one spot deer with the turkeys, so i bring a turkeycall when i hunt there.
As per the photo above, our archery target would get attacked this time of year every year at my dad's place, to the point i use a block target now. Always at night. Decoying not a bad idea right now for the aggressive hunter.

from steve182 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

mark, the midday activity may have been due to the full moon, though in November any time of day is a good time to be in the woods,

from ChrisUng wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I arrowed a nice 8 point on Friday morning. I hadn't seen any action by 8am so grunted I a challenge sequence with my Mad Hyper Growl (GREAT call by the way). He immediately came in from 100+ yards off, ears pinned and looking for a fight. A quick mouth bleat stopped him right in front of me at 18 yards, and my arrow was perfect. He walked 30 yards, arched his back and fell… I’d say he was dead within 15 seconds of the shot.

While I'm happy to be tagged out, the worst part is, an hour later when I came back with my deer cart, I bounced a much bigger buck from right under my stand. Oh well… I just didn't have time to be that patient this year. Maybe he’ll be there next year too.

from longbeards wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I live in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia. The rut is just starting to kick in, I say this after spending 4 or 5 evenings a week and 2 or 3 mornings in treestands. Have seen small bucks traveling, but the mature older bucks are still showing up on my game cams well after dark. Rubs and scrapes are starting to show! CANT FRIGGIN WAIT!!

from Tim Algozzine wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Upstate, NY Hudson Valley

Nov 5th Night (spotted with Nightvision) - Two large 8pt class deer battling very ferociously for several minutes, horns locked for a minute at a time and then one chased off the other.

Nov 6th Morning - Small spike lightly chasing two dows out of a field into the woods.

Nov 7th Morning - 4pt chasing a dow through neighbors yard, chasing hard.

Nov 7th Evening - Small spike milling around a few does making the does nervous and they would run off. Large 8pt spotted with nightvision just feeding in a field after making a small scrape.

from Alyssa Johnston wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Somerset County, PA
Nov 6th Evening -small buck at 430 pm, larger buck(shooter for me) walked right through my preferred shooting lane at 15 yards, only problem was I had just packed allmy gear up ready to leave.

Nov 7th Morning - Most amazing sit in a tree stand ever! 8:30 am hit a doe bleat a few times followed by a few grunts, 30 seconds later a 4 pt charges up the hill to 50 yards or so. Few minutes later nice 8 pt came within 10 yds couldn't move, then walked behind me stood up and did everything but draw back, never gave me a shot. Saw 2 more small bucks chasing does until 10 am, then had to go to work...seriously considered playing hooky! O well Friday and Saturday can't come soon enough!

from Raccoon Creeker wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

i grazed a nice 8s back on saturday quartering away hard at 20 yards thought he was at 25, he was hangin with some does and he came right in to my grunts

from johnjf wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

mmm ribs lol

from ChrisUng wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from Jeannette Lillian wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from MarkStapleton wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from longbeards wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from Tim Algozzine wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Upstate, NY Hudson Valley

Nov 7th Morning - 4pt chasing a dow through neighbors yard, chasing hard.

from Alyssa Johnston wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago